Burying my father today.....

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
94 years old, WW2 Vet, fought in the Normandy Invasion. Dad lived a long and prosperous life.
He was married to my step-mom for 43 years, and had 19 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren. He was well loved and respected.
I didn't get to know him very well, as we didn't see eye to eye on most everything. But in the last few years, I came to understand that most of it was my fault, and I burned a lot of bridges in my life. By the time I got old enough to realize it, it was too late to mend fences .
God forgives...people sometimes don't.
So if your parents are still around, take the time to tell them you Love them , and cherish the time you have....Larry

ndylnq8.jpg

Sorry for your loss!
Your dad deserves the thanks of our country for his service.
Prayers are with you and you family!

My mom and dad past away too young. Dad 59 mom 65 some may say that’s old but when you’re in your sixties thats young!

No matter how often you tell your parents or family how much
You love them when they are alive. when they’re no longer with us you feel you still didn’t tell them enough.

Everyone makes mistakes, lots of thing I wish I told my Dad as well.
Peace prayers and positive thoughts for everyone affected.
RIP.

Cool sounding old guy. May he RIP. I thank him posthumously for his service. You have our condolences.

My condolences. He had quite a journey and made a difference in so many many lives. Blessings to you all.
Thanks for all of the kind word....we're leaving now to go to the service.

2 weeks ago they had a Army Chaplain come in and have a ceremony to honor him for his service They gave him a bunch of awards. He never talked much about it, I always presumed it was because of the horrific things he witnessed over there . My step-mom did tell the story that he was up for the purple heart after being hit with shrapnel, but he refused to get stitches because he was afraid of needles...go figure.

I'm sorry for your lost and prayers sent to your family. Very true words as I am near 40 and my dart is me and my dad's fence mender so to speak... Kinda hit home home reading your post...

The service went well today. Not as many in attendance as I expected, but I suppose at 94 years old you have probably out lived a lot people .
I kept my emotions mostly in check until we left the service and arrived at the burial site . There we were greeted by 2 members of the Army Honor Guard . They folded Dad's flag and presented to my step-mom, then played taps. That's when it really got to me.
I learned that Dad served under Patton, and he was a radioman who's job was to send out "false" information for the Germans to pick up on .
We had a little reception afterwards, everyone chatted a little, and promised to keep in touch more. One of my family members commented that funerals were more like family reunions.

My Condolences to you and yours. Thanks for the reminder to hold our loved ones close. My Dad Passed when I was 14 ,my Mom when I was 18. Both were 38 when they passed so my memories are sparse. My Dad also fought under Patton.Same deal on the shrapnel.

A lot of guys had a hard time adjusting to life after the war and most didn't talk about it. So sorry for your loss.

-
Back