Budget drag car… B-Body or A-Body?

-
let me get this right your saying a 300 c body letter car ended production from the factory with a max wedge and not the standard BB wedge
No. I'm saying the top $$ builds of that era. They ended with 383 as standard. (If my memory serves me right?)

do you read what you type?
1960 Chrysler 300 F as an example. That's no ordinary BB? 413 crossram Max Wedge car.

1960-chrysler-300f-wedge-head-413cid-v8-with-cross-flow-intake_100785452_m.jpg

The cross ram is an interesting concept. It used the intake back pressure as boost. It was successful for street/drag race applications. But not so much for speedway. (Ultimately just more air restriction at higher RPM.)

Today of course it's obsolete with real boost options. But was out of the box thinking in its day. That engine dominated in its time. Ask any Chevy 409 lover.

the crossram is no max wedge it is a wedge with a crossram intake

While more fragile, I don’t think he will be breaking any with a 5K budget. Even at the best full tilt effort he can muster.

Depends on the year B body. So that is now moot.

Minus the price of the car, your not building a crazy high HP engine. The car he wants to build is not a heads up super speed demon. Just for fun. His dollar cap is hypothetical. As in a limit for forum members to limit there suggestions so he doesn’t have to scroll through “Get a stroker 2G HEMI from Barton!”

Hence the suggestions of later year FMJ & B bodies since there often cheap.

It has been written that there birth was an attempt to enter the Pony car arena by simply shortening the B body. No A body thoughts were put into he design. Only bin parts in use already.
Sounds like you really want to be right, have at it

what made a RB a max wedge was the head ports and intake ports along with the bigger valves which that crossram engine never had

Not necessarily intending to break it on purpose. Just wanting to find the limit of a budget setup. I’ve raced high dollar small block strokers and some mildly modded stock stuff. I had just as much fun with a junkyard 360 as a 416 stroker. I also worried less about pushing it hard. I guess where I’m going here is that I’d like to play on the extreme cheap side to see how much fun I can really have. Why spend 30k to enjoy the same fun for 5k. A little experiment if you will.
Gotcha. I had alot of fun in a stock 95 short box reg cab 5.2 truck I put about 100 passes in it, mid 14s & it pissed alot of people off because the truck & I were so consistent.

Max Wedge was 413 before 426. It's a 415 HP PowerPoint. Maybe we are stumbling on the word "Max Wedge" I'm not sure when they began calling?

1962 first year for max wedge 1964 last year for max wedge and there is no stumbling on my part it is or it isn't a max wedge and a crossram wedge is NOT a max wedge. i don't know how it can be mistaken for one. two totally different motors

what made a RB a max wedge was the head ports and intake ports along with the bigger valves which that crossram engine never had
Let’s not forget the solid lifter cam with adjustable rockers, forged dome pistons, and cast iron exhaust headers. By my guesstimate, their experience with that engine is how they figured out the RB Hemi was going to need cross bolted caps in it.

yes garrett but those things i figured were a waste of words on some one that obviously don't have a clue

Nope. Lost the car to a brake caliper failure with a single pot master. Just sheet metal damage, but I couldn't find a parts car. Scavenged everything possible, and cut up the rest.

do you read what you type?
If you're just going to *****? Try the NP threads? Plenty of you turds floating in that cesspool. Don't need here. The point of my post is the appreciation of that era build. Which you didn't once mention. And God I hope your kind don't touch. They need a hand that's beyond any A,B or E body fan. The next step up from them is like Duesenberg or something even crazy scary.

Thanks, FWIW, I’m of trying to be a dick. Just a counter point. Keep smiling friend!
:thumbsup:
Yes sir, you too. I was seeing your point & agreeing too I just never had the luck some have on getting deals.

Find an old police car with a 440 and go fast for little cash. Nothing more than a rear gear change will astound you!

Maybe a '78 Grand Fury 4 door with a Camper 440 ?
Just add around 6 pounds of boost with a B-W Turbo and enough converter to let it come up on boost quickly, but keep it geared high enough to take advantage of the boost as long as possible. Run it on a blow through e85 setup to intercool it.

Just add around 6 pounds of boost with a B-W Turbo and enough converter to let it come up on boost quickly, but keep it geared high enough to take advantage of the boost as long as possible. Run it on a blow through e85 setup to intercool it.
moparmaga I would like to hear more about the truck... I have an original owner 92 D150 5.2 reg cab / short bed that runs low 15s with a little work done to it ... I have Won way more with it ( over ten Eliminators / Finals ) than with my 68 Dart that has well over 65k in it.. the recent freshening on my backup 367 was over 6k..if I didn't have the D150 from new I would definitely build a Dakota

D3DE51FE-8D73-4E60-A541-416972E9CA23.jpeg

91C39193-793A-422B-98F0-D2AF552DF137.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back