Budget racing the old nuts & bolts

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I'm taking out the 410 dual quad tunnel ram stroker and v-gate 4 speed and putting in a re-cobbled together $50 Craigslist 318 and first time home rebuilt 904. both the transmission and motor are needing finishing touches. I'll be starting the evacuation of the motor and tranny combo as soon as I make a mobile stand for them. As I'm awaiting funds for the finishing touches I'll be making preparations and doing all the free ground work. 11.529 @ 120.01 mph last Sunday at Woodburn any guesses at the next pass the car takes?

15.06@100

I thought the 318 and 904 were going in a different car? Whats the plan for the 4 speed and 410?

That's actually plan A for tomorrow.
I was looking for ideas on the in-trow-net when I seen this photo of a motor lying on a little flatbed trailer. BING! The light came on. I have a little 40"×40" trailer in a storage shed that's been in my way since I grabbed it of the street at the end of the block a year and a half ago. Maybe I can rip the planks off and use the steel rolling frame or build up off of the planks with more wood? Whatever happens the 410 and 4 speed need a comfortable safe home and I can use the 318/904 as templates to build it.

15.06@100

I thought the 318 and 904 were going in a different car? Whats the plan for the 4 speed and 410?

15.06@100

really, 15.06 at 100???? LOL....
My guess is he'll start at 14.03 at 97 mph, and end up getting it down to 13.39 at 101 mph. I say this because the car won't get much street time tuning, so he'll start slow and work from there.....

My guess is he'll start at 14.03 at 97 mph, and end up getting it down to 13.39 at 101 mph. I say this because the car won't get much street time tuning, so he'll start slow and work from there.....

Hahaha it was a complete shot in the dark! I've never even been to a drag strip!

I was actually hoping for much more street ability?
I would like a consistent 14.2 - no helmet required and I can have a passenger.

Okay I think I have something here that looks pretty stable.? I used a couple old front shocks and drill holes in the wood for the shocks. That seemed to really stabilize everything is when I drop the harmonic balancer down on a little piece of wood and took some weight off onto it a little bit and that seemed to stabilize everything pretty well. I assume setting weight on the harmonica is not going to hurt anything?
20170511_132846.jpg

Last edited:
Okay I think I have something here that looks pretty stable.? I used a couple old front shocks and drill holes in the wood for the shocks. That seemed to really stabilize everything is when I drop the harmonic balancer down on a little piece of wood and took some weight off onto it a little bit and that seemed to stabilize everything pretty well. I assume setting weight on the harmonica is not going to hurt anything?
View attachment 1715046624

The outer ring around the rubber of the balancer is cast iron and not very strong.
I would be afraid if I left it like that very long it might get out of balance even if it didn't break.
But, you know what they say about opinions. :D

nice, the 410 gained 3 mph in the 1/4. the 120 mark is sweet. don't be disappointed when the 318 only does 14.5 @ 95.

nice, the 410 gained 3 mph in the 1/4. the 120 mark is sweet. don't be disappointed when the 318 only does 14.5 @ 95.
Oh, man! That would be disappointing...... I'll end up close to that (I hope), and we have almost the same engine, but he might have better heads .... and ...
  • he has 4.10's, I have 2.76's (that's huge!)
  • he has headers, I have factory manifolds
  • his car is lighter
  • his stall should be a little better than my factory converter

Ah.... 15.01 just so you can't say it's a 14 sec car LOL :lol:
Nah, it should be in the 14"s

Will anything work?? A lot of variables. I'm by myself tomorrow morning HMMM?? I did a 11.529 @ 120.01 this last Sunday - I wonder how long it takes to get the motor and tranny on that new stand I built today ?? (By my self)

It's supposed to be 12.2 according to the 318 race chart?

Oh, man! That would be disappointing...... I'll end up close to that (I hope), and we have almost the same engine, but he might have better heads .... and ...
  • he has 4.10's, I have 2.76's (that's huge!)
  • he has headers, I have factory manifolds
  • his car is lighter
  • his stall should be a little better than my factory converter

It's supposed to be 12.2 according to the 318 race chart?
I thought you said 12.8 ..... :realcrazy: and your car was the perfect example of just 'barely entering the "higher" upgrade.... lol

Last edited:
Mid 14's... @ 96-98 trap speed, until you get it tuned in.....

-
Back