But it was free !

-

snoreen40

Reaction score
Ok, heres the deal, i was given an engine 51,000 miles - runs like a top!- 1971 413 from a winabago, my question is is it worth doing anything with? Ive always wanted a big block dart - i know its not the best choice, but its free! Anybody out there knows if this is worth while toying with, ps engine and trans(727) with trans brake, i would go thru it to freshen it up but is it worth putting a cam and differant heads ect. Or should i toss it? Remember it was free

i would guess( but you might want to research it), that it already has an r.v. cam which would give decent torque. i would think it would be worth building. if im not mistaken the 413s were used alot in drag racing in the 60s. if it were mine, i would just drop it in the way it is without tearing into it. seems like if its powering a winnebago , it would be killer in a light weight dart.

DO IT!! At least get it checked and honed but it shoulded be fine make a hot little giant killer dart :snakeman:

Are you sure that the trans will fit in a car. I have herd that the bb rv trans wont fit in a car, I think it has something to do with a parking brake on it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

You need passenger car heads and water pump housing. The short block might be fine, IF it has the same crank flange as a passenger car. Ditch the motorhome trans and get a 727 from a car or 2wd truck. You can always use (I think) the case from the motorhome trans if all you can find is a small block 727.

Thanks everyone!! She"ll be a big block next year -- any one know what heads will fit? Or do i have to stay with 413 heads, this will be a budget motor, not high hp, but enough to pull stumps or what ever

I did a 440 rv in a 65 dart cant keep the wheels on the ground. I did put long tube cross ram on it with 500cfm carbs. Nice choice

u should keep the engine.413 are nice engines.put some 906 heads on it or some 915 heads.915 heads were only made in 1967 only. those are best big block heads.if u have money get aluminum heads.

Find some stock 426 street wedge pistons. Punch the 413 to 426. Port and polish the heads. Add a crossram intake with dual AVS (the big ones). The result is a nice Stage II Ramchager tribute engine. Impress your audience when the hood is open as well as when you step on the gas.

I had an original Stage II 426 wedge motor back in the 1970's. Miss that car.

I remember you telling me that story, get that cam in yet?

"My stingray is light, the slicks are startin' to spin
..But the 413's really diggin' in......"

Hi Steve,

Have not put the cam in yet. Busy with work, the paying not playing kind. I plan on doing the cam, manifold, carb, valve springs, and the tranny swap (904 out 727 in) in the next two weeks as time and weather permits. Also, have to find a crank dampner for the 318 (1976 casting) since they used the original 340 dampner and there is a noticeable vibration to the engine as the rpms increase. It would probably be best to swap the dampner and make sure the bottom end is not ruined before doing the top end. I have a 1969 318 in a parts car that was claimed to run if I put the water pump back on, so I have a back-up engine if needed.

http://www.engine-swaps.com
Go into products and you will find the mounts. I moved my holes in the K frame forward 1 1/2" you can then access all bell housing bolts from the top. As you can see I have a long tube soniram in it also…

As a student I was told you can put anything into anything with a little thinking or a bigger hammer.
Bob

A 413 would also have a very high cool factor. Go for it!

Schumacher adapters and Try Y headers and a car trans. I would just freshen up the motor and a moderate cam intake and carb and RUN IT:supz:

-
Back