Bullet holes and DMV back fees...

-
Yeah, I don't think I would pay more than $500, if even that much, for this. Those DMV back fees scare the hell out of me!

DMV back fees??? What, you have to pay a fee for every year it was not registered until the current year?....What a Joke.....What a raquet....Just a way for the bankrupt state to try to get more money and try to keep more "older" cars off the road.........Glad I don't live in California....

"Needs to be put back together." For that money HE can put it together. The dog looks bored. From the looks of things this fits right into "what I've heard" about Fresno

DMV back fees??? What, you have to pay a fee for every year it was not registered until the current year?....What a Joke.....What a raquet....Just a way for the bankrupt state to try to get more money and try to keep more "older" cars off the road.........Glad I don't live in California....

Yeah it's stupid, but, it's not to keep older stuff off the road. It's about getting $$$$$. If you don't renew, they assume you're still driving it unless you go non-operational, one time fee of about $10-15.

My favorite back fee debacle. I bought a car, put plates on it. About 6-8 months later the DMV sends me a letter stating the registration is suspended for lack of "proof of insurance", I never got insurance on it, never drove it on a public road either. I park the car as it's a project, no biggie. About 3 years later, I get a letter requesting 450ish in back fees.... this after the DMV suspended the registration. Priceless reasoning there.

I bought a car with over 1200 in back fees one time. At the time it was less expensive to drag it to AZ, get a clear title for $8 and bring it back to CA.

2500 for that car is absolute dreamer territory... looks like a decent body sans bullet holes. There are decent drivers for that amount or less on occasion. I agree it's a $500-700 car at this point

Yeah it's stupid, but, it's not to keep older stuff off the road. It's about getting $$$$$. If you don't renew, they assume you're still driving it unless you go non-operational, one time fee of about $10-15.

My favorite back fee debacle. I bought a car, put plates on it. About 6-8 months later the DMV sends me a letter stating the registration is suspended for lack of "proof of insurance", I never got insurance on it, never drove it on a public road either. I park the car as it's a project, no biggie. About 3 years later, I get a letter requesting 450ish in back fees.... this after the DMV suspended the registration. Priceless reasoning there.

I bought a car with over 1200 in back fees one time. At the time it was less expensive to drag it to AZ, get a clear title for $8 and bring it back to CA.

2500 for that car is absolute dreamer territory... looks like a decent body sans bullet holes. There are decent drivers for that amount or less on occasion. I agree it's a $500-700 car at this point
yeah i hate our dmv fees my car used to be 43 bucks to reg.they suck.del,people talk about fresno? lol

So it might be a deal if you DON'T live in California? If you live out of state and get it registered in your home state are you still responsible for the fees?

So it might be a deal if you DON'T live in California? If you live out of state and get it registered in your home state are you still responsible for the fees?

If the title is clear, and I haul it to Idaho, (and I won't be, LOL) I sure as hell won't be sending CA any money.

You're pretty much the minority if you don't have bullet holes in Fresno.

CA DMV sucks. They do everything possible to get these old cars off the road with the smog laws and back fees. You better make damn sure the vehicle has up to date tags on it before you buy it. Even then you should call DMV and make sure there's no back fees. I bought a cheap pickup I wanted to put put around in and after I got it I realized the back fees were more than what I paid for the pick up. Ended up just parting it out, cutting it up and hauling it off to the scrapper. They make it impossible to get those vehicles back on the road unless you sell it or haul it off to another state.

My plates were out of date when I moved to AZ and when I mentioned it they said they didn't care what California did, that I was in Arizona now. :)

Could be worth a try I guess.
Did you see what was in the background of this picture?

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 387
2,500 *If* it was driving. As it sits? I wouldn't pay more than $200 and low ball because of back fees.

"I bought a car with over 1200 in back fees one time. At the time it was less expensive to drag it to AZ, get a clear title for $8 and bring it back to CA."

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....If you bring it back with a clear AZ title then into California, I don't think they would be able to collect back fees

Here is TWO ways to avoid the back DMV fees in CA.

1. Declare the car a total loss and then register it as a salvage vehicle.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr16.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr13.htm

2. Get the buyer to agree to a lien sale.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/faqliensale.htm

The key for the rest of us in California is to make sure that when we begin a project we file a one time CERTIFICATE OF NON-OPERATION. At one time you could retroactively declare non-op. No longer. The good news is once you declare non-op you don't have to pay ANY fees until you go to register the car, and then it is only for the current year.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Here is TWO ways to avoid the back DMV fees in CA.

1. Declare the car a total loss and then register it as a salvage vehicle.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr16.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr13.htm

2. Get the buyer to agree to a lien sale.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/faqliensale.htm

The key for the rest of us in California is to make sure that when we begin a project we file a one time CERTIFICATE OF NON-OPERATION. At one time you could retroactively declare non-op. No longer. The good news is once you declare non-op you don't have to pay ANY fees until you go to register the car, and then it is only for the current year.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Number 2 doesn't work anymore
------------------------------------------
Why must I pay the back penalties on a vehicle I bought at a lien sale?

The Vehicle Code does not exempt lien sale vehicles from outstanding fees and penalties.
-------------------------------------------

They changed that a few years back. It used to be a great method to get rid of the fees/penalties.

Changing a car to salvage for me is a no go. Don't want the scarlet letter attached to a car.

Thanks Crackbacked,

Don't want to mislead anyone.

Also understand the scarlet letter issue.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Lien was "the" way to get rid of that mess before.

All good

-
Back