Bucket SeatBacks

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some tips on refurbishing the hard style plastic bucket seatbacks on the 70-72 style A-Body seats?

Mine are pretty faded & I was thinking to maybe paint them.

Thanks in advance for your input & ideas :thumblef:

I know years ago when I worked at a Ford Dealer we used to paint the plastic interior trim pieces with a special vinyl paint. Worked well.

Clean them very very good first, then shoot them with a self etching primer and then follow up with a rattle can of Plastic paint in black or what ever color your in need of.

I cleaned mine very well and then put several light coats of Krylon satin black from Walmart. It turned out very nice and still looks good after 1 year.

You can use auto paint on them just add flex additive. they have special cleaners for plastic that wont eat it.

Spray them with extra thinned laquer black light wet coats. Do not use primer. If the paint wears you will see the color change. It will bite in and never peal. You won't get it off with stripper when done. They will look new.

SEM makes a dynamite interior paint for plastic, The trick to make it last and not peel
is to clean them very well when you think there clean clean them again, I use Fantastic mixed 50/50 with water
and a scrub brush then a wash with wax and silicone remover,Spray light coats until it's covered, And they will mix it to mach your int colour.
Ed.

I know years ago when I worked at a Ford Dealer we used to paint the plastic interior trim pieces with a special vinyl paint. Worked well.

:thumblef: Thx mrdodge.........Bought some paint from Ace Hardware that's for plastic.

Clean them very very good first, then shoot them with a self etching primer and then follow up with a rattle can of Plastic paint in black or what ever color your in need of.

I cleaned them with Simple Green, then rinsed 'em a bunch. Thx for your ideas :thumblef:

And Yes....Black is the color

just did mine 2 weeks ago got a adhesion promoter in rattle can then vinyl paint both from kragans looks really good and stuck well.

When I did mine, seats, trim etc. I used Duplicolor vinyl dye, you can get it in gloss or satin finish. I cleaned everything, scrub a dub dub, and then I applied a coat of adhesion promoter and then follow it up with light coats of the dye.

Dash Pad
View attachment dash after.jpg

Back seat
View attachment BS Installed.JPG

I went with the satin.

Here's a couple of before pics after being washed/scrubbed. They're still a bit wet, but you can see what they looked like...

Attachments

• P1090872.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 195
  • P1090873.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 166
Are you thinking gloss? Reason I ask is if you look at your panels you can see some chalking. I did my sail panels with regular satin black paint and you can still kinda see it. It might not show if you use gloss.

I cleaned mine very well and then put several light coats of Krylon satin black from Walmart. It turned out very nice and still looks good after 1 year.

I'm hoping these turn out good too....Thx!!

You can use auto paint on them just add flex additive. they have special cleaners for plastic that wont eat it.

I don't have any experience with a paint gun, but thx for your input!

Spray them with extra thinned laquer black light wet coats. Do not use primer. If the paint wears you will see the color change. It will bite in and never peal. You won't get it off with stripper when done. They will look new.

I think you're talking about spraying them with a paint gun? I bought some adhesion promoter in a rattle can. It was kinda expensive $18

I bought some adhesion promoter in a rattle can. It was kinda expensive $18

Holy guacamole, I just bought two cans for less than that, ouch. It makes a difference IMO though. I just did the panels in my wife's car and they turned out great.

SEM makes a dynamite interior paint for plastic, The trick to make it last and not peel
is to clean them very well when you think there clean clean them again, I use Fantastic mixed 50/50 with water
and a scrub brush then a wash with wax and silicone remover,Spray light coats until it's covered, And they will mix it to mach your int colour.
Ed.

I cleaned and scrubbed them with a brush using Simple Green.......Then I used some brake cleaner on them before spraying the adhesion promoter.

I'm not familiar with silicone remover... :scratch:

Thx for your help :thumblef:

just did mine 2 weeks ago got a adhesion promoter in rattle can then vinyl paint both from kragans looks really good and stuck well.

I had a 1/2 can of adhesion promoter (duplicolor brand) left over from another occasion, but it was outta pressure. It wasn't that old.....Dang :protest:

When I did mine, seats, trim etc. I used Duplicolor vinyl dye, you can get it in gloss or satin finish. I cleaned everything, scrub a dub dub, and then I applied a coat of adhesion promoter and then follow it up with light coats of the dye

I went with the satin.

The paint I purchased from Ace Hardware was a satin finish, but I'm not happy with the outcome.....It's too glossy IMO :banghead:

Here's a couple pics

Attachments

• P1090883.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 199
  • P1090885.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 182
Bad Sport....Your covers look awesome. What a great color!! I bet she's happy you're fixing up her car :thumblef:

I ended up going back to Ace Hardware and purchased the same paint, but in a flat sheen instead. They look much better now IMO.

It may have been the paint brand causing the problem with the sheen. I normally love the look of satin, but not this time......:scratch:

Attachments

• P1090889.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 152
  • P1090894.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 172
Bad Sport....Your covers look awesome. What a great color!! I bet she's happy you're fixing up her car :thumblef:

Yeah, it's a Mercury Comet. She used to drive one in High School, I found it sitting next to a barn not too far from the house.

It's even a movie star, lol. It was in "Kill the Irishman" filmed in Detroit 2 years ago.

Attachments

• movie pic2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 164
They came out great, I had said self etching primer in my first post, but I meant to say adhesion promoter and yeah, the stuff is way to expensive.

-
Back