Butcher block...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Ernie has decided to finally use her rather large Butcher Block style cutting board. Affixed to the board was a sticker that said it needed to be oiled prior to use & whenever necessary? How does one know when a Butcher Block cutting board needs to be re-oiled? Or is this sumtin that should just be done on a monthly basis? Thanks for any advice...

If it doesn't bead water, it needs to be oiled. We use EMO on ours. (edible mineral oil)

You will need to clean and oil it once a month, use food grade oil, can also use linseed, tung, walnut or almond oil on it.

Don't forget to change the filter when you oil it....

You will need to clean and oil it once a month, use food grade oil, can also use linseed, tung, walnut or almond oil on it.

DO NOT USE linseed or tung oil on a butcher block. Walnut, almond or ok as in food grade mineral oil.

Check out some of the butcher block specific coatings which in addition to oil will sometimes also have beeswax in it. I use a orange oil and beeswax, FGMO or butcher block conditioner.

GUYS GUYS GUYS stop the madness.This is a new butcher block doesn't the manufacture top up all the fluids before shipping to the customer.Other wise i would say the muffler bearings need checked.

Don't forget the Space Modulator, it makes a roast fit in the crock pot better.

Check the flux capacitor and make sure that you have enough power to get back to the future....

No schedule. No rocket science. It's a piece of wood. If allowed to absorb a lot of water, the wet /dry cycle will eventually break down the glue and damage the wood. If it's saturated with oil it can't absorb much water ( or germs). It's going to depend on how much you use it and how much you wash/scrub it. The oil will darken the wood like most other finishes. If you see the surface looks a little lighter when it's been washed and completely dry, it needs oil. Spread some mineral oil over it, let soak in, wipe it off. Do this when putting it away so any excess continues to absorb in.

GUYS GUYS GUYS stop the madness.This is a new butcher block doesn't the manufacture top up all the fluids before shipping to the customer.Other wise i would say the muffler bearings need checked.

I'm wondering why he didn't get a maintenance plan with it

There wouldn't be any guessing about when to oil if you just check the dipstick first...

Well, we have wooden cutting boards as well as a corian board. I have always used the same thing in this link. My grandfather was a beekeeper and he made the mixture to keep my grandmothers woodenboards proper.
Believe it or not , a piece of "Corian" is one of the best materials to use for a cutting board. It does not harbor bacteria in a sense. If you wash it down after use with any good cleansing soap ( i.e. dawn or something similar), it will last a very long time. I know it does not have the old school look and contrast to the kitchen for everyone, but I do have one of these too. Have used it for 15 years.
I hope this helps out some. Merry Christmas to everyone.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-oil...-cutting-board-lessons-from-the-kitchn-195642

-
Back