Burnouts and the 904

-

dibbons

Reaction score
In the past, I used a Mopar 4-speed manual transmission and always did simple burnouts using only second gear. My present build will use a Mopar 904 automatic (1972). One thing I DO NOT want is a manual valve body. I read somewhere that doing burnouts the wrong way or with a stock transmission that a tranny can be damaged while in low gear. How do I modify the transmission or my burnout technique to avoid damage? I never had a problem with the 4 speed in that regard and I am somewhat apprehensive not knowing the quirks of an automatic. (The motor will provide between 300 - 400 horsepower, either a 318 or 340) Thank you.

I run a 904 and I just start in #2, 904's aren't the big problem it's the 727 that you need to be cautious with.

I start in 1st...shift into 2nd...and come out of the water in 2nd...my kids start in 2nd and do their burnout...

I guess my old habit is hard to stop.

What do you mean by starting in second? Do you mean the transmission will shift automatically during the burnout from first to second? Thank you.

well...if you dont have a manual valve body...dont think you can start in second...

Couldn't you just put it in 2 on the gear selector and start the burnout? Even without a manual valve body.

That's why I' m still confused, your kids start in second. Is that a manual valve body or automatic valve body? See what I mean?

yes...they CAN start in second cause they have a manual valve body

What do you mean by starting in second? Do you mean the transmission will shift automatically during the burnout from first to second? Thank you.

That's what I do, I don't race my car yet, as I have to get the front end rebuilt and get my engine built and put in, but I do my fare share of road tatoos around here.

My dart has a factory valve body in it, I just start in first and shift into 2nd. I can feel it shift and as long as it is not in 1st gear coming out of the burn out your good.

Attachments

• dart 2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 251
put it in drive and do your burn out, it will shift when it wants to. burn outs are all about wheel speed. you can't get it leaving the trans in 2nd gear, the only thing you're doing is wearing out your motor.

i dont know what you got against manual vb s but i think there great and no kickdown to f#$*k with

heres how i did it and never had an issue with a full automatic 904. put the gear selector in 2nd gear.. start the burnout and allow it to go into 2nd gear (it will do it on its own) then bump it into 3rd gear and come out of the water in 3rd gear.

i dont know what you got against manual vb s but i think there great and no kickdown to f#$*k with

they just aren't for everyone.. i used to always run manual valve bodies years ago.. these days i prefer a full automatic. kickdown is a breeze these days with a lokar kit..

heres how i did it and never had an issue. put the gear selector in 2nd gear.. start the burnout and allow it to go into 2nd gear (it will do it on its own) and come out of the water in 2nd gear.

Precisely how I do it. Of course when I'm done with the swap/build I'll have a MVB. Can't wait to get the opportunity to do some test and tune at the track.

heres how i did it and never had an issue with a full automatic 904. put the gear selector in 2nd gear.. start the burnout and allow it to go into 2nd gear (it will do it on its own) then bump it into 3rd gear and come out of the water in 3rd gear.

Thanks, that finally answers my two concerns: a) explain in detail, first-hand, how someone with a full auto valve body is doing their burnout and b) how to avoid damage to the transmission while doing so.

And regarding the manual valve body option, perhaps other members of the family driving my car may not want to shift manually. Personally, I don't have a preference.

they just aren't for everyone.. i used to always run manual valve bodies years ago.. these days i prefer a full automatic. kickdown is a breeze these days with a lokar kit..

i understand that and respect it but the op if i understand him correctly thought it would cause damage to his tranny which is simply untrue .

-
Back