Bulkhead Connector Repair Info

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Bulkhead problems come up a lot, so I figured I would be helpful by posting photos of parts and tools while working on my 64 Valiant harness. Not asking questions (some guy always asks "and your question is?"), and hopefully won't upset anybody (impossible for some guys!, and I'm not even mentioning the President).

The terminals are termed "56 Terminal", "Packard 56", or "Delphi 56". Packard was an electrical company that made them. They are found on 60-70's GM and Mopar, plus motor-homes thru the 80's. Used throughout the cars. You also find 2 or 3 terminal ones in appliances, though newer ones have slightly different pins. The top pin crimper was ~$17 at Fry's, but only got them started. I had to finish with the lower electrician's crimper, then soldered. I labelled the positions with a silver Sharpie since I like easy trouble-shooting on the road.

To release a terminal, squeeze longitudinally and wiggle as you pull. Pry the felt dust strip out first. I used needle-nose pliers. I show special pliers (found somewhere) I thought might work, but didn't help. Patience, don't get jiggy. If just cleaning, you might leave in place and use sandpaper around a flat screwdriver or a small file. I bought new terminals at www.theelectricaldepot.com, PN D56-2965481 (18 awg, $5.79/qty 25). Looks like I once had PN D56-2971962 (14-16 awg) too, but maybe used up on my Dart. I also bought 1 thru 6-way connector shells for the future. Don't fret if you break a plastic tab when removing connectors, since friction will surely secure them. Use silicone di-electric grease before re-plugging to avoid future corrosion.

I am totally re-wiring the engine harness to use a Jeep relay box (prior post for my Dart), which explains the 20 awg ribbon cable. I don't recommend unless nothing better to do with your time, and certainly not very helpful unless adding EFI, electric fans, and such like I do. The yell-grn-brn ribbon cable is a trailer wire harness (18 awg) which is for parking lights and turn signals (not on relays). The big red wire goes to the BATT bus-bar. A big black wire (not shown) goes to the ALT bus-bar. It wouldn't fit in the PVC sheath. The big yell wire is the temp sensor and the little brown is NSS to starter relay (in Jeep box).

I decided to use a 65 bulkhead connector in my 64 because it has the nice "bus bar" feed-thrus for the big ALT and BATT wires to eliminate the "melted bulkhead" problem (mine were slightly melted). I pulled one out to show. Chrysler did that in 63 (earlier too?), dropped in 64, returned in 65, then dropped 66+ with the 3-connector bulkhead (wiper motor in engine bay). For my 64, I must cut the firewall hole ~1/8" taller. This frees the F & G terminals for other use (washer pump, AC), plus the 6 & 7 terminals are available since I don't have the backup lamp wires of manual transmission cars. I bought a 65 cabin harness on ebay ($35, for 65 Fury). The 64 plugs mate to it (63 differs). C-bodies are the same as A (expect B-body are same).

Those who bypass their dash ammeter (search "MAD Bypass") don't need the bus bar solution. You can also do the "fleet bypass" of running new wires thru the firewall. My ammeter is still active, so I will do the "Grissom Diode Shunt" to protect for a later big alternator (search for post).

Attachments

• 64 Dart bulkhead plugs.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 6,984
  • 65 bulkhead conn.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,225
Those connectors can be found on ebay and are tinned which helps prevent corrosion.

I am doing my 69 barracuda using a moter compartment fuse box with relays from a dodge van using relays for ignition alternator head lights horn and starter. no amp gage. no real current goes through the fire wall just relay control power

Somebody needs to repop both sides of the insulating black plastic.......We have a 69 Valiant that I am hoping to get to one day.....the connector is partly cooked.....I picked up a rotbox of a 68 a while ago......the plugs are cooked in that one as well......

If Imma go to that trouble, Imma stab in a waterproof Duetsch connector and be DONE with it forever.

Somebody needs to repop both sides of the insulating black plastic.......We have a 69 Valiant that I am hoping to get to one day.....the connector is partly cooked.....I picked up a rotbox of a 68 a while ago......the plugs are cooked in that one as well......

If it had been a better designed connector maybe someone would reproduce it. As it is , its not worth the effort. Sort of the same situation as the voltage regulators, etc..
Creating a easy to install weatherproof replacement bulk head connector would make more sense and cents IMO.

.....the connector is partly cooked.....I picked up a rotbox of a 68 a while ago......the plugs are cooked in that one as well......
In that case, most people just drill thru the melted positions and run thick wires straight through.

If replacing the whole firewall connector with something else, like the Deutsch connector jos51700 suggests, I would be tempted to just run straight wires through with no connector. I think most cars have been wired that way since the 80's. I think the bulkhead connectors were for faster assembly, but they caused many problems, and not just for Chrysler. When they went to computer-controlled engines, it was also impractical to use a connector for all the connections. There are some after-market connector solutions, but too $$$ for my CMB reputation.

In that case, most people just drill thru the melted positions and run thick wires straight through.

If replacing the whole firewall connector with something else, like the Deutsch connector jos51700 suggests, I would be tempted to just run straight wires through with no connector. I think most cars have been wired that way since the 80's. I think the bulkhead connectors were for faster assembly, but they caused many problems, and not just for Chrysler. When they went to computer-controlled engines, it was also impractical to use a connector for all the connections. There are some after-market connector solutions, but too $$$ for my CMB reputation.

On the Dart the bulkhead connector is welded over. I think that the less connections the better. Very well might just use grommets on the firewall and run continuous wires or perhaps going to use "cannon" plugs or a weather pack bulk head connector that I have seen in a few places.
If I ever get to the Valiant I will probably do the same thing.....time will tell....

I think the reason for bulkhead connectors was to isolate the passenger from engine compartments, just as with aircraft. I assume that the manufacturers didn't want engine compartment fumes entering the passenger compartment. The aircraft industry came up with weatherproof AN fittings a long time ago. I would like to convert to them if I can locate a good aircraft salvage outfit.

-
Back