Buy American....

-
:sign12:
I live in a rural area of logging companies and lumber mills. Back in the 70's the union mill workers started talking about a strike. Not due to poor or dangerous working conditions, but just for more money. Mind you, a non skilled floor sweeper was getting $12 per hour. The guys actually running equipment were paid much more. The owner of the mill, Louisiana Pacific, adamantly told the workers that they could not afford to pay them any more than they already were. If they strike, the mill would be shut down. The union workers voted a strike ( based on greed, IMO) for more money. The mill immediately shut down. This was the largest employer in our county. Some of those very same employees of the mill are still working today for less than they were paid decades ago.

Like I said. You can't fix stupid. People like to blame the union for the pa and Trenton steel mills closing also. Truth is there was greed on both sides. Management had huge expense accounts made poor decisions and wouldn't put money back into the company to keep things up to date. Gotta keep costs down to get your bonus. The union workers wanted more and more money. There was no shortage of work so in negations they agreed on whatever needed to be agreed upon. Bottom line is it was both sides fault. Too many people want to blame one side or the other. Truth is there's blame on both sides.

Some of the replies are far too long winded for me to read...damn simpleton....but I did see the us versus them tossed about....in my limited experience with unions the only ones that had this mindset were the stewarts....and it was only the "Chief Stewart" that was vocal about it.... Carry on....

I agree, but, that mindset is very common with senior rank and file union members, too. I've seen it first hand, both as a union member (Teamsters, ILGWU, and ILA) and as a Supv., a Division Manager, and VP of Ops.

I was always puzzled by the mind set that the company is out to screw the employees. That completely ignores the logic that the company depends on it's employees to make a profit, or to simply remain in business.

A private company consists of An owner or a group of owners who invest their money to create the company, A management staff as needed, a clerical staff as needed, and labor force as need. A privately held, brick and mortar company that manufacturers, or distributes a product can not exist without all four of those things. It's not "us against them", it's "WE".

Actually, the same holds true for publicly traded corporations, though there are many more position and levels to be filled.

But, in either case, the purpose is to generate a profit for the investors, private or public, and it takes everyone doing their jobs, accurately efficiently, and effectively to make that happen.

Ohlins gold tubes ...... sexy!

Problem with the Ohlins is I will need to replace the front wheel...the Ohlins is setup for dual 320mm rotors....I will need to buy the rotors as well...have seen the rotors for $700 or so for the pair...and the wheel is going to be in the $300 range...lot of $$ for the Gold look :violent1:

I was always puzzled by the mind set that the company is out to screw the employees. That completely ignores the logic that the company depends on it's employees to make a profit, or to simply remain in business.

Again, just talking about the USPS here....seemed to me that the Postal Service was out to screw the employees. Keep in mind that every time the test is given, at least years ago, thousands of people turned out for it. When I took it in Jersey there was close to 10k who took the test....for 27 positions that were available. I got the lucky 27th spot. When all that Y2K crap was brewing a company came into the USPS for several reasons, one was to make sure the USPS network was going to survive. Another reason was to do some "consulting", more on how to get rid of employees with with out getting any dirt on the management team of the USPS. This may sound far fetched but my sisters then boyfriend was one of the computer geeks from this firm. Nick was privy to all of the info that was getting shared with the Post Office. Nick, in 2001 or so told me that one of things that was discussed with the HR department was how to hang an employee out to dry. How to make it appear that the employee was responsible for putting the rope around there own neck and kicking the chair out form under themselves. Fast forward to 05 or so and I was in a meeting with an HR guy, they were attempting to fire someone for falsifying documents. Lances employment future was in my hands as I was a witness to a few things. Hemphill, the HR guy quoted Nick word for word on what they were attempting to do to Lance....and sure enough it worked, Lance was shown the door.

When the FMLA became law the USPS shoved it down our throats....call in because you were out drinking and were puking all night and they insisted you get FMLA...the USPS would allow you to use paid leave and not hold it against you in regards to your attendance.....or so they claimed....Then after you used FMLA leave once or twice the game started, documentation was requested for every absence. No note, no pay and the absence went down as unscheduled leave. Next thing you knew you were up front, getting a fact finding which almost always led to a letter of warning. Was not uncommon at this point for management to fast track you to the letter of removal. Several friends, who were late 3 times over a 6 month period in addition to using 2-3 days of FMLA covered leave got letters of removal, even though there use of there FMLA leave was within what the doctor had put on the FMLA forms....ie, Mr.. Crann will be absent form work no more than 2 times a month, up to 2 days per occurrence.

There was obvious "favoritism" shown towards any manager. We were told no pagers/cell phones on the floor. We were also not allowed to take personal phone calls. Yet management walked around the floor on there personal cell phones, or used the PO's land lines to make calls. A supervisor demanded I hand over my pager on night....got walked out when I refused. Upon returning to walk I went up to every supervisor and demanded that they put there personal pagers/phones in there locker/car.....was sent home again.....ended up in a meeting with the top dozen or management members in Phoenix....and was told that managers are allowed to carry there personal pagers/cells in case they have a family emergency pop up...when I asked how about the employees family emergencies I was told to go back to work....To the day I walked out of that hell hole the sdo that started that hole mess steered clear of me....

USPS is a different animal. First of all, if it were a privately held company, or a publicly traded Corporation, it would no longer exist. USPS is losing $15 Million a day. I don't know of any publicly traded or privately held business that could suffer that kind of loss, and still exist.

USPS is endowed by the Federal Government, meaning every dollar it spends, comes from the American tax payer. With losses at $420 Million dollars a month, you can be sure that people are looking for ways to cut costs. Tightening up on labor is certainly one opportunity.

Paid sick time is issue. When money is tight, and it certainly is for USPS, even paid sick time becomes an issue. For the company, paying you for sick time, or personal time, or even vacation time that you didn't use is a benefit. The company actually comes out better, paying for time that you didn't use, than paying for time off that you did use.
Over and over again I her people make two claims; one is that it's cheaper for the company to give you the sick day vacation day or what ever day and pay you for it, than it is for you to work through it. WHile that initially sound logical, it is not true.

The company ALWAYS makes out better when you are on the job. No one knows your job better than you do. In an eight hour shift, you are far more productive at your job than anyone else. If they don't replace you at all during your time off, then the company is paying you and your job responsibilities are being completed. Eventually a back log is created, and that cost more money to straighten out.
The worse thing that could happen is that there is no difference in performance at the end of your shift when you aren't there. Do you know why? Well, if you're not there, and there, and if no one replaced you, and there is now difference in production, then you are dead weight. The company can meet the same production schedule with you, or without you.

FI you do something that causes you to lose time from work, either by failure to clock in, or as a disciplinary action, you are the issue. It's very difficult to fire an individual without cause. However, it is also VERY easy to get cause, simply by following the rule, the employment contract, the employee hand book, or the company/union contract.

All you do is document everything an individual does wrong. ...and every does wrong stuff, all the time. All the supervisor does is document it Time, place, infraction, witness (if any), outcome (no matter how minor). Even senior union employees can be fired for seemingly very little. It's not difficult, but it does take time, and due diligence.

No one is "secure" in any job where they have a boos, union, non-union, management, VP, even CEO's have been fired. It's just a matter of time, if you've been targeted.

However, if you are pulling your weight, and you decide to not take time off that you are owed, you essentially get paid double time for those hours. It IS costing the company more, but your output reduces the loss, and it not a one to one reduction, either. The company actually does better if you work though your vacation and they pay you an extra week's pay for it, than if you take your vacation and the company simply pays you your vacation pay.

The USPS has not been "the place to work" since the early 80's. and definitely since the advent of the fax machine, the personal computer and the internet. Add to that, companies like UPS, FedEx, DHL, and the rest of the alphabet soup of private deliver companies that took the lion's share of the package delivery business away from USPS, and there's trouble brewing.

Regarding a favoritism toward management, it might be an issue, but, I doubt that a manager with his cell phone on the floor is as much of a money loss to the organization as a worker with his cell phone.

During my last 5 years as a business owner, I did not allow my guys to take their cell phones out of the trucks when they were on the job site. Only the site supervisor or leadman could have a phone on the site.

Each crew were given the supervisor's cell number, and instructed to give that number to their spouses and children with instruction that they should use it only in the event of an emergency.

I didn't care if they used their own phone on the way to the site, or on the way back, but not on the site, and I held the supervisor personally responsible for that rule.

A supervisor or manager talking on the phone is less costly that a worker talking on the phone. It's not a point of favoritism, it's simply a matter of economic, and professional station. Also, it's one of the perks of being in management.
Labor gets their union, and management gets their perks.

60 spoke chrome rear wheel.....18"x5.5".....American made $380.....Chinese......$220....

-
Back