Bullheaded wife/Covid

-

That guy’s a dipshit. Ironic too as he's one of those more at risk, but clearly he has little to no actual medical knowledge.

South Korea has mandatory testing for its residents now. What it's actually showing is that people 20-29 are the higher number of cases. They aren't suffering the most serious symptoms, in fact most of their symptoms are mild. But they are the main age group for spreading the virus. They don't feel that sick, so they don't quarantine, and they expose others. Shutting the schools and businesses now will reduce the number of infections later. In other countries the data is being skewed because the most affected by the disease are older, so they're the ones getting the test and being hospitalized. So the numbers don't reveal the number of younger people that are being infected and spreading the disease. This also skews the mortality rate, if you look at the current numbers the mortality rate is about 3.8%. In reality it's not that high, as many with mild symptoms simply aren't being tested in most places. As the number tested increases that will bring the rate down, estimates are closer to 2%. But that depends on us being able to test more.

We're about 2 weeks behind Italy. We've taken similar precautions, and most likely we will see the disease spread as they have. Which means in two weeks, we could be in serious trouble.

Some of this stuff we won't know until it's too late. If we wait, and we have, until cases start to increase exponentially, we are quite literally behind the curve.
Special Report: Italy and South Korea virus outbreaks reveal disparity in deaths and tactics

An Italian explains what's going on there firsthand, and why we should already be doing more
A coronavirus cautionary tale from Italy: Don’t do what we did - The Boston Globe

i thought so. Even a one per cent improvement is better than nothing. I just try to use whatever I have, in my favor.

No. One percent for you is meaningless. In the proper hands that mask can be 95% effective, and for a healthcare worker that can then care for others while having a better chance at remaining healthy so they can keep doing so. You buying up masks now literally means someone trained to use one might not have one. Again, your attitude is one of the reasons the US stands to have a severe outbreak of this.

Thank you for your informed input. You are right on with everything you've said. I have two doctors in my family and also another member that works for the CDC. It's all about slowing the spread of the disease so the health system doesn't get overwhelmed. As stated, not enough hospital beds to take care of the seriously ill if we don't slow it down. That's the only defense we have against it right now. I used to test fit those exact same masks when I worked for the railroad and anyone that had facial hair weren't even tested because they could never pass the test because the masks wouldn't seal properly. Please don't waste the masks. 72nuNblu, thanks for what you do and what you have to put up with. Be safe. Steve

Thanks, I appreciate it.

It's the job I swore an oath to do, and one that I love doing. Most times it's "easy" because I love it. Right now I'd rather stay home with everyone else and not put myself and family at risk. But if I do that then who shows up when people call 911? I'm not panicked, I follow the guidelines as best I can. I'm relatively young, young enough not to be in any of the target groups, so more than likely the risk to me personally is low. But it does mean I won't be seeing my parents who are in their 70's until after all this slows down, unless there's an emergency. They're the ones I worry about.

That guy’s a dipshit. Ironic too as he's one of those more at risk, but clearly he has little to no actual medical knowledge. If you all are this afraid, of getting sick? Dying? Maybe you should get to know the one who is in control of everything. Get to know Jesus, then your fears will subside. Your all watching too much tv. Don’t believe everything your being told. Think for yourself for a change.

South Korea has mandatory testing for its residents now. What it's actually showing is that people 20-29 are the higher number of cases. They aren't suffering the most serious symptoms, in fact most of their symptoms are mild. But they are the main age group for spreading the virus. They don't feel that sick, so they don't quarantine, and they expose others. Shutting the schools and businesses now will reduce the number of infections later. In other countries the data is being skewed because the most affected by the disease are older, so they're the ones getting the test and being hospitalized. So the numbers don't reveal the number of younger people that are being infected and spreading the disease. This also skews the mortality rate, if you look at the current numbers the mortality rate is about 3.8%. In reality it's not that high, as many with mild symptoms simply aren't being tested in most places. As the number tested increases that will bring the rate down, estimates are closer to 2%. But that depends on us being able to test more.

We're about 2 weeks behind Italy. We've taken similar precautions, and most likely we will see the disease spread as they have. Which means in two weeks, we could be in serious trouble.

Some of this stuff we won't know until it's too late. If we wait, and we have, until cases start to increase exponentially, we are quite literally behind the curve.
Special Report: Italy and South Korea virus outbreaks reveal disparity in deaths and tactics

An Italian explains what's going on there firsthand, and why we should already be doing more
A coronavirus cautionary tale from Italy: Don’t do what we did - The Boston Globe

No. One percent for you is meaningless. In the proper hands that mask can be 95% effective, and for a healthcare worker. You buying up masks now literally means someone trained to use one might not have one. Again, your attitude is one of the reasons the US stands to have a severe outbreak of this.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

It's the job I swore an oath to do, and one that I love doing. Most times it's "easy" because I love it. Right now I'd rather stay home with everyone else and not put myself and family at risk. But if I do that then who shows up when people call 911? I'm not panicked, I follow the guidelines as best I can. I'm relatively young, young enough not to be in any of the target groups, so more than likely the risk to me personally is low. But it does mean I won't be seeing my parents who are in their 70's until after all this slows down, unless there's an emergency. They're the ones I worry about.

One percent for you is meaningless
Just a number I picked. What stage would be meaningful?
95% effective
If you have a hundred calls a day the mask would be meaningless on the first day.
a better chance at remaining healthy
My wife has worked ER for years. Even she doesn't believe this.
You buying up masks
Never bought one in my life, except for sanding drywall.
your attitude
Sorry, I've been accused of a lot of things, but a global pandemic, I think not.
Obviously we all appreciate what you do as much as we appreciate all the health care field people, including my soon to be NP youngest daughter, who I really dont want to be sick.
I'm kinda old and I imagine my wife will bring the bug home. I'll just try to enjoy my health as long as I can. I'll do what little I can to help, and do my best not to hinder you.

In order for a mask to be effective at all, it needs to be an N95 or higher rating. But here’s the catch- they still have to be fitted and worn properly. There are different sizes.

Amen to that, every US dog tag has name, serial number, religion, blood type, service and gas mask size. M17A2 gas mask... Don and clear in a CS gas tent and you'll know if you got it on correctly! And everyone had to stay clean shaven when I was in to make sure the gas mask sealed. None of this Spec-Op beards BS.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that people who are well wear a face mask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19)...While a surgical mask may be effective in blocking splashes and large-particle droplets, a face mask, by design, does not filter or block very small particles in the air that may be transmitted by coughs, sneezes, or certain medical procedures. Surgical masks also do not provide complete protection from germs and other contaminants because of the loose fit between the surface of the face mask and your face..
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19)...
For the general American public, there is no added health benefit to wear a respiratory protective device (such as an N95 respirator), and the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low."

Brought to you by the FDA....blowing smoke up your *** since 1906.
N95 Respirators and Surgical Masks (Face Masks)

If you look at any recent video from China, almost everyone is wearing a mask. I couldn't sit through the fireside chat that was posted. I got about 8 minutes into it and the guy hadn't said anything yet. Terrible English, too many ahs, ands and very slow.

If you look at any recent video from China, almost everyone is wearing a mask. I couldn't sit through the fireside chat that was posted. I got about 8 minutes into it and the guy hadn't said anything yet. Terrible English, too many ahs, ands and very slow.
I was gonna mention this, but I'm so done. And not only China, just about everywhere.

I think a mask over your nose and mouth is better than nothing. These are dust masks. They are being used to prevent spit from entering you. Size is not relevant. That comes into play once you are using a mask such as SCBA or SCUBA. Covering your face with a rag is better than exposure to direct spray.

No, I don’t care if you agree or not.

I would recommend finding you a "safespace" away from her until this passes set you up a bed and tv and a mini fridge In an extra bedroom or garage or something like that and just stay away until this crap passes. I understand that its your wife and she has a job to do and I understand that she dont want to quit her job but it's not worth you dying for. I think she would understand if you kept a safe distance for a little while.
I agree with your idea but man.....That word "Safespace" just seems so closely associated with Millennial type touchy-feely bullshit !

I agree with your idea but man.....That word "Safespace" just seems so closely associated with Millennial type touchy-feely bullshit !
Really it's my mancave. Killer stereo, large TV w/Dish, lounge chair/ottoman etc. But I like 'den' the best....one syllable, old school.

Non-sick people wearing masks is part of the panic.

A sick person wearing a mask helps protect me from them.
(but they shouldn't even be out in public anyway)

Me wearing a mask basically does nothing.

Not terribly difficult to understand.

It is my understanding that the surgeon wears a mask for the same reason-

To keep their breath out of my open wound.

Nobody knows who is carrying. Maybe the mask actually might be a good idea?

But hey to each their own. There are plenty of folk who don’t even think this is worth worrying about. Maybe they are right. Lol. But I’ll do things my way

Non-sick people wearing masks is part of the panic.

A sick person wearing a mask helps protect me from them.
(but they shouldn't even be out in public anyway)

Not terribly difficult to understand.
I understand what you are saying and have read it several places too. But my spider sense tells me any barrier, even a bandana, over the nose and mouth can't hurt and may help. Anyway, my wife went to work today without a mask. As she left, she said 'someone has to take care of the old folks'.

Why not wear a mask? How do you know you are not sick? We have no tests. I could be sick. If I wear a mask maybe I wont infect you. Isn't that kind of the point.
This is my opinion, based solely on my logic:
There are far too many people running around this country thinking they could never be infected...that already are.

Thank your wife for me. She is right. I only hope that the proper precautions protect her from this virus. If my folks were in a place with care givers I sure would appreciate their support. My daughter did this occupation for years. Each time somebody passed on she lost a friend. It’s a very tough job.

Thank your wife for me. She is right. I only hope that the proper precautions protect her from this virus. If my folks were in a place with care givers I sure would appreciate their support. My daughter did this occupation for years. Each time somebody passed on she lost a friend. It’s a very tough job.
She really gets attached to some of the residents. There was a retired General who taught her the finer points of cribbage and much more I'm sure. He lived for a few years so she really got to know him and his family. It took her quite awhile to get over that one, more than any other from my recollection.

None of my business but since you did post, she did marry you. As such, she has a family under your roof that comes first. That's all I'll add.

My issue with this...and I know a bit about it as it has cost me a lot of problems in the past...including playing a large part of the failure of a marriage...is that what gives anyone the right to "control" their spouse? Just saying....

Haha yea I know I just couldnt think of a better terminology. And hey I technically am a millennial. Haha not one of the soft crybaby snowflake ones.

Right, and everyone here is buying up toilet paper. Just because they're doing it doesn't mean it's helping. China kept 11 million people from leaving their homes for two weeks, that's what helped there. What would amount to a military style quarantine here.

People also frequently wear masks in China because of air pollution. Those particles are even smaller, and the majority of masks are generally useless against air pollution. But all kinds of people still wear them. Same here when the wildland fires were burning. An N95 can keep out some smoke particles, but you see people wearing dust masks, surgical masks etc. Smoke particles pass right through those. Just because a lot of people do something doesn't mean it works, that's just faulty logic.

I think a mask over your nose and mouth is better than nothing. These are dust masks. They are being used to prevent spit from entering you. Size is not relevant. That comes into play once you are using a mask such as SCBA or SCUBA. Covering your face with a rag is better than exposure to direct spray.

No, I don’t care if you agree or not.

The infectious particles you're trying to keep out are not "spit". They can be all the way down to the microscopic level. A "dust mask" is meant to keep dust out- visible particles. The size of the particle is absolutely relevant. A dust mask will do absolutely jack against COVID-19. Droplet does not mean a big old splash of fluid. Breathe on a mirror. You don't see any big droplets, but that fog is moisture from your lungs. And in the case of COVID 19, that can transmit the disease. Which is why the recommendation is to stay more than 3 feet away from people and 6 or more from people that are coughing.

This kind of misinformation from people that lack the knowledge and training in the field is what drives people to do stupid stuff. You don't know better than the CDC, and the fact that you don't care if anyone agrees is irrelevant. Your opinion is wrong, and the facts aren't changed by your opinion.

A relevant article with a video from a couple of pathologists debunking some of the false information, including the mask thing. The mask question is covered at 2:03
In France, more than half of coronavirus patients in intensive care are under 60, suggesting it's not just the elderly at risk

It also says that half of the patients in France in the ICU's are under 60, again reinforcing that younger people should take precautions as well- like washing their hands, not touching their faces and practicing social distancing.

I'm not gonna hang around and argue with people that have no knowledge in the field or relevant training and debate recommendations coming from infectious disease experts at the CDC. You don't know better than they do. Yes, it's true that with an emerging disease like COVID 19 that not even the experts in the field have all the information yet. But that doesn't mean that a member of the general public knows better, or something the experts don't. If you don't want to follow those recommendations, that's on you. Hopefully your decisions don't negatively effect anyone. Unfortunately, I suspect that two weeks or so from now we'll be talking about how all the ICU beds and ventilators in the US are being used, and more people that need them won't have access. That's where Italy is right now, and we're not doing anything differently than they did.

-
Back