Budget build on the cheap

-

74swingerlover

Reaction score
Here is what I have lying around that I am just going to slap together....

82' 360 block, stock bore
stock stroke cast crank
9:1 flat top pistons
stock connecting rods
stock 340 cam
stock heads
edelbrock LD340 intake
holley 550
flowtech 1 5/8 headers
stock ignition

Clearly not a well thought out build but this is lying around and free. how much more power than a 318 2barrel should I expect?

It's gonna be a donkey with that cam, carb, and int I know its free but it would be suffering.....

You would need a 650-700 cfm carb... A performer rpm int or similar and a cam to match the car and engine specs..

HP will probably be 250-275.. my 318 is around 325hp

It's all about planning out the build and matching parts

I agree you need a better cam,carb,and intake.I would aleast up grade the cam for now.Later you can upgrade the carb and intake.

It'll be a nice street engine if you can get some more carb for it. The 340 cam is great. The LD340 is legandary. It's a good piece. Get a good 3310 750 and yer lookin at 300 HP. Maybe a little more with good tuning.

I also have 2 other cams lying around. A .484 lift and a .509++ I believe. Don't know duration but they are purple cams. Didn't want to "overcam" with stock heads. Might polish up the heads at home to try and get a little extra out of them.

I know it will need more carb.

sounds like it will end up being better than the stock 318. Should I go ahead???

Yeah. That 340 cam is the best match. It'll be nice.

Be a happy little pump gas street motor. Smooth idle, fairly responsive and pretty darn torky. Good intake to put on the 340 cam. Basically an aluminum copy of the original iron hp 340 int, which was state of the art in its day. Could use a little more carb tho.

Do it..I have a Ford buddy and he has put together a few motors with stuff he has laying around.He ends up having very little in them and they usally run pretty good.

Alright, sounds like I might be doing some wrenchin' tonight.

I found a guy in my city selling a rebuilt 3310 for $100. Is that a decent price. He also has the fuel rails for it.

Alright, sounds like I might be doing some wrenchin' tonight.

I found a guy in my city selling a rebuilt 3310 for $100. Is that a decent price. He also has the fuel rails for it.

Fantastic! That'll be a perfetct match. Might not even have to rejet it. That'll be a runnin little sumbitch for a slapped together motor. To me, those are some of the most fun.

It'll be a nice street engine if you can get some more carb for it. The 340 cam is great. The LD340 is legandary. It's a good piece. Get a good 3310 750 and yer lookin at 300 HP. Maybe a little more with good tuning.

I agree, though there are bigger cams...it does work well, very street friendly yet go's 6k with power.

Get a bigger carb, like 700-750cfm

The OE 340 cam is ok, IF you have any decent rear ratio in the car now, use the .484 cam over the stock 340 cam. The 750 will be great. Use the thin MoPar head gasket.

The LD340 is far from a aluminum copy of the OE 340 intake. Far from it!

I also should mention that the heads are X heads. better than the 593's it came with

A stock 360 is an upgrade over a 318. I think the 340 cam is good. Get those thin head gaskets like someone mentioned above to bring that compression up.

Just my .02 on the thin head gskts: have seen many an undecked block and not resurfaced head leak, spray out ex side, or worse with theese. Ok if both block & heads have been resurfaced, but only both, not just the heads.
I tend to be a little more cautious and would go with the .039 gskts. Not really worth the expense and Marginal compr increase.

The OE 340 cam is ok, IF you have any decent rear ratio in the car now, use the .484 cam over the stock 340 cam. The 750 will be great. Use the thin MoPar head gasket.

The LD340 is far from a aluminum copy of the OE 340 intake. Far from it!

x2 on this

The 484 would work well with some gear/converter if it's the 108LSA model and install it at 102ish. I wouldn't run the 114lsa model if it was given to me with some cash to boot, not a fan of that one.

LD340 as mentioned is not even close to a OE340 intake copy.

My guess, with a 750 holley and the 340 cam it would make around 320-325, about 365-375 with the 484 cam. Do some good port work on the heads into the 240 range, that number would go up a bit ~15-20hp.

Yup, your rite on the intake, i have both, wont run either of them, too slow. Just dragged them out and checked. Original is 180* opposite on runner design, planes reversed.
Shame on me upsetting the all knowing tech gods that way.
I wont run

The car currently has a bone stock 904 and a 8 1/4 with 2.76's.

Eventually going with a 727 and 3.55's

The 904 will be a better choice for you. A stock one will hold up fine for you.....much less one you go through. It will get a good bit more power to the ground.

The LD340 is a really good intake. The Air Gap and Performer are also great intakes as well but even with the technology being newer, they are very little gain even over the LD340.

With the current combination, the 340 cam is the way to go. With more gear and some stall, the 484 works well. The only thing that I think you need is more carb (650-750 range is ideal)...

The 904 only takes around 25hp to run as to where the 727 takes around 50hp to run =904 getting more power to the ground.

I found a guy on kijiji in my city selling thermal quads model #9057S,model#9046S,model#9100S.The other 2 are older model#3826S and model#4966S.. Are any of these worth putting on to substitute a 750? He wants $15 a piece or $50 for them all. I am sure they would need a re-build.

these carbs would help keep my build on a super budget.

Are any parts of these carbs interchangable?

they are really not that great, but can be made to work well depending on a few things...

g stock runs them and go into the 10's, but they also leave the line at 5k or so...which helps in the signal department because 1st the primarys are tiny...and 2nd...the secondaries are massive but without boosters to help stir it up...so they dont meter very well unless you're rev'n the motor a lot.
some people love them and think they are great when getting into the secondaries...but thats only because the primary feels so small that when you do get wot...it's like you just swapped a 280cfm 1 barrel for 900cfm ...1 barrel.lol no matter how bad the fuel mixing is...the increase in cfm overshadows it...but in reality you can have the best of both worlds by using a newer design carburetor like a holley, which has a booster in every hole btw.

-
Back