Bucket seats

-

DdgeDartboi

the beast
Reaction score
alright well i just got a good deal on some bucket seats for my 71 swinger..... the only problem is they are not mopar seats they are GM seats out of a chevelle..... i put them in not bolting them down and they seem to fit alright and they work fine i just have to free up the slides... they sort of got rusted a little bit..... but anyways.... has anyone ever done this or something similar i am looking to see if this could cause a problem in the future or not..... if anyone could please help and let me know if these seats will work it would be much appreciated... but like i said i do believe they will work all i have to do is drill the mounting holes for them.... well thanks for reading and i look forward to hearing from you guys

Toby

when you drill the holes make sure they are not just into the sheet metal(the thin stuff) you want as many of the studs to go threw to the braces. O and ya you could find some problems...people b!tch!n cause you have chebby seats...in a mopar..... :sad9: poor mopar :sad2:

yeah well i knew that would be a problem but the seats are only in there for the time being so i can go ahead and put my floor shifter in and all that good stuff... mainly just so i can drive it.... so please MOPAR GODS forgive me for i have sinned i have put 2 chevy seats inside my dart... please watch and protect me from these evils that may come my way long enough for me to find some mopar buckets :drinkers: AMEN

As long as they fit and work then go for it. Doubtful you will have the luxury of having the bolts align with any brace underneath so I'd be tempted to maybe just make up some plates to use underneath and then bolt them in using large body washers etc. Just to spread the load on the floor and try to make sure not to fatigue it. Think that is probably the most important part. Oh and I'd seal everything once tightened in. I did read somewhere that silicone was not the way to go though as it held moisture or something. Could be remembering that wrong. Anyway, think I'd make sure it had a good coat of paint and then undercoat it or something.

Best of luck with them. I'd double check clearances, alignment, height and also pay attention to where the studs would come through. Oh and once the seat would be mounted and it drops down the height of the studs (as you sit them on the floor pan to look for clearances etc.) does the seat still clear. On the bright side, if they don't work then Chevelle seats seem to be going for good money from what I've seen lately. At least you could maybe sell them and get enough money to purchase some Dart seats.

Cheers

even the factory buckets only bolted though good stuff at outboard holes. They added 1/8" X3X4 plates to the inboard holes through the floor pan.
I compare car seats to chairs in a room. They are all about the same.

too bad your not closer, my son needs a set for his chevelle, I got a set of buckets out of a duster. we might have been able to work out a trade

too bad your not closer, my son needs a set for his chevelle, I got a set of buckets out of a duster. we might have been able to work out a trade
There is a guy near me who has a set of GM buckets sittin in his shop. Thinks they came from a Nova. He's said several times he would bring them here so I could take pics and list them at ebay. Hasn't happened yet. I can check on those for you.

There is a guy near me who has a set of GM buckets sittin in his shop. Thinks they came from a Nova. He's said several times he would bring them here so I could take pics and list them at ebay. Hasn't happened yet. I can check on those for you.

ok thanks.allen

I put mid 70s Camaro seats in my 73 Swinger because I didnt want to pay the high price for originals, and well, I had them laying around. The work great and I even used the GM seat tracks, which I had to drill holes for. I fabbed up some bracing plates for underneath and spacers for the top side to get them just right. Just watch out for brake lines when drilling the holes, my car needed new ones when I was finished because I wasnt paying attention. ](*,)

Why would you want GM seats in a Mopar??????????????????

chevelle seats are worth a good bit of money, you could probably sell them for a good bit and buy a set of the right seats

I've got Volvo buckets in a '72 Ford...mounted on captains chair pedestals from an '89 B250 custom van. Pretty pimpin'- they rotate & lift forward while giving me headrests and shoulder belts. Thank God it's an F250, nobody looks at it with the ole "Stink eye." The GM and Mopar faithful will be a little more testy I imagine, but oh well, it's your car and parts!

I took a set of GM black buckets out of a 75 Duster. They fit fine but the mounting tabs had to be bent a little bacause the floor had the hump for the catalytic convertor. But, just as MoparBrit said, put some plates under the floorboard for strength and support. The thin sheet metal won't be enough.

Hey Moparman, does you son still need the seats for his Chevelle?

Ken
Edison, NJ
[email protected]

I have a set of black buckets out of a 70 dart and a set of black out of a 72 Demon,
I might do some trade on the chevy seats. I have a 72 elco ss parts chaser.
send me some pics!!
I am in Arkansas

-
Back