building a 383

-

MOPARHOTRODS

Reaction score
going to build a 383 for my dart looking for some information on heads what would be the best head to run and what is the CC volume on the 67 915 440 HP heads and the 906 heads any help appreciated thank you

Best head to run is probably something like the Edelbrock RPM but perhaps it is the Stealth head if you want stock appearing and straight plugs or the Trick Flow head if you want to make power. There aren't very many situations where the best head to run is a cast iron stocker head.

There isn't anything budget about doing a good rebuild on factory iron heads unless you are just going to grind the 45 degree seats and slap stock style valves seals on. Nothing about that is HP.

Last time I had a set of 906 heads rebuilt the final bill was $1500. I could've saved money and had more performance and less weight with aluminum heads.

Last time I had a set of 906 heads rebuilt the final bill was $1500. I could've saved money and had more performance and less weight with aluminum heads.
please does anyone out there have the information I seek what are the cc for 2780 915 heads and the 906 heads thank you

What are HP iron heads? I've never heard of such a thing? HP blocks but not HP heads.

info I got from another member is the 67-440-2780915 heads with the 174 exhaust valves were considered HP heads as they were transitioning from the 516 head to the 906 heads

yes the 915 HP heads are unique, only made in 1967, and the early small chambers with the later 1.74" exhaust valves. most 1967 and earlier heads had the 1.60" exhaust valve. 1968 and later heads had 2.08"/1.74" and around 89 cc. the early heads can be easily enlarged to 1.74"

Go stealth heads.. 2.14"/ 1.81" valves, slightly larger ports, 80cc chambers, and oh ya aluminum.. the only way a purist will be able to tell it is an aftermarket head is the head bolts - they use ARP style reduced head bolts/studs

I wouldn't waste my time on Iron heads- you'll have $500 in machine work in them and that's the cost of 1 assembled stealth head.. spend $1,000 on the heads, and $500 or so having them checked out/setup.. you'll be miles ahead - plus 50lbs of weight off the front end!

Go stealth heads.. 2.14"/ 1.81" valves, slightly larger ports, 80cc chambers, and oh ya aluminum.. the only way a purist will be able to tell it is an aftermarket head is the head bolts - they use ARP style reduced head bolts/studs

I wouldn't waste my time on Iron heads- you'll have $500 in machine work in them and that's the cost of 1 assembled stealth head.. spend $1,000 on the heads, and $500 or so having them checked out/setup.. you'll be miles ahead - plus 50lbs of weight off the front end!
yes, this is why a vendor at the last little mopar swap I was at had 8- 10 pairs of stock BB heads, all for $100 TOTAL! no joke. he hauled them home? lol

like he said, everyone is going to an alum head, just makes sense. unless YOU can do all the machine work on iron heads yourself.

Yup Stealth heads all the way!!!

They flow great and weigh light, got mine for about 1k, just had them looked at and the bottoms ground a bit...

They are sweet---vvv

daisy motordad2.jpg

Daisy motordad3.jpg

If it's a budget deal and you think iron is cheaper, I'd say find a set of running heads someone is removing to upgrade, and run them. With a 383 and the available pistons - the open or closed chambers won;t make much of a difference. You can simply design the build to whatever you end up with. I wouldn't get cores with the thought that you can go through them and save money. To do them right you will spend. Or you will get them "less than right."

Check your valve shrouding with the Stealths on the 383. Probably some flow to be gained with bore notching. I even do it on 440 and 400 blocks when I can spare the CCs. The head gasket will show you where...

i37082-jpg.1714917896

Last edited:
-
Back