Building a 438 Stroker from a 383

-

Rengo

Reaction score
After buying a 360 and a few parts for the motor, a good friend talked me into building a 431. He said I would spend the same amount and get more out of the 383 than I would the 360. My questions are what is a fair price for a 383 block, should I go with a long block or not, what cam and crank to go with, I am looking into a kit from 440 source as well as a set of ported stealth heads.

As stated around on FABO before, I got a new job that upped my pay 100 a week, I pay no bills, no cell, no gf, nothin. :)

It is going into a 1970 Duster, I call it projekt G-Force, the idea is to make it into an 8 sec. mongoose drag car.

You're friend's incorrect. A stroked B wedge will cost about 30% more than a similar 360, plus you'll need a transmission, maybe driveshaft, headers, exh, and maybe radiator, plus mounts.

If you're going to go big block you might as well find a 400 block rather than a 383. The larger bore size will make more power and give you more inches. A 470 is a very nice combination using a 400 block.

Sounds like you need to start with some basic information. Go to Amazon.com and search for "Mopar Big Blocks". You'll find several books on the subject. Buy them all, it will only cost about $50 and then you'll have tons of information at your fingertips.

If you're going to go big block you might as well find a 400 block rather than a 383. The larger bore size will make more power and give you more inches. A 470 is a very nice combination using a 400 block.

Sounds like you need to start with some basic information. Go to Amazon.com and search for "Mopar Big Blocks". You'll find several books on the subject. Buy them all, it will only cost about $50 and then you'll have tons of information at your fingertips.
I also agree..the 400 will fit alot better than a 440 in an A body...looking backwards I probably would have stroked a 400 rather than going through all of the trouble with the 440..

-
Back