Bump Steer

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
I Am Having A Problem With Bumpsteer On My Drag Car. When The Car Lifts The Tires Off The Ground, They Seem To Toe In. This Makes It A Handfull When It Comes Down. Also The Down Track Driving Gets A Little Intense. I Have Heard There Are Ways To Fix This, Its Been Done On Stockers & Super Stockers. Anybody Have Any Ideas?

Have an alignment done with the front raised 3" to 4" and put weight = to the driver in the seat. This will make your alignment more "IN" under track conditions vs. "IN" sitting on an alignment rack.

You'll have to plot the toe curve as the suspension moves through jounce and rebound. In order to change it you have to move the pitman and idler arm heights so that it's equal as it travels from the static height.

Sound like fun? It's a real pain.

The easy fix is to align it with as much positive caster as you can get (adjustable tubular upper control arms really help here) with the front end raised about 1" from static and then limit the front end travel.

Yea, I Had It Raised 1 1/2 When It Was Alighn Last Time. We Are Going To Set It A 3 This Time. I Have Heard Of Heating The Ball Joints To Cutting The Drag Link & Making It Adjustable.

we just bent the ball joint ends downward. throughout the entire travel my car only gains an 1/8 inch its no big deal to fix just take a little time with the machine. everybit of the front of my car is stock this is a very easy fix. wish i done it a long time ago.

Do You Have A Measurement, Or Is It A Little Bit At A Time To Correct The Concern?

I know you can heat and bend the ball joint tie rod end but since they are cast iron that really doesn't sit well with me and I wouldn't recommend it.

I Agree With Guitar !!! Set Toe At 0 And Center Strg Wheel Put A Piece Of Tape Around Top Of Wheel And Tri To Keep It Staight Up On Run, If Car VerES You Need To Look At Rear Supension. Don't Look At Anything But Track And Driving The Car Stright !!! SOME TIMES WE ARE THE PROBLEM.

well, i wish i had that problem. when mine lifts the tires off the ground, there is usually a jack involved!

How do you other A body racers limit your suspension travel. If you're pulling the front end up that far on hard acceleration the front tires need to come up with it.. toolman

I'd imagine taller bump stops, but since i will soon be running into this issue, I'll let ya know, What I come up with.

How do you other A body racers limit your suspension travel. If you're pulling the front end up that far on hard acceleration the front tires need to come up with it.. toolman

the guys i race with bend spindles all the time without any problem. if you don't feel comfortable with that, there are aftermarket tie rod ends that also correct this problem.

I have had the same issue with my Dart. It is not fun to come back to earth and have the front end shake.......... I ended up limiting the front end travel (with aluminum spacers under the bump pads) to 2-3". I also put a bump pad in the underneath to keep from bending the oil pan. I also set the alignment using a string and level. (I've had to do it 3 times this year). I set the alignment at ride height at the finish line. It still will toe in slightly on the passenger side, but nothing significant. Good luck

231.jpg

-
Back