Busted wheel studs

-

68273dart

Reaction score
I have never heard of left and right handed wheel stud threads before. That is until I broke off 3 on the rear drivers side and 1 was already broken on the passengers side. I have already had the passenger side wheel off and they are right threaded and I assume the drivers side is left. What is the easiest way to replace the studs with right hand threaded ones?

I have never heard of left and right handed wheel stud threads before. That is until I broke off 3 on the rear drivers side and 1 was already broken on the passengers side. I have already had the passenger side wheel off and they are right threaded and I assume the drivers side is left. What is the easiest way to replace the studs with right hand threaded ones?
Place lugnut back on stud and hit it with a big hammer.There is a knurled spline that will pop out of the stud hole,this is what holds the stud from spinning.Don,t put the lug on all the way,leave enough so it will move in 1/2 inch.When you want to put your new studs in,use an impact gun.Hope this helps!

when pulling the new studs in put a flat washer with some never seize and put the lug nut with flat side to washer then pull the new stud in.Hope this is helpful
Place lugnut back on stud and hit it with a big hammer.There is a knurled spline that will pop out of the stud hole,this is what holds the stud from spinning.Don,t put the lug on all the way,leave enough so it will move in 1/2 inch.When you want to put your new studs in,use an impact gun.Hope this helps!

I have some of those thick unilug wahers to use when drawing the studs in with a impact. Once in a while you'll find the splined portion of the stud comes through the flange slightly. The left hand studs on front end are swedged into the drum and bearing hub. If those are all good and not spinning in the holes I would replace the broken ones on the rear with left hand and keep left on the left, right on the right OEM plan.
Any time I go to get a flat fixed or whatever, I make sure to tell the workers, left hand threads on the left side. IF some kid should say "we dont have a left hand impact" drive away, go somewhere else.
Good luck

Just today I was @ tire store re: changing driver's side to righthand studs. Mgr got all crazy sayin 'no, they have to be left-hand, or they'll work themselves loose.' Here I am trying to explain the obvious that EVERY car uses righthand threads today, DO THEY NOT? HELLO? lol:argue:

at least the guy understood that they were left hand threads...thay broke my threads off on my car at discount and still hasnt fixed my threads...

at least the guy understood that they were left hand threads...thay broke my threads off on my car at discount and still hasnt fixed my threads...

That totally sucks...they still have your car?? That is unacceptable. I don't know what action you've taken...showing up unannounced with a lawyer gets their attention. I hope you get this straightened out soon!

i got my car but they dont have all the lug nuts....but im going down there today because the shop that they sent me down to...they said that they stopped making the studs for my car and now i have to switch them all out ...so now i have to get discount to change them all....wish me luck...

I feel for ya, I went thru the same thing with PepBoys yrs ago, I was so broke I parked the old Fury for awhile. The good thing is you'll end up with all rh threads which everybody changes over to...that's on my list too. NAPA sells them. Good luck.

Do NOT just pound the studs out. This is if the studs are still the original.

The studs are swaged from the factory, to hold the brake drums on. If you pound the studs through, WITHOUT grinding the swaged area down, you run the risk of enlarging the knurled area of the axle or hub, depending on whether you're working on the front or rear brakes. Once these holes are enlarged, new studs will spin in the holes. Hope this makes sence.

I'll see if I can find a pic of what I mean.

Here, the stud on the right is NOT swaged yet, but on the left it is. Pound that through, and it could mean trouble. A dremel or even a good flat file works fine.

I wouldn't be posting this, but I've ruined a front drum in the past by trying to pound it through without grinding the swage down.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/5179789-Drumstuds.jpg

codfish

be careful how hard you pound on the studs remember the bearings and races will see the impact also......

Jesus, I'm glad I know how to put my own studs on. I'm also glad that back in '85 I found out all about left hand threaded lug nuts. I read my book. I never even had to learn the hard way. Thank the lord. It sounds like some of you have dealt with some lame situations on these left handed lug nuts.

Do NOT just pound the studs out. This is if the studs are still the original.

The studs are swaged from the factory, to hold the brake drums on. If you pound the studs through, WITHOUT grinding the swaged area down, you run the risk of enlarging the knurled area of the axle or hub, depending on whether you're working on the front or rear brakes. Once these holes are enlarged, new studs will spin in the holes. Hope this makes sence.

I'll see if I can find a pic of what I mean.

Here, the stud on the right is NOT swaged yet, but on the left it is. Pound that through, and it could mean trouble. A dremel or even a good flat file works fine.

I wouldn't be posting this, but I've ruined a front drum in the past by trying to pound it through without grinding the swage down.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/5179789-Drumstuds.jpg

codfish
i learned something today

i got my car but they dont have all the lug nuts....but im going down there today because the shop that they sent me down to...they said that they stopped making the studs for my car and now i have to switch them all out ...so now i have to get discount to change them all....wish me luck...
You're local NAPA Store will either stock both versions or can have to the store by the next day. Just went through this last month! Good Luck!

I have a few follow up questions:

I have disc on the front with the 2 piece disc/hub held together by the studs. I just bought new chrome lug nuts for both sides and put them on.

I am going to replace the rotors.

1) Whether the studs are swaged or not, can I reuse them? (or should I?)
2) Should I just get new studs that are right hand?
3) Where can I get studs?

I've checked around and I cannot find them for this setup- so I can't do the brakes until I find the correct studs.

I have a few follow up questions:

I have disc on the front with the 2 piece disc/hub held together by the studs. I just bought new chrome lug nuts for both sides and put them on.

I am going to replace the rotors.

1) Whether the studs are swaged or not, can I reuse them? (or should I?)
2) Should I just get new studs that are right hand?
3) Where can I get studs?

I've checked around and I cannot find them for this setup- so I can't do the brakes until I find the correct studs.

#1. YES. By all means you can reuse the studs. No need to swage them like the factory did.

#2. I would, just in case for some reason someone who doesn't know about the left handed threads have to change a wheel on your car.

#3. Napa should have them. If not, go to rockauto.com, or autozone.com. They have a listing for them.

codfish

So if I'm getting the drift here the lug nuts on the drivers side are left-handed. So to take them off you need to turn the lug wrench to the right? Would this apply to my 1965 Dart?

Glenn
a confused lefty:-k

So if I'm getting the drift here the lug nuts on the drivers side are left-handed. So to take them off you need to turn the lug wrench to the right? Would this apply to my 1965 Dart?

Glenn
a confused lefty:-k

Yes, if they haven't been changed. If you can see the end of your stud it will have an "L" stamped on it if it is left handed threads.

Jesus, I'm glad I know how to put my own studs on. I'm also glad that back in '85 I found out all about left hand threaded lug nuts. I read my book. I never even had to learn the hard way. Thank the lord. It sounds like some of you have dealt with some lame situations on these left handed lug nuts.

I first saw that screw-up on my parents' NEW '62 Plymouth when I was in junior high. Then last year I told the kid at the Sears tire store TWICE about the left handed threads on my newly bought '63 Valiant. The second time I showed him the "L" stamped into the end of the stud. I don't think he believed me 'til I switched the air ratchet for him and said "NOW take 'em off"!

P.S. my ragtop has all right-hand threads! One less thing to worry about when buying new tires.

BC

All the broken studs could be avoided when buyin tires. TELL them they are left thread on driver side and write it i the invoice or stand over them to make sure they do it right.

remove the drum
wack out the old one
line up new one and shim it so as when you put a lug nut on, you can pull the stud into the axel
very easy

-
Back