Brush fire jumps Interstate 15 in California, cars burning on highway

-
That thing is disturbing as hell. There's plenty of room around those cars. Couldn't some of those idiots moved a few feet and let the cars near that truck move away?

Morons. Complete idiots. Christ I hate the pubic

Catching the news on this now. Looks like CHP stopped traffic and that's when they burned......

Russell Allevato, 45, of Southgate, Michigan, was traveling from Las Vegas to Los Angeles with his two teenage daughters, his nephew and his nephew's girlfriend.

"It was total smoke and all the cars just started to stack and the fire got closer to us, and everyone started running up the hill," he said. "Hundreds and hundreds of people running up the hill."

Their rental car was among those destroyed.

"All our stuff was charred and gone," Allevato said by phone as he rode in the back of a California Highway Patrol vehicle.
http://www.kcra.com/news/wildfire-spreads-across-socal-freeway-burns-cars/34227196

Here's a video showing more of the incident, as well as an interview with Russell Aleveto from Michigan

http://abc7.la/1Od4dYc

And the rest of the article
http://abc7.com/news/north-fire-shu...ars-prompts-evacuations-in-cajon-pass/859747/

Now, for this

That thing is disturbing as hell. There's plenty of room around those cars. Couldn't some of those idiots moved a few feet and let the cars near that truck move away?

Morons. Complete idiots. Christ I hate the pubic

The fire jumped the freeway ahead of where the cars were burned, effectively trapping all of the cars behind that point on the road. Initially everyone was told to stay in their cars, but as the fire came up to the road everyone abandoned their cars for safer ground. So, there wasn't anyone there to move the cars when they started burning, the driver's had already abandoned their cars for safety. After that they were kept away from the burning vehicles, not allowed to go back and move their cars away from those that were still burning.

With a fire that intense and moving that fast, the radiant heat would keep you from wanting to be within a hundred feet of the flame front. Maybe further. As the fire approached, you'd want to be as far from the edges of the road as possible to stay away from the fire and radiant heat. With wind gusts up to 45 mph and the type of dry brush that's there, the wildland fire would move through VERY quickly, probably not much slower than the windspeed. It would ignite the cars closest to the edge of the road that the fire approached from, or any that managed to trap burning embers. But the cars burn for a lot longer, so even after the wildland fire has come and gone the cars will continue burning for some time, and continue to catch nearby cars on fire as well. At that point, you'd want to be back out on the edges of the road, away from the other cars. But again, the driver's had left their vehicles and/or been evacuated.

The semi-truck fire burned so hot the lanes of the freeway were damaged.

Californian's aren't the only ones that use California's freeways...

http://www.kcra.com/news/wildfire-spreads-across-socal-freeway-burns-cars/34227196

Here's a video showing more of the incident, as well as an interview with Russell Aleveto from Michigan

http://abc7.la/1Od4dYc

And the rest of the article
http://abc7.com/news/north-fire-shuts-down-15-fwy-burns-cars-prompts-evacuations-in-cajon-pass/859747/

Now, for this

The fire jumped the freeway ahead of where the cars were burned, effectively trapping all of the cars behind that point on the road. Initially everyone was told to stay in their cars, but as the fire came up to the road everyone abandoned their cars for safer ground. So, there wasn't anyone there to move the cars when they started burning, the driver's had already abandoned their cars for safety. After that they were kept away from the burning vehicles, not allowed to go back and move their cars away from those that were still burning.

With a fire that intense and moving that fast, the radiant heat would keep you from wanting to be within a hundred feet of the flame front. Maybe further. As the fire approached, you'd want to be as far from the edges of the road as possible to stay away from the fire and radiant heat. With wind gusts up to 45 mph and the type of dry brush that's there, the wildland fire would move through VERY quickly, probably not much slower than the windspeed. It would ignite the cars closest to the edge of the road that the fire approached from, or any that managed to trap burning embers. But the cars burn for a lot longer, so even after the wildland fire has come and gone the cars will continue burning for some time, and continue to catch nearby cars on fire as well. At that point, you'd want to be back out on the edges of the road, away from the other cars. But again, the driver's had left their vehicles and/or been evacuated.

The semi-truck fire burned so hot the lanes of the freeway were damaged.

was up and down that "hill" a few times when I lived out there. long steep mogator, let me tell you! name caller-basher on here sucks, he probably would have been the first to run !!

I live near the bottom of that pass. Been up and down it a hundred times. And it ain't no joke. Real steep and you can see clouds funnel thru it. Everything's worse in the pass. Blown over big rigs are a common sight when the winds kick up. I have seen down hill traffic averaging 90-100 MPH. Yeah people can be nuts. Even seen the aftermath of a major train wreck. Bout 4 engines and all the cars flew off the tracks on a curve right into a neighborhood. Unreal sight. That stretch of road is something else.

Hemi71x,you flew F-4s? Anything to do with them is cool cause that is one BAD BIRD. I remember when the Angels and T-birds flew em. Absolutely awesome !

My brother was on the pass , called Cajon pass, and he was told to stop and stay in his truck. He drove on the shoulder thru the flames and got the hell out of there. Yes some people are stupid, just sit there and let it burn. And that pass seems like nothing but it is nothing to be able to coast 100 mph going south. Lost my brakes on a POS semi I was driving on that pass, I flew by the scale house almost 100 mph, and that is going level where the scale is.

When I can't see the road I don't care I hammer down.its not my fault I'm a moron.Dont matter if it's fire smoke ,fog ,rain,ice,flodding,or snow

Hemi71x,you flew F-4s? Anything to do with them is cool cause that is one BAD BIRD. I remember when the Angels and T-birds flew em. Absolutely awesome !

No, i wasn't a pilot, or navigator, but a flight line, crew chief, maintenance mechanic, taking care of the RF-4C models, during my enlistment in the 1970's.

A lot of postings are gone from this thread, as a moderator had to clean it up, due to a member posting a stupid, inflamatory remark, that had to be taken down.

If anyones wondering what I'm replying to here.

-
Back