Budget Built Race Tranny?

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! Question is: Is it possible to have 727 tranny that can take 450 hp, 3800 stall, and 10.5 slicks all without gernading itself or the wallet?

I've seen performance race rebuild kits with stronger bands and what not for around $200, but is it worth the money? Should I just buy a brand new race tranny or can I get buy with a minimal build on my blown 727?

If anyone can name some quality build kits or proven companies with proper pricing, let me know.

The car is a stock weight 1970 Duster with a built 360 (.040 over) doing about 450 hp, with 3800 stall, and 3.91 gearing. The car is to be street driven while spending a good deal of time on the track as well.

A stock rebuild will take that all day unless you do something stupid. I like to run the red frictions and bands and a deep pan. I get my stuff from either bulkpart.com or Mancini Racing depending on the part. If you run a manual valve body, be very attentive to how you do the burnout and your street driving habits. Otherwise, no problem.

stupid is something that you can not fix..

but a stock rebuilt 727 will do just fine..

Nothing fancy in my tranny. Just a turbo action VB and a 4000 stall converter. has been low 10s.

lol.. stupid is running a stock trans and manual valve body and persisting in doing 1st gear burnouts and dry hops, and getting on and off the throttle doing a holeshot on the street. Those are all no-nos and can cause a catastrophic failure... see post above on exploding torqueflites.

I'm looking at the rebuild kit Mancini offers and will opt for the Cheetah reverse manual valve body. Should be a fun and durable combo I think. The kit is like $220. I'm not positive on the cost of the VB yet tho

a valve body talk to the fine people on here an get you one .an save ya a couple hundred . the one i bought from one of the members works just fine 50$. that's the savings of the trans kit plus some beer money on the side

www.moparenthusiast.com
enter your email address to receive the mag free online

there is about 6 pages that will describe alot of the issues when you throw HP, and slicks to a stock tranny

Ask around other Mopar guys in your area. With luck you can find someone who does them as a sideline. My last trans cost me $275. and its still kicking 6 years later.

$220 is alot to spend on a trans kit..but it is your money..

i once bought a kit from a fancey trans place...cost 180 bucks...opened the box up and found the metal clad seal kit were from transtar,...

the lip seals and seal kit was from transtar....

alto clutches and kolene disc were wrapped in saran wrap...

guess where i buy my trans parts from now...not the middle man.

Does anyone offer a heavy duty kit with the red friction disks and heavy duty bands all included?

most do not include the bands. But red frictions are not a big deal. Bulkpart.com has the red frictions and kolene steels in a master kit for $100. You still need the bushings and bands, but it aint a bad deal.

I took a look at that kit and am leaning towards that direction. Looks like a quality product from what I can tell!

-
Back