Budget drag car… B-Body or A-Body?

-
The engine is so big it has bolt patterns for either Chevy or Chrysler crank is drilled for hemi 8 bolt flywheel/flex plate. So transmission has options. I currently have a JW ultra power glide with Gear Vendor OD unit. It can easily handle the power. But heat will be a Pro for any "Street" type application. So still searching for options. Car does have setup for clutch pedal. They ran an A833 crashed boxed trans in the 70s behind an 800 HP 426 hemi.
There's always a Lenco?........my Cortina had one at one time.......

There's always a Lenco?........my Cortina had one at one time.......
Yeah. Lenco does solve some issues. I just don't like that multi lever design. I think there are shifter options?

Air shifter? PUSH BUTTONS!
Yeah. As you can see. I'm attempting to have my cake and eat it too? Lol. Unfortunately even Tremec doesn't have the "Ultimate" answer. But they are close with their manual transmission options.

G-force, Liberty, Jerico. I like the Jeffco transmissions. I think they have a single stick shifter option. And they have neutral, too. Volare or Aspen wagon is a good platform. Very quick with a big block and gears.

I've taken apart and built them all, except Cs. Like just said, the 67 and old Bs were better cars than the 68 up cars. My choice would be a 62-5 B and change out the rear tapered axle and go at it. Want cheap, get one in a more door flavor.
I agree, the Bs are a more substancial package than the As, they are compacts.

I have an A, B and E body. B-bodies have bigger everything. Torsion bars, Pitman, idler arm, tie rods, rear ends, engine options. What are you kidding?

A-bodies are compacts. B-bodies are mid size. C-bodies are full size. And E-bodies? Was an attempt to marry A&B in my opinion.
The #1 problem I have with E-bodies? (And this has been discussed plenty over at FEBO) Is that in my opinion? They are the least comfortable to drive and/or ride. Some disagree. But many agree.

Im sure ill get alot of red xs but imo the fox body mustang is probably the best chassis for a budget drag car. Just make sure its mopar powered lol. I want to build a drag only car I just hate to gut and chop up a classic mopar to do it. Maybe a parts car chassis that has already been gutted would be easier I doubt it tho.

What scares
Im sure ill get alot of red xs but imo the fox body mustang is probably the best chassis for a budget drag car. Just make sure its mopar powered lol. I want to build a drag only car I just hate to gut and chop up a classic mopar to do it. Maybe a parts car chassis that has already been gutted would be easier I doubt it tho.
There are alot of them at a local test & tune track day. Back in the day? Nova was the best budget build. But they may have too high of initial value today to be #1 budget option. The Fox body prices are rising too. So I'm guessing they falling out of the #1 budget build option spot?

8.25 are also c- clip, no thanks.
While more fragile, I don’t think he will be breaking any with a 5K budget. Even at the best full tilt effort he can muster.
B- bodies are usually more money than a-bodies and the price gap isn't small.
Depends on the year B body. So that is now moot.
The op is trying to build a drag car for 5k budget, or at least hypothetically & yeah a b-body is up above the weight of a full caged big block a-body, not the best place to be start. I will say it's easier to do stuff on a b-body like work on it,
Minus the price of the car, your not building a crazy high HP engine. The car he wants to build is not a heads up super speed demon. Just for fun. His dollar cap is hypothetical. As in a limit for forum members to limit there suggestions so he doesn’t have to scroll through “Get a stroker 2G HEMI from Barton!”
but a-bodies we're higher production, so cheaper. Except the prices aren't cheap by anymore.
Hence the suggestions of later year FMJ & B bodies since there often cheap.

And E-bodies? Was an attempt to marry A&B in my opinion.
It has been written that there birth was an attempt to enter the Pony car arena by simply shortening the B body. No A body thoughts were put into he design. Only bin parts in use already.

Yes F bodies are cheap!!!! Wagon heck yea. 2 years ago I had a complete rust free (not running) 77 that I could not get $500 for!! F's are usually light from rust!!!
I would hope one would keep some assembly of "Cool" factor. Otherwise why not K-car? I think they give them away?

While more fragile, I don’t think he will be breaking any with a 5K budget. Even at the best full tilt effort he can muster.

Depends on the year B body. So that is now moot.

Minus the price of the car, your not building a crazy high HP engine. The car he wants to build is not a heads up super speed demon. Just for fun. His dollar cap is hypothetical. As in a limit for forum members to limit there suggestions so he doesn’t have to scroll through “Get a stroker 2G HEMI from Barton!”

Hence the suggestions of later year FMJ & B bodies since there often cheap.

It has been written that there birth was an attempt to enter the Pony car arena by simply shortening the B body. No A body thoughts were put into he design. Only bin parts in use already.
I know. It was just my attempt at humor. They had their own sales issues. But #1? They were late to the "Pony" market.

In the 70s to 80s? Vega was tried as a cheap and fast build. But they all seem "Squirrely" when putting more serious power to them? Their station wagon models held up better.

My $700 ‘72 Duster, no drive train, I could have dumped in my daughters wrecked ‘00 Durango’s 5.9, (which is in my ‘79 Magnum currently) I purchased a $500 - 904 & spent money on a good torque converter, add speed parts of your own cost. For me, cheap summit headers and there exhaust kit, JY distributor & chrome box I have had for ever, cheap air cleaner. The only new part is the RPM intake. All else is stock.

As you see it is how I got it, minus the tires and wheels.

B262941A-2521-4B0F-8213-AB552FE42C0C.jpeg

$500 ‘79 Dodge Magnum. I did a 318 to 400 swap.
Cost price was the swap kit, headers and two mufflers and two lengths of 2-1/2 pipe.

As you see it is how I got it. Minus new tires and brakes….
B061D846-EAEB-41F8-A310-0B118F77D9D1.jpeg

I purchased this yesterday for $1,000.
140K, LS3 - 5.3
Needs spider gears. THATS IT!
Owner was old, tired & cranky, “I just don’t want to fix it.” He just did the transfer case. Dirty as heck!!!!

4CF2D2DC-F43B-4F15-AE27-D71E4A9EBABC.jpeg

Deals are out there if you keep your eyes and ears open.
I love it when people cry, ***** and claim to the world that a cheap car can’t be bought or it will require 7K just to work.

Give me a freakin break!!!!!

Total nonsense!!!!!

If IF you must have a certain car to use, run, drive, race, that’s on you! Your problem.
Don’t wanna drive a rusty car? Save your money and stop complaining about the entrance price. Get another flippin hobby!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

What scares me? Are the Chrysler C-bodies (letter cars) of the late 50s and early 60s. The build quality and level of detail. Their engine options starting with Gen 1 Hemi. Ending with Max Wedge. Restoration of one of them must be a NIGHTMARE?

So we can all debate later model options. But Grandpa will still thump us on quality. Even Cadillac, Mercedes, Rolls Royce tip their hats.

That F body wagon platform gives you a lot of rear overhang for traction advantage. Big hook with minimum outlay a little creativity. I used to have a ‘76 440 cop car motor with a 727 that I’d love to put in one. 4.88 gears and a loose converter on a near stock rebuild equals 11s.

Got to agree on the fox body. I had a V8 Vega that was heavier than my 302/t5 a/c fox. That was with NO attempt to lighten it. Around 2850. With the parts available to lighten a fox, and kits to put in almost any powerplant, it's little wonder there are so many on the small tire no prep circuit.

What scares me? Are the Chrysler C-bodies (letter cars) of the late 50s and early 60s. The build quality and level of detail. Their engine options starting with Gen 1 Hemi. Ending with Max Wedge. Restoration of one of them must be a NIGHTMARE?

So we can all debate later model options. But Grandpa will still thump us on quality. Even Cadillac, Mercedes, Rolls Royce tip their hats.

let me get this right your saying a 300 c body letter car ended production from the factory with a max wedge and not the standard BB wedge

-
Back