Buildin' a 340...

-

RTom

Depressingly A-Bodyless..
Reaction score
So, I've got a 69 340 block in the shop right now, just at the initial stages of building it. I currently have two different 4BBL intake manifolds (one is late 68 and one is mid 69) and a set of 340 exhaust manifolds (late 68).

I am currently in the process of looking for some heads. What type of heads would be good ones? I've been looking into 'x' heads, but is there something better out there?

I am still waffling between building an engine that would be legit as a 69 340 (for my 69 Dart GT Convertible) and just building a sweet engine (six pack and so on). I am also still not sure that I am just going to sell the 340 once it is built to help fund a 6.1 hemi transplant...

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :read2:

Just had a 416 stroker done for my 68 Formula S Barracuda last summer. That's the way I would go if I were you. I had mine done with ported X heads but with headers for the stock look but if you are thinking of going 6.1L I would go with aluminum heads and headers instead since original looking is not your goal. Sell the 340 manifolds for some decent cash if you aren't looking for stock. The 416 with aluminum heads and headers will be cheaper in the long run than the 6.1 and will get you 500+ hp pretty easily.

So, I've got a 69 340 block in the shop right now, just at the initial stages of building it. I currently have two different 4BBL intake manifolds (one is late 68 and one is mid 69) and a set of 340 exhaust manifolds (late 68).

I am currently in the process of looking for some heads. What type of heads would be good ones? I've been looking into 'x' heads, but is there something better out there?

I am still waffling between building an engine that would be legit as a 69 340 (for my 69 Dart GT Convertible) and just building a sweet engine (six pack and so on). I am also still not sure that I am just going to sell the 340 once it is built to help fund a 6.1 hemi transplant...

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :read2:

Check out our RHS heads we are selling for 1295.00 right now.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88220

I'd say decide on a plan and then look. If you want a correct 340 for '69, X heads are right. If you don't care, it doesnt matter. Right?

-
Back