Bronze distributor drive

-

Thenwhat85

built not bought
Reaction score
Hello all im putting together my 440 race engine. With a solid roller cam. My question is my distributor drive gear got chewed up while i was turning the shortblock by hand. Everything spun and felt smooth. I held the drive down by hand while rotating engine and i could see little chunks of bonze coming off. The oil pump is not installed (no that im typing this that could have something to do with it) so where do i do from here shim the gear? new parts? Take cam out? Thanks

If you can't get/find a bronze gear on a shaft already, Crane Cams sells a gear compatible with ANY cam gear. It is also sold through Hughesengines.com.

was it lubed? was it wicked tight in the bushing? how could it get junked when it was not even working to spin the pump

mAYBE THE BUSHING IS DAMAGED? nicked OR SOMETHING IN THE SHAFT OPENING?

Really? REALLY? First install the oil pump. It holds the intermediate shaft in alignment. Is the bushing new and installed correctly? Did you inspect the cam gear before installing it for proud metal or flaws?

If you can't get/find a bronze gear on a shaft already, Crane Cams sells a gear compatible with ANY cam gear. It is also sold through Hughesengines.com.

It is a huge pain in the *** to install and it comes with a few caveats. Read the instructions carefully before you buy one. Yes I have used them successfully and I won't install them in a customers engine.

It is a huge pain in the *** to install and it comes with a few caveats. Read the instructions carefully before you buy one. Yes I have used them successfully and I won't install them in a customers engine.

I know they had some issues with them. I thought they had them sorted out. I've never used one.

If your suggesting NOT to use the bronze gears, what do you suggest using with a roller cam. I am getting ready to do this also and don't want to mess up a gear and waste money?

Please elaborate as I am very interested in knowing.

If your suggesting NOT to use the bronze gears, what do you suggest using with a roller cam. I am getting ready to do this also and don't want to mess up a gear and waste money?

FWIW, I think (?) IQ52 and rumblefish360 are referring to a steel, 'treated' gear sold by Crane and Hughes that is supposed to be compatible with roller cams. A while back I called Crane out of curiosity and they said the coating is not tough enough for a high volume/high pressure oil pump and that it is meant to be used with a standard pressure oil pump. I dunno, hopefully IQ will get back to us!

Last edited:
Well that would be good, because I run a standard oil pump, nothing fancy.

FWIW, I think (?) IQ52 and rumblefish360 are referring to a steel, 'treated' gear sold by Crane and Hughes that is supposed to be compatible with roller cams. A while back I called Crane out of curiosity and they said the coating is not tough enough for a high volume/high pressure oil pump and that it is meant to be used with a standard pressure oil pump. I dunno, hopefully IQ will get back to us!
we ran a bronze gear on a 426 hemi for 14 yrs (785 lift solid roller, and a hi volume pump ) w/ no wear. I have a hughs bought, coated steel gear on my billet solid roller cam now, w/ a hi volume oil pump, in a 505" wedge, so far so good ! jfyi

Yes there is engine assembly lube on it, the cam gear is back against the thrust bearing. The drive shaft turns free in the bushing and has no excessive play. I did not inspect the cam or the drive. Ill do that tonight. Its a milidon drive gear. Its just weird that it turns smooth but can see bronze wearing off

I use and will continue to use bronze geared intermediate shafts.

Please elaborate as I am very interested in knowing.
Maybe I'm lazy. They sell you the gear only and you have to install it on the shaft of your choice. The operation has never been a pleasant experience. You are to use a new gear on a new cam only. The lifetime expectancy of the bronze geared intermediate shaft has never been a problem for me. They are easy to exchange. You pop one out and the other in.

I use and will continue to use bronze geared intermediate shafts.

Maybe I'm lazy. They sell you the gear only and you have to install it on the shaft of your choice. The operation has never been a pleasant experience. You are to use a new gear on a new cam only. The lifetime expectancy of the bronze geared intermediate shaft has never been a problem for me. They are easy to exchange. You pop one out and the other in.
And so there was problems with the Crane gear when you used it?

I quote myself from post #14 and #6, "Maybe I am lazy." and "....I have used them successfully..........."

I will not use another one. I will stick with bronze on a billet steel cam.

BUT you won't install them in a customers engine.....
The come with a few cave eats....

And so I ask your lazy *** again....

Or are you just going to be a crabby *** cryptic writing PIA today. I have a good idea for you. Go get yourself some coffee and realize what a great day today is and all the blessing you have.

Perhaps when you wake up and smile back at this post with a laugh, you can actually help instead of showing off how much of a limp our your being.

Now don't reply to me yet, go get yourself some coffee and wake up.
Shed your chit *** crabby tude.

BUT you won't install them in a customers engine.....
The come with a few cave eats....

And so I ask your lazy *** again....

Or are you just going to be a crabby *** cryptic writing PIA today. I have a good idea for you. Go get yourself some coffee and realize what a great day today is and all the blessing you have.

Perhaps when you wake up and smile back at this post with a laugh, you can actually help instead of showing off how much of a limp our your being.

Now don't reply to me yet, go get yourself some coffee and wake up.
Shed your chit *** crabby tude.

This a day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Coffee? PHEW! I don't like drinkin' coffee and I don't like installin' them gears.

Here, if you want to try one, Hughes has done all the work for you and me.

Disclaimer: I have never used one of Hughes shafts. I wonder how good their rotor phasing turns out?

Hughes Engines

Donno about the Fish, but the guy with the low IQ is all for it.

Subscribed. ..looking at Melling M72 std vol high psi pump and IS72 HP intermediate shaft. These will be used with used (10000 mile) 270S cam. New bronze bushing
Any foreseen issues?
Thanks. Sorry to hijack...seems like a good thread for my question

**Edit** looks like the IS72 is NOT the hp version. The HP version is 12720.
Advice on previous post?

-
Back