buying a car out of state

-
There should be someone that can go look at it for you.

I know several flaky guys that manage to have a 100% eBay rating.

Always use caution.

It appears to be a pretty clean car overall. However, dude sells a lot of cars. Good feedback? Yes, definitely... but he sure moves a lot of his "collection" so to speak.

It's clearly been at least partially repainted, although I'd wager the exterior is probably a 30+ year-old repaint. The fender Pentastar was not masked, and the texture of the paint indicates it may have done with a broom. Something's wonky at the bottom of the RH fender, and possibly the front of the LH rocker. The dash pad and steering wheel are smote. There are other minor issues visible, like the RH door panel, glove box door and missing radio knob. That's just from interweb photos; what can't we see? Some of these involve real expense to repair. To me $15K seems like "all the money" on this one, i.e. you're paying top dollar on a not-quite-top car. You wouldn't necessarily be upside-down, but you wouldn't profit from it either should you need to sell. Admittedly, I'm not real hip on early A prices.

I think it would be well worth the money to have a pro look at it, if you're not able to find a nearby board member who knows specific areas of attention on those cars.

I was looking to do something similar I'm in CA a little over an hour away from Beverly hills - i was looking to buy a car from Tacoma (area) Washington had arranged a flight, hotel and rental and a trucking CO. but then CA had a bunch of Airport flight issues and CA began to flood and Trucking CO. began to cancel and hike up prices and i lost out on hotel, rental and flight costs and just went way over budget quickly. (Purchase pending)

I'd be willing to be your eyes and ears and can video call while there, I'm sure we can arrange something if you'd like.

Last edited:
Maybe contact someone from Chrysler Performance West (CPW). There’s several FABO member who belong to their club. They may know the car and the owner. They have several members that inspect cars for fees to cover fuel. LA is a big place.

Yeah I didn't see the collapsed foam. My 73 dart has the same & it does not feel good on your tailbone. After much thinking I decided to take you guys' advice & let it go, too risky. Thanks very much guys for the excellent feedback. RR EDIT I did not see the last several posts when I posted just now.

You missed a trip to SoCal. Even if the car didn't work out, you could have visited sites and chilled on the beach. Even if you've never been before, you would have an instant feeling of deja vu, having seen so many movies filmed there.

You missed a trip to SoCal. Even if the car didn't work out, you could have visited sites and chilled on the beach. Even if you've never been before, you would have an instant feeling of deja vu, having seen so many movies filmed there.
I understand Socal is flooded!

I used "Lemon Squad" to go out to a car I was looking at and they did a complete inspection. They took about 70 plus pics of the car, went over the body checking thicknesses to see if there is a lot of bondo on the car, and a video of the car running. I was impressed with the report. I think they even gave me recommendations. After seeing all the pics, it painted a different story for me . And I did not purchase the car. I think I spent about $300 for the inspection. Here is their website: Lemon Squad - Nationwide Mobile Pre-Purchase Used Car Inspections

i apologize i forgot to mention how Californians overexaggerate with rain and floods because we dont see much of it. but as mentioned before from other* user we do have poor mismanagement of* so our roads and things flood* which trucking companies love to use as an excuse to charge double/triple. it was also my understanding that Norcal was flooding so much it was causing sink holes in major roadways*

beach pier was totally destroyed, some beach towns flooded.

all I've done so far is look at his eBay feedback, all positive reviews & 100% positive rating. the guy is a slick talker, definitely a pro. RR

,I am considering buying an antique car from a collector out west. How do I go about this so I dont get taken? thank you for your time. He did sent me 2 pics of the title front/back which has been signed/dated from I would assume the owner he obtained it from. RR
With regard to making payment, ask your bank if they can issue a "Sight Draft". This is usually an envelope with all the pertinent info listed on it, VIN, Amount to pay.....etc.
Your bank may ask you to place the purchase amount in escrow.
The seller will take it to his bank along with the title, which is placed inside. At this point the banks are operating as a fiduciary. His bank will send the envelope with title inside to your bank. Your bank will call you when the title arrives and you will go to the bank, examine the title and if satisfied release the funds which are then remitted to his bank. If you don't like what you see refuse it and they will send it back. If this process confuses your seller have him ask his bank for an explanation. Make sure you have a good title before paying for shipping!!

Use an independent inspection service such as the one below.

Good info! that is my main worry is to take care that I dont get ripped off. & I had put it out of my mind for a few days now but I'm back on it cuz I really do like/want the car. I will call my bank. RR

I would get the inspection before I did anything else. Look at youtube for information on Lemon Squad

The inspection company I used, Carz Inspection, is no longer in business. Too bad, cause I was impressed with the report. Well worth the money spent.

I highly recommend using a company such as The Lemon Squad. I would definitely hire them if I find a car out of state.

I'm curious about this service specially with 'old' 'vintage cars' - they are obviously going to have some issues, wear, rust, damage, paint issues we're talking about an almost 60 year old car and some of us going into this 'buying a old A body or whatever it might be knowing this and is part of the joy building it up ourselves unless its a complete restoration i guess....

As long as its not a totaled car or frame completely useless or holding up with zip-ties lol
know exactly what your getting for what you're paying, no surprises.

-
Back