Build 400HP 318

-

csdemc

Reaction score
I'm going to build a 318 for my sons 74 Dart. We would like to get about 400hp out of it but still have it be dependable, so he can drive it 3 or 4 time a week.

has anyone built one and if so please tell we your experience and what you did to achieve it. Bore, stroke, cam, pistons, carb and all.

Thanks

IMAGE_065-1-1-1.jpg

There have been several magazine articles out there on this. A quick Google search and/or a search through the forum archives should turn these up.

Ask yourself which is more important "400 HP" or a "318". If you're starting fresh, a 360 makes more sense than a 318. And if you are looking for a core to build a late model Magnum makes more sense than a mid 70's LA engine. If the car has a running 318 now, the 360 (5.9L) Magnum makes even more sense as you can keep driving the car while you build the engine.

If you have a 318, put KB hyper pistons in it, set the compression around 9.8:1, replace the heads with a set of RHS LA-Xs, stick in a modern cam of around 225-230°@ .050, and a dual plane. Run a set of headers and you're there.

You can almost stumble through the Summit book and get that kinda HP from a 318. Get a piston that yields a blueprinted 9.5 to 1 using the 340/360 LA heads. Have some mild bowl and port work done...and a good gasket match. Stick with the 1.88 intake valve. Get a GOOD brand 1 3/4" primary tube header. Talk to hughes about a camshaft. Run the Edelbrock Air Gap intake with an adapter plate and a Thermoquad. You'll be bumpin or a hair over 400 HP.

I'm going to build a 318 for my sons 74 Dart. We would like to get about 400hp out of it but still have it be dependable, so he can drive it 3 or 4 time a week.

has anyone built one and if so please tell we your experience and what you did to achieve it. Bore, stroke, cam, pistons, carb and all.

Thanks

IMAGE_065-1-1-1.jpg

4" crank, rhs heads, 275HL cam will make 425hp and 500TQ and drive all day on the freeway or anywhere else.
Brian

-
Back