budget 360 looking for a performance cam setup

-

84roadster

Reaction score
I am trying to build a 85 360. keith black 107 .30 over. 2.02 J heads I am going to run a 727 no converter yet. trying to get together on the cheep. had a last minute hip replacement and on heal now so going stir crazy. So to the point wondering if anyone has a used good cam etc laying around they would like to sell. I also would like to find correct springs for the cam. heads have been prted and polished. and am running a 8 3/4 and 3.55 gear. was a slant six car. I have been trying to convert for a while to my 360 when I get it together.
thanks for your time and your thoughts

Cams are cheap , I wouldn't was time or money on used .
You have time it sounds like call some cam companies and ask them what they think ?
Most will steer you in the right direction .
Hope your hip heals fast.

Summit racing cam and lifter kit. sum-k50062 145.00 Cam has good reviews. Use comp 901 springs. Should work with stock retainers. Always buy new locks they are less than 10 bucks. Should have less than 225.00 for all new parts.

If you can afford it, go with a new roller cam. Won't have to worry about special oils or additives, smoother, more power potential.

I am trying to build a 85 360. keith black 107 .30 over. 2.02 J heads I am going to run a 727 no converter yet. trying to get together on the cheep. had a last minute hip replacement and on heal now so going stir crazy. So to the point wondering if anyone has a used good cam etc laying around they would like to sell. I also would like to find correct springs for the cam. heads have been prted and polished. and am running a 8 3/4 and 3.55 gear. was a slant six car. I have been trying to convert for a while to my 360 when I get it together.
thanks for your time and your thoughts

I have a few parts laying around. PM me (start a conversation) and we can talk about what I have and what you may want to use.

How are you going top be using the engine and car? Street only? Race only? The cam follows the application.

If you're even thinking of used engine parts, find a new hobby.

People can disagree from the shadows and be pussies all they want, but I will never give advice of buying used engine parts when new ones can be had very affordably. I am sure the OP would disagree when a used camshaft fails and he has to do it all over again, money and all.

People can disagree from the shadows and be pussies all they want, but I will never give advice of buying used engine parts when new ones can be had very affordably. I am sure the OP would disagree when a used camshaft fails and he has to do it all over again, money and all.

It's just that's too much of a blanket statement. There's different kinds of used engine parts that can work out just fine. Heads, cranks, rods, carbs, etc.

It's just that's too much of a blanket statement. There's different kinds of used engine parts that can work out just fine. Heads, cranks, rods, carbs, etc.

His specific question was regarding the camshaft.

His specific question was regarding the camshaft.

Maybe I'm nit-picking but you said "used engine parts". You didn't specify particularly camshafts.

Personally, I'd prefer a new camshaft. Flat tappet cams are relatively cheap. My next cam will be roller though, that's why I recommended to splurge and go roller.

I bought a used Lunati Max Wedge cheater cam and lifters from Dan Dvorak back in 1986 when I didn't have a pot to piss in, stuffed it in my built 440 cobbled together 64 Sport Fury that was loaded with much used parts. No problems, thing was an animal, find a new hobby? Not. You do the best with what you can afford.

Sure you can and many people have, but I am not going to recommend to someone already on a budget to use used camshaft and parts. Ain't happenin. It's just not good help. I would hate to see the guy do it twice when he can barely afford it once.

I am going to just try erase this post. I am confused on Rustyratrod comments I guess will have to let it sit till I can buy all new parts.

Im sure you could tell the difference between a good used cam and lifters vs one with excessive wear, or improper break-in, the op maybe also. I personally wouldn't have a problem with running a used cam, if it were properly stored, protected, lifters in order, maybe a rare or obsolete cam, or if I only had so much to spend. At the least you'd have to be very critical of what "used" you're intending on using. If a used cam w/lifters was say $50-75, vs. new at $200+ that's a lot of dough for someone on a tight budget, just have to be discriminating.

I was getting to the fact that I have several NOS camshafts that I will never use. I was willing to pick one out and send it to you for the cost of shipping........as I have for many people on here in the past.

But after your PMs to me, I will just let it them lay on the shelf. I had your best interest in mind with new parts. I think I even have a set of matcing springs. But they can sit too.

I was getting to the fact that I have several NOS camshafts that I will never use. I was willing to pick one out and send it to you for the cost of shipping........as I have for many people on here in the past.

But after your PMs to me, I will just let it them lay on the shelf. I had your best interest in mind with new parts. I think I even have a set of matcing springs. But they can sit too.
Not sure what your deal is except for your hobby comment and telling me I am a asshole I never said anything except you must not have had hard times sorry you are pissed at me for trying to understand your get a new hobby. I am not looking for charity just some ideas or spare parts needing a new home. and like I said I metioned hard times and you flipped out with prophanities. I am sorry I ruined your evening

Not sure what your deal is except for your hobby comment and telling me I am a asshole I never said anything except you must not have had hard times sorry you are pissed at me for trying to understand your get a new hobby. I am not looking for charity just some ideas or spare parts needing a new home. and like I said I metioned hard times and you flipped out with prophanities. I am sorry I ruined your evening

LOL. I have no idea where you're comin from man. I commented to someone else here not to you and the next thing I know I am getting PMs from you. Trust me, I have as little interest in you as possible now. lol

LOL. I have no idea where you're comin from man. I commented to someone else here not to you and the next thing I know I am getting PMs from you. Trust me, I have as little interest in you as possible now. lol
who were you commenting to? I guess I assumed it was me ?

I think the bottom line here is, you should be helping out with what he seeks that with your opinion. That's the bottom-line either help or get out-of-the-way.

What about it? I was advising you to stay away from used engine parts. What's the problem? Do you need a safe space? I was simply trying to tell you to use NEW when it comes to camshafts and camshaft parts. Period. You decided to take it personally like a little pansy. My point was simply that you will have the best chance for success using NEW parts. Simple as that. Nothing more. Nothing less. You made it more. Not me.

I think the bottom line here is, you should be helping out with what he seeks that with your opinion. That's the bottom-line either help or get out-of-the-way.

Yeah whatever man. Did you not see what I was going to offer him?

-
Back