Bush or no Bush..... That is the question

-

rrvolare

19Swinger69
Reaction score
400 stroker to 477 or 500 cubes ....600-700 HP /TQ....rpm capable of up to 7000 rpm

Let me start with cam types ...

1. hydraulic flat tappet or Hydraulic roller i was told to bush lifter bores ...
2. solid flat tappet or solid roller i was told you do not have to bush lifter bores ...

Is this because of a geometry concern on top end OR is this for better oiling ?... I have heard of MANY reasons ... What is the ACTUAL reason and is it necessary...
Let me hear it big block experts ...... THANKS......

I guess i must of worded the question wrong.... or your minds are in the gutter like mine ?

No bush for me.

Now, if you are using a hydraulic lifter (and all you perverts have your heads out of the gutter) you can bush the lifter bores, but you have to drill a hole about .062 in the bushing to feed the lifters so they function.

If you are running solid lifters you can bush the bores and forget it. Also, with solids you can put a tube in the passenger side oil gallery and block the feed to the drivers side. That stops all the leaks at the lifters.

No bush for me.

Now, if you are using a hydraulic lifter (and all you perverts have your heads out of the gutter) you can bush the lifter bores, but you have to drill a hole about .062 in the bushing to feed the lifters so they function.

If you are running solid lifters you can bush the bores and forget it. Also, with solids you can put a tube in the passenger side oil gallery and block the feed to the drivers side. That stops all the leaks at the lifters.
I think you're onto something - I want my lifter bushed! LOL

measure the diameters of all 16 lifter bores - if they are good you do not need to bush unless you are racing for the world championship

The reason to bush the lifter bores is to correct the geometry so all ur angles r correct. It is done in lots of race engines. Kim

They missed the part where he spitz the seeds into the holes while standing up...lol

measure the geometry of all 16 lifter bores and see if it is good enough as is for what you are doing

Not an expert but I always bush the lifter bores if the choice is solid roller. I don't use hydraulic rollers because a flat tappet will do the same work for a lot less coin. Bushings are first about correcting the geometry, second oil control. If you're going to spend the money IMO go the rest of the way. JMO anyway.

No bush. I hate getting hairs in my tee... OH, sorry. Lifter bores?

-
Back