Bumpers- 68 Dart

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
I was looking at the bumpers on my Dart and came to the concussion that they are getting tired. Rechroming is expensive so I am considering after market bumpers. Just wondering what has been the experiences of you guys on bumpers so I can make an informed choice.

How straight are they? Perhaps get them powder coated?

Powder coat will not shine like chrome, but not a bad idea.

Based on some of the threads that I have the chrome of today is nowhere near as nice nor durable as the stuff done yesteryear, for the most part. A while back I purchased a set of oe door handles form a member here. A year later he contacted me to tell me that his new ones were in worse shape than the ones he sold me. Is there any chrome shops somewhat local to you? There is one here and from what I have been told they are all over the map when it comes to quality. Would hate to drop the $$ they get your for only to have it turn yellow or cloudy within a year or so. Whoever did the exhaust on my bike did a nice job, or so it appeared. 700 miles or so and it has turned yellow, not up near the exhaust port but 2 feet away. Up at the port, at least on that pipe, has not turned yellow....

A local member got the bumpers rechromed on his 69 barracuda and they were crazy money- but they turned out REALLY nice. There is only one chrome shop in our area and because of that they are not cheap.

Aftermarket bumpers are thinner gauge. Fit was OK on the demon/duster bumpers I just saw installed. But chrome was acceptable. Not nearly as nice as the $300-$400 rechromes and straightening we get from Faith Plating that are really nice for show cars.

Mine are straight and really not that bad, but are showing their age so perhaps rechroming is the way to go.

Re-chrome the stock ones. They will fit and perform their function better.

Picked up both of mine from Tri-City Plating at Carlisle. Toted both of mine in, walked out w/2 rechromed ones. I have them for over 8 years and they are as good as when I picked them up. No problems w/fitment.

Check their web-site. They may be at a car show close to you and just exchange them. Oh, you're in Canada. Give them a call, ya never know.

There's usually 2 or 3 chrome retailers at the bigger swap meets, I got mine at Portland. The first booth, I inspected the bumpers carefully, and didn't like the quality, the second booth's were really nice, I got them for $350 each, including core, and got $50 back the next year when I returned my old ones as cores.. Can't remember their name... still lookin good today, but they've never been out in the weather..

I bought the AMD aftermarket bumpers for my 68

They may be a little thinner material than the originals, but still are pretty heavy. The chrome looks very nice to me. Rechromed might be better, but compaired to my 40 yr old bumpers they look fantastic.
And i'm totally happy with the cost, compaired to recrhoming. My rear was like $269 shiipped to my door and the front was $300, but included new bolts. I think it was a nice afforable option and I like them. We'll see how they hold up over time.

I am going to just suggest TriCity Plating also. Don't remember the price to be honest but love what i got. Know some guys that have done lots of cars and only one person ever had a complaint and they swapped them out no questions asked.

I am on the fence right now. Going to get a hold of a local chrome shop to get pricing. If I go aftermarket I am pretty sure it will be AMD.

I have AMD bumpers on my 68 valiant and I'm very pleased with them. They cost half of what I was quoted to have my originals rechromed.

-
Back