built a 408 small block. supercharger options?

-

schultec14

Reaction score
Hi, I recently built a 408 stroker engine for my '70 dodge dart. It has 9.5:1 compression, comp cams xe275hl camshaft, pocket ported J heads with 2.02's. and 1.60's, edelbrock performer rpm air gap single 4 barrel dual plane intake with an edelbrock 750 carb, headers and dual exhaust. I would like to know what my options are for bolting a supercharger on this car are. Im still looking to keep it on high octane pump gas though. I was thinking of a range or 5-7 psi of boost or so. What kind of prices am i looking at for a complete setup? Could i find a site that has used ones for sale? (Also as a side note, any chevy people?...My friend wants to find one for his carbureted '69 corvette 350 engine, which has a very similar build. preferably used but good.)

Thank you,
-ANTHONY

The biggest problem I see right now is your static compression. It's to high. Preferably you want your static compression to be about 8 to 1. You can probably use the compression you have now if you run an intercooler but that is going to drive the cost way up. I would dare say you are looking at, at least $7000 to set it up with that compression. Sorry for the bad news. I don't have a supercharger myself, but have been trying to design a blower engine myself. Maybe somebody with one will chime in.

Jack

The Supercharger Store has a kit that will fit. I think they go for about $3K, you'd have to check with them. With low boost they can work around your compression ratio. A centrifugal blower is very streetable. The problem I had looking at this option is the cost for that 100 horsepower gain seems like alot.

that compression would probably work ok on E85,thats the advice i have got on my 340 i dont have a stroker so that makes for less dynamic compresion but from what i have been told i could ad as much as 14psi of boost to this compression on E85 without detonating (wont happen untill i get an R block and alot better pistons but thats a diferent storry)

Hi, I recently built a 408 stroker engine for my '70 dodge dart. It has 9.5:1 compression, comp cams xe275hl camshaft, pocket ported J heads with 2.02's. and 1.60's, edelbrock performer rpm air gap single 4 barrel dual plane intake with an edelbrock 750 carb, headers and dual exhaust. I would like to know what my options are for bolting a supercharger on this car are. Im still looking to keep it on high octane pump gas though. I was thinking of a range or 5-7 psi of boost or so. What kind of prices am i looking at for a complete setup? Could i find a site that has used ones for sale? (Also as a side note, any chevy people?...My friend wants to find one for his carbureted '69 corvette 350 engine, which has a very similar build. preferably used but good.)

Thank you,
-ANTHONY

The compression is not too high. You need to run some type of cooling system to keep the air charge as cool as possible. Also check into an AIS Water/Meth Kit. Call them, the owner will explain everything to you and set you up to run with no problems.

I myself am building a TT 410 Stroker right now with 9:1 Compression and will be using 2 air water intercoolers, a heat exchanger with 2 10" fans and an AIS Stage 2 Meth kit with probably 3 Nozzles. 1 in each intercooler and one right before the carb! YES it will be ran on Pump Fuel with a Boost level at around 15PSI Max.

My Build here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=116512

You can check out the AIS information page here...........Very Inexpensive to set this kit up.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.html

i have some brand new ross blower stroker pistons 4.060 bore for sale on the board

Call Dyersblowers.com and talk to Gary or Bill, they're honest and won't sell you something you don't need. Best prices too. They can help you with your buddies Chevy also. Tell em Nathan sent you

I would talk to [email protected] give him your info and he will put together a quote. Here is the one I just got from him today for my 340.

"There is no room for an intercooler on your 1970 Dodge Dart. Almost every system we sell uses water injection rather than an intercooler. The water injection is more effective than an air to air intercooler, easier to install, is less intrusive to the vehicle and it costs less. You will need a blow through carburetor. Our SBM Street Stalker Kit is $5950.00 plus shipping and includes a P-1SC ProCharger, ProFlo Surge System (blow off valve), Stage 1 Water Injection System, custom built blow through carburetor, high pressure/high volume fuel pump and boost referenced fuel pressure regulator."

I would talk to [email protected] give him your info and he will put together a quote. Here is the one I just got from him today for my 340.

"There is no room for an intercooler on your 1970 Dodge Dart. Almost every system we sell uses water injection rather than an intercooler. The water injection is more effective than an air to air intercooler, easier to install, is less intrusive to the vehicle and it costs less. You will need a blow through carburetor. Our SBM Street Stalker Kit is $5950.00 plus shipping and includes a P-1SC ProCharger, ProFlo Surge System (blow off valve), Stage 1 Water Injection System, custom built blow through carburetor, high pressure/high volume fuel pump and boost referenced fuel pressure regulator."

Well I don't agree with an Intercooler will not fit. I have 2 Intercoolers "Air to Water"on mine "67 Dart" and a Heat Exchanger. It will also have an AIS Meth Injection kit. Don't believe everything a SALES PERSON tells you!! There are several guys with A Body Darts that have Air to Air Intercoolers also!

Look at my thread below for how I did the install................

I have a 71 Dart with an air to air i/c. It'll also have the AIS meth kit. You just have to do some fabbing to get things to fit. Yellowbullet.com is a good spot to find used parts for forced induction set-ups. Your buddy will have a lot easier time than you finding a used setup for his chevy. I have some pics on moparts in the power adder section of my i/c set up.

The compression is not too high. You need to run some type of cooling system to keep the air charge as cool as possible. Also check into an AIS Water/Meth Kit. Call them, the owner will explain everything to you and set you up to run with no problems.

I myself am building a TT 410 Stroker right now with 9:1 Compression and will be using 2 air water intercoolers, a heat exchanger with 2 10" fans and an AIS Stage 2 Meth kit with probably 3 Nozzles. 1 in each intercooler and one right before the carb! YES it will be ran on Pump Fuel with a Boost level at around 15PSI Max.

My Build here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=116512

You can check out the AIS information page here...........Very Inexpensive to set this kit up.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.html

Mad Dart, I am really liking that AIS injection system....Thinking of using it on a supercharger kit I'm trying to put together for my 318....The stage 1 fender mount water/methanal injection kit...

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....ater-Methanol-Injection-Kit/product_info.html

what say you?

Mad Dart, I am really liking that AIS injection system....Thinking of using it on a supercharger kit I'm trying to put together for my 318....The stage 1 fender mount water/methanal injection kit...

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....ater-Methanol-Injection-Kit/product_info.html

what say you?

I had Rodney build me a custom set up for my TT combo. Dual nozzle set up. He is a very knowledgable guy. One thing I did do is not buy his SS Line kit. I built my own with all black AN Fittings from the Pump to the Nozzles.

I had Rodney build me a custom set up for my TT combo. Dual nozzle set up. He is a very knowledgable guy. One thing I did do is not buy his SS Line kit. I built my own with all black AN Fittings from the Pump to the Nozzles.

Okay, I will call him when I get more of my parts together...(blower manifold) lol.

I'm pretty sure I can also build my own SS line kit with -AN fittings. I presume this kit is pretty straight forward install? Sorry, I am a newbie to boost world, and may blow up. LOL

Will have more questions, I'm sure. :)

Okay, I will call him when I get more of my parts together...(blower manifold) lol.

I'm pretty sure I can also build my own SS line kit with -AN fittings. I presume this kit is pretty straight forward install? Sorry, I am a newbie to boost world, and may blow up. LOL

Will have more questions, I'm sure. :)

Yes it is straight forward on the an hose set up. He only has Blue and Red is why I built my own.

-
Back