Burn out

-

haole

Reaction score
Trying to teach the wife how to heat the slicks. She has a 67 barracuda, 360, automatic, 4:10 in the rear. Slicks are 26 x 8.5. She leaves it in drive. rolls through the water and stages. I told her to hold the brake and stab the gas. WRONG.......Any suggestions. Drag Radials ???

Sounds like you need line lock to apply the front brakes only so the rears are free to spin and the fronts are locked up the hold it in place. Or you can try stoping in the water and nailing the gas and do a burn out coming out of the box.

Don't do a burnout if your tires are in the box. The officals don't like that at all. Roll through the box and stop once you are out of it. If you have a line-loc system, set it, start your burn out. If you have an auto tranny do your burnout in second gear. If you don't have a line-loc system, lightly hold the brakes on and punch the gas to do your burnout. remember to get the car stopped before you go through the staging lights.

Jack

Yes,if shes not going to heat them up go around the water box,getting water on them and not spining them dry will just make you spin,plus the fact shes leaving that moisture on the starting line which is a no no and dangerous,if shes going to heat them up,start your burnout in second gear once they get spinning good shift to 3rd when heated enough roll forward and stage,always works for me..:-D

Take a gallon jug and practice on the return road. Wetting the track is dangerous if pro class cars follow you.

IMO, first get a line-lic --- it's easier on the car. Then have her roll through the box , watch the starter -- he'll have her stop just as the rear tires get out of the water. Put the car in 2nd gear, pump the brakes 2-3 times then engage the line-loc. Stab the throttle real quick to break the tires loose & continue bringing the motor up to about 3-4k RPM. When she sees some smoke wait a second or 2 then shift to high gear. Depending on the tires, you might not want her to do too much of a burn-out as excessive heat makes some tires get "greasy".

IMO, first get a line-lic --- it's easier on the car. Then have her roll through the box , watch the starter -- he'll have her stop just as the rear tires get out of the water. Put the car in 2nd gear, pump the brakes 2-3 times then engage the line-loc. Stab the throttle real quick to break the tires loose & continue bringing the motor up to about 3-4k RPM. When she sees some smoke wait a second or 2 then shift to high gear. Depending on the tires, you might not want her to do too much of a burn-out as excessive heat makes some tires get "greasy".

I agree, it takes a little experimenting to know what your tires like. My M/T Sportsman Pros don't like to be heated at all.

Jack

The M/T are great tires, IMO, but they definitely don't like alot of heat. I had a 3800lbs. car once that 60-foot 1.29-1.31 consistently IF you didn't fry its M/Ts. Overheat them & you'll lose 2-3 tenths. Some Goodyears are the same too, depending on the compound.

Don't do a burnout if your tires are in the box. The officals don't like that at all.

You learn somthing new every day. Never thought about that. The officals at the track I used to go to had me stop in the box every time. That is why I told him that. My avtar is on the small side but you can see I am in the box. But I do agree with you Coyote Jack that sounds like the best way to go. Might just depend on the officals as well. A 4-speed might be easier as well. Just rev it up and dump the clutch. Workes every time.

Trying to teach the wife how to heat the slicks. She has a 67 barracuda, 360, automatic, 4:10 in the rear. Slicks are 26 x 8.5. She leaves it in drive. rolls through the water and stages. I told her to hold the brake and stab the gas. WRONG.......Any suggestions. Drag Radials ???

do you have a manual 727 in your baracuda?

Don't do a burnout if your tires are in the box. The officals don't like that at all.

You learn somthing new every day. Never thought about that. The officals at the track I used to go to had me stop in the box every time. That is why I told him that. My avtar is on the small side but you can see I am in the box. But I do agree with you Coyote Jack that sounds like the best way to go. Might just depend on the officals as well. A 4-speed might be easier as well. Just rev it up and dump the clutch. Workes every time.

I think that depends on your track officials. Im like burntorange70, the officials at my 2 tracks could care less..... in the box, out of the box, light em' up!!=P~

At the tracks I go to, they like us to roll into the water, spin the tires there to get 'em wet and then roll out of the water. They hold us there until they cars ahead of us are out of the way and then we do the burnout.

I've got Mickey's on my car too, and you're right... get 'em too hot and I slow down a tenth or more. I spin 'em just enough to get the smoke going in 2nd gear, then shift to 3rd for a second or two, release the line lock and get off the throttle.

stock 904 trans, stock convertor. Do you have to spin the tires in second if no manual valve body is used, or would could she just leave it in drive. She has a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time!!!

IMO-- 2nd gear only. If she can't shift from 2-3 standing still, how is she gonna do it while the car's moving? Give her some credit! take some jugs of water, find a quiet spot and practice, if necessary before you hit the strip. If aal this fails, have her put itin 2nd, do her burn-out & back-off gradually so she drives out of the box instead of "jumping" out of it

-
Back