BURN BAN

-
Didn't read through every post.
- Yes we have a burn ban. It usually isn't enforced unless someone complains
- To the recyclers: A lot of "plastic and papers" that are giving to recycle don't even make the cut to be recycled. And the cost going into the effort isn't really cost effective. The time/gas/labor cost vs. the cheap cereal box that comes out isn't really cost effective.

From conservation of matter in chemistry, elements do not change in reactions, they just rearrange into new compounds... When you balance your equation, the same elements going in, have to come out...

So you are not wasting the elements by burning the paper/cardboard, you are just rearranging them into new forms... (smoke, ashes, and heat out...)

And making them available to be recycled by nature

From conservation of matter in chemistry, elements do not change in reactions, they just rearrange into new compounds... When you balance your equation, the same elements going in, have to come out...

So you are not wasting the elements by burning the paper/cardboard, you are just rearranging them into new forms... (smoke, ashes, and heat out...)

Yes but instead of cutting down trees, you are re-using tress already cut down long ago. For some reason this doesn't make sense to some people.

Yes but instead of cutting down trees, you are re-using tress already cut down long ago. For some reason this doesn't make sense to some people.
Trees are a crop. They can be replanted. It's not like every tree that's cut down cannot be replaced. They do not go extinct. They've been cutting down trees since the old testament in the Bible. Guess what? Still trees are everywhere. And if you don't have a tree harvest, they die. And when they die, their branches soon turn to kindling, and kindling lights quickly, and then you have a forest fire by even a lightening strike that takes out more trees than what you'd ever dream of saving with your recycled cereal box.

Or trees that had to be cut down because they died and are a hazard...

I live next to a forest preserve... We have many trees, some over 100 years old and over 3 foot diameter trunks... They die sometimes...

There are many fallen trees in the forest preserve - the cycle of life... They fall and decay and become elements for other plants or trees to use...

Every time paper is recycled, the fibers are damaged and become shorter.
When paper is made there is a "grain" to it..normally it is run long grain through a web press. When recycled content become too high, the paper gets brittle and instead of handling easily, it breaks in the press or finishing line as folds and discuss are made in the stream. And the heavier the stock is, the more recycled content they try to jam in.
I have watched pressmen struggle for days try to run crappy customer supplied paper that appears to have NO grain left at all.
They would rather that you burned it, and not so much were going back into the recycling stream.

I have never lived anyplace that suffered for wind-flow. But I have worked in such places.
East Greenville PA has winter temp inversions where the entire local valley fills up with the fumes of delicious chocolate.

If I get back into a house, I will find a way to turn all my waste paper into winter-time heat.

Burn bans only make sense where local weather and geography are such that smoke is trapped, or where it's too dry to be safe.

When considering the amount of energy involved with collecting for recycling,
seems to me people who burn paper at home ought to be earning carbon credits for shortening the carbon cycle to the advantage of all.
No more fossil fuel spent in processing or hauling, carbon dioxide immediately available to promote plant life, useful heat to be captured and put to work, ashes to make lye from, forestry agriculture sees higher employment.

I have heard it proposed that if we entertain the idea if "evolution" for a moment, that plants would have invented humans eventually to to give them more "food" to eat in form of carbon dioxide.
So anyone who worries about CO2 levels to political ends needs to know they are also talking about starving the plants of food.
But they probably don't remember how photosynthesis works anymore.

Had a next door neighbor in the early 80s who put a nasty smoky stove in his basement, bare tin pipe up the siding, which collected nice creosote spots.
Could we smell it? Yes.
Did it bother us?
Not enough to care.
It's WINTER!
I expect to smell some wood smoke!

I would burn that stuff in my indoor,wood-fired boiler, but it creates more ash than virgin product, and I'm not interested in carrying all that ash back up the stairs nor to haul those ashes to the landfill.
I can burn 12,000 pounds of dried oak off-cuts during a winter,from local cabinet shops, and have NOT one full metal garbage can of ashes.I love that stuff!
See; I do recycle!
I refuse to burn cardboard refuse in the boiler.Not even as fire starter, which it's not even good for. Just try lighting that with a match! Hah! Good luck.
I also recycle used motor oil. I mix it 4 to 1 with stale gas or diesel, and that makes a pretty good POOF! I occasionally mix used cooking oil in the concoction too and/or other volatile liquids from the shop . And then I can set the damper and walk away, and not have to babysit the flickering candle of cardboard or cereal-box.
POOF!

See; I'm not a total dick about recycling........

just look at Chile
the country is bordered by a sea to the west, and a mountain range to the east
not sure what started the wildfires there, but they have been severe enough for their president to declare a state of emergency
(i think its been burning since the middle of January)

because of the shape of the country its almost like a corridor for the fire to move north and south throughout the width of the country

last i heard, over 714.000 acres had been burned up and fire fighting planes from 4 different nations have been send in to help
(including a USAF 747-400)

Chile battles devastating wildfires: 'We have never seen anything on this scale'

Worst Wildfires in Chile's History
I can tell You what started the fires there, Communist "native indian rebels" of Chile, arsonist criminals who when caught & arrested bragged "there are more of us, you can't
stop us"! I work w/a native Chilean, & He is very politically astute as well as concerned about His family & country back home.

I can tell You what started the fires there, Communist "native indian rebels" of Chile, arsonist criminals who when caught & arrested bragged "there are more of us, you can't
stop us"! I work w/a native Chilean, & He is very politically astute as well as concerned about His family & country back home.
Native Indian communist rebels?
Never heard that one before...I'll have to ask the wife if she has

Any idea what city your coworker was born in?

Native Indian communist rebels?
Never heard that one before...I'll have to ask the wife if she has

Any idea what city your coworker was born in?
Lol, yeah, I know it's more like our Native Americans being called "Indians". There are communist agitators who go around finding Chilean Native Americans who are eager to
believe someone else is responsible for all of their ill's, & "enlighten" them of ills they didn't even know about, then get them to act out over it(sound familiar?).
My co-worker has family in Santiago, some in other areas, can't swear to where He was born(I probably knew, lol!).

my wife was born in santiago
in fact, when we stay there we stay a "puento alto" which was miles away from the city when my wife lived there
first time i visited it was on the outskirts of Santiago, and last time i went there i could see condos from the camp

i remember traveling down the side of what i thought was a mountain there, when i noticed a sign that read "volcano eruption escape route"

that got me thinking

her mom was born in valpariso (beautiful town) but im not sure where her dad was from

she did mention she heard about the natives, but she didnt put much stock into it

I don't have anything nice to say about the local fire department around here, unfortunately I'm within the city limits of my locale. I'll probably die before they show up if my house was on fire but if i lit my burn barrel next to my garage they'd roll all units and send lil mr small **** fire chief to threaten me with a fine and incarceration.

Last edited:
Maybe I will invent soot scrubbers for burn barrels with solid state heat reclamation for garage and house heating.
Couple of ideas already...

We live in, what some County officials call an "unincorporated third world county". Burning yard waste is permitted...until the annual summer burn ban is put on. Just across the river is the Spokane/Lincoln County border. We had a sizeable wild fire in that area 2 years ago, most of what burned was DNR land. Last year they took down all the burnt trees, leaving behind gigantic slash piles..which were just lit. Seen visible flames 2 nights, still smoking 4 days later. Burn barrels are illegal here. Doesn't stop folks from using them.
We have no recycling. But the Spokane Waste to Energy plant is about 30 miles from us and they have bins. So we separate every thing and haul it to them. Burnt a bunch of cardboard/shredded paper once...what a train wreck.
Our area is full of low income folks. Trash pickup is a bit pricey, a 1 yard dumpster is $60 a month. Some folks burn there trash...few parcels away is a rental. Tennant owner was one of the folks who believed trash disposal meant build a pile of trash bags in the yard. Property owner paid a couple of guys to clean it up...by burning it. Dept. Of Ecology was called, Sheriff showed up and cited them. Think the ticket was $750...month later a dumpster showed up...as well as a tractor with a bucket..

Maybe I will invent soot scrubbers for burn barrels with solid state heat reclamation for garage and house heating.
Couple of ideas already...
Hmmmm, now My free 55gal. barrel will cost Me $3500, thanks............
Good luck tho', if it promotes independence from gov't or utilities, well......I'd wear a vest & hire a "taste tester"....'s all I'm sayin'.
Then again, You could talk the gubment into mandating use of your contraption, then they'll issue them w/permits. Of course they will award the contract to supply them to
someone who purchased one of yours, copied it half-assed, then out-bid You w/a cheap POS that works 50% as well and lasts 1/10th as long..........But hey! Look on the
bright side,.........You took one for the enviro-team!!

-
Back