butt welding exhaust system

-
I'm not the welding expert, but I like a tight joint. No penetration issues with the TIG and not as much filler needed if any. I'll say though, I don't think an exhaust will be taking enough abuse to kill any half way correct weld from any welder. Some guys just like to criticize everybody about everything, gives them a purpose in life or something.

I've never heard of back purging with mild steel, but again, not the expert. I can't justify an extra tank so I use Solar Flux when welding stainless tubing, works like a charm.

Well I got the exhaust all welded up and installed. I had to do some custom work to the drivers side headpipe for torsion bar clearance. I now have 1/2" gap between bar and pipe.. should be good??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-04-12-06-12.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 131
Nice job! While it's off the car, you may want to test it with air or water to see if there are any pin holes.

You'll never notice that dimple btw. Nice work.

That does look good but frankly I think some of you are over-thinking this a bit. In my "yut" I've welded a few with oxy / acetylene. Aren't we talking about "non show car" "street car" here? Most of the stuff I've done had already had exhaust through it, no real need for inert fancy back purging.

And so far as that goes, CO2 works pretty well and it's one 'ell of a lot cheaper.

I was thinking of water testing but was kinda rushed. For a little tip, After I painted the exhaust with VHT high heat paint to cure the paint I placed a heat gun in each section of pipe. It worked great

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-04-16-37-40.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 140
Wow I wasn't criticizing any one and I am far from expert. Your right as purging for mild steel but stainless it is best way I have found. Basically everyone was discussing best way to butt weld pipe and I threw Tig into the mix. There is all kind of ways to join pipe from brazing or gas with coat hangers or stick mig Tig. Sorry if you got butt hurt cult. I don't need to try and impress anybody here. I am comfortable with my abilities.:finga:

-
Back