Budget Mopar Police Car

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
So here is how I went about making myself a budget 60s police car. I had this idea rattling around for a couple years but couldn’t find a car suitable for the replica. Then along comes this beautiful boat of a vehicle: a 1965 Chrysler Newport 4 Door Hardtop with a 383, power steering, power drum brakes, A/C, and cruise. Little bit luxurious for a cop car but it plays the part well. I picked this thing up for $900 and brought home my new toy. The previous owner had installed a new gas tank and fuel pump, but they stopped driving it since the transmission had apparently stopped pulling.

First thing was to get the right front wheel from sticking which required some persuasion from a mallet and pry bar. The drum had stuck to the shoes from sitting so long. After that I took it for a short, and very slow, drive to get acquainted with my necessary parts list. The brakes stuck, the 2 barrel Stromberg was leaking everywhere, the power steering pump was missing an adjustment bolt, the alternator did not charge, and the exhaust drug the ground, yet I was grinning from ear to ear with the sway of my Chrysler boat as I tried to keep it between the ditches.

Here’s where the fun begins. I went to Summit and ordered all new wheel cylinders, brake shoes, brake hoses, and a master cylinder. Over the next few days I took my time and rebuilt all 4 brake assemblies. The brakes worked fine, but I could barely drive it from the awful carburetor and exhaust scraping. My temporary fix was to just unbolt the exhaust after the two manifolds Y together (sounded cool at first but got annoying after a while). Carrying a jump pack with you every time you want to start your car is just plain ridiculous, so an alternator was my next install. The carburetor was then replaced with a cast iron 4 barrel intake and a 1406 Edelbrock. That made a world of difference to the point where I could actually get this thing up to speed. 60 miles an hour and it floats!

Slowly my Chrysler became more trustworthy to the point where I felt I could drive it anywhere. Problem was it just didn’t look as cool as I wanted. So a friend of mine allowed me to borrow an old garage on his property for a little paint! Now notice in the pictures that this garage has dirt in the floor and holes in the wall, but it kept us out of the wind and cold. After 2 days of masking, sanding, and painting (with spray paint) I had the beginnings of a police car for only $100 in materials. Now there was no turning back from this.

My next job was making her look nice. I scored a working Peterson 759 beacon light for only $40 from a local swap meet. It just needed the lens repainted red instead of orange. After that I ordered an MS-290 siren from Amazon for around $15. In a couple of hours I had both mounted to switches under the dash and working. The neighbors weren’t too pleased with the siren but oh well. The finishing touches were the custom decals I had made (thanks mom). Not pictured is the C-65 on the fender for the car number. I’ll give you one guess about my inspiration for that!

I’m still not finished completely with it, but it’s very close. Other things I plan to get include some white line tires and exhaust. I have some other plans down the road but that is still in the “Is it too crazy?” stage.
All in all I have around $2000 invested so far including the cost of the car, so anyone can do this with enough patience!
Thank you for reading even though it’s a C body. I figured everyone could get a kick out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_4947.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_4950.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_4961.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 463
  • Chrysler 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_5714.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_5721.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_5956.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_5963.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_5965.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 473
awesome, I want a '68 B Body Adam 12 replica, love those cars.

that actually got the wheels in my head turning because I have a 68 satellite wagon, similar to the ADAM 12 car.

Great job!!! to the OP ....looks fantastic

that actually got the wheels in my head turning because I have a 68 satellite wagon, similar to the ADAM 12 car.

Great job!!! to the OP ....looks fantastic
Nice Sgt Macdonald Command car

Attachments

• dc316dbb6879282b0b0d0c876ccf18c4.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 400
Great looker; creative spin on that C-body. (And just make sure to cover up the beacon and door markings when driving it out and about).

I picked up a '68 Satellite this year which had been partially converted already, complete with the Federal Interceptor radio, though the previous owner did a very rough job of it (and the original 318 turned out to be shot). Sticking with the unmarked look, and the '80s Dippy 15x7's, and I've gone for the LAPD look with the period California tax exempt plate in front:

1zntm4y.jpg

wv1zlx.jpg

168u7b9.jpg

Keep it up with the Newport and don't skimp on the pictures!

-Kurt

awesome, I want a '68 B Body Adam 12 replica, love those cars.

I want one of them ultra rare Early 70s AMC Matador cop cars. If you look real close in the episodes where they were used, you can see the "401" emblem on the front fenders. Those cars were badass.

I want one of them ultra rare Early 70s AMC Matador cop cars. If you look real close in the episodes where they were used, you can see the "401" emblem on the front fenders. Those cars were badass.
LAPD loved those cars,"“It was fast, it had superior brakes to the Plymouths" and air conditioning!

Great looker; creative spin on that C-body. (And just make sure to cover up the beacon and door markings when driving it out and about).

I picked up a '68 Satellite this year which had been partially converted already, complete with the Federal Interceptor radio, though the previous owner did a very rough job of it (and the original 318 turned out to be shot). Sticking with the unmarked look, and the '80s Dippy 15x7's, and I've gone for the LAPD look with the period California tax exempt plate in front:

1zntm4y.jpg

wv1zlx.jpg

168u7b9.jpg

Keep it up with the Newport and don't skimp on the pictures!

-Kurt
that's bad ***

65Vart that thing is sweet! I could imagine being undercover in that thing would be awesome.

A guy here in Vegas has a real Adam 12 71 Plymouth wagon.Whole bunch of documentation. Neat car.Fully restored.

I've seen one in person a few years back, but I've never seen one since. Didn't the Dukes of Hazzard crash a couple of those early on? Such a shame.

Here's the car mostly finished up in a little candid photo shoot with a friend of mine in his Model A. I have a set of 15 inch steel wheels with some dog dish hubcaps that haven't been put on yet.

Attachments

• CC 6.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 178
  • CC 11.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 176
  • CC 10.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 174
  • CC 12.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 185
Is there any way I can give this post 1,000 likes? GREAT PICTURES!

Have any in a larger resolution?

-Kurt

-
Back