Buying a car without keys

-
IMG_5894.gif

Waiting on seller. He lives in one state and the car is another. Looks like end of the month possibly.

A question along the same lines of the gent that started this thread.
I bought a 67 barracuda from the original owner who was in the middle of a move when he sold me the car. He’s sure he has the keys but has yet to find them as he unpacks boxes.
I would love to get into the trunk but I don’t want to drill the lock as I’m still hopeful he will find the original keys that came with the car on day 1.
Is there a way to open the trunk on a fastback barracuda without a key?
Is it possible to get in through the back seat or are you locked out of the interior, too? I couldn't do that in my case because the trunk was jammed full. You may be able to break in to the car, then go in through the back seat.

I am trying to avoid drilling it since I’ll be pissed when the old owner finds the original keys and I’ll have a drilled trunk lock , repop cylinder with cheap new key.
Of course if he can’t find them that will be my only choice.

Keys are not a big deal. remove the door panel, and the door lock, and take to locksmith (door and ign should be the same key, unless one has been changed). Remove rear seat to gain access to the trunk and open trunk from inside, remove lock and take to locksmith. Or if you don't want to bother, take the whole car to a locksmith, and let him do the job.

Or bring the glove box lock into the locksmith, it's the same key as the trunk...

No sadly. 360.

Nothin wrong with a 360!

Yep nothing wrong with a 360...

My dad had a 76 Charger when we were kids... That thing got 20 mpg on the highway with a 26 gallon tank... We could drive 500 miles on a tank of gas... We would have to stop to pee before filling up with gas....

I am trying to avoid drilling it since I’ll be pissed when the old owner finds the original keys and I’ll have a drilled trunk lock , repop cylinder with cheap new key.

Drill, baby drill...

Oh wait, that's for oil, not cars... :BangHead:

If you can get into car, fold down rear seat and the other carpeted panel folds down to the trunk. Take a knife or scraper and slide along to force latch down.

I can get into interior. I’m hoping he finds the keys before getting it. No way to steer it without. Loading will be fun. I can remove the driveshaft so it will roll.

Two very different cars with similar questions and unlikely the same answers.

I can get into interior. I’m hoping he finds the keys before getting it. No way to steer it without. Loading will be fun. I can remove the driveshaft so it will roll.
Should be able to simply disconnect the transmission shift linkage to put it in neutral.

So it was suggested to me with my fastback that with the rear seat down you can get to the rear plywood panel that separates the trunk from the car, fold that down and then reach in and open the trunk at the latch.
Any suggestion on how to go about folding down that separating panel from the car interior side?
How is it latched?

So it was suggested to me with my fastback that with the rear seat down you can get to the rear plywood panel that separates the trunk from the car, fold that down and then reach in and open the trunk at the latch.
Any suggestion on how to go about folding down that separating panel from the car interior side?
How is it latched?
Post 33, there should be a spring loaded latch mechanism. On my 75 Dart Sport there were 2. I'm not sure if you will have much room to get anything in there or not but might be worth a try.

Does the plywood divider fold down in towards the front of the car, or down and back towards the rear of the car?

our local town locksmith. He took an aluminum blank, inserted and turned it with a little pressure, then proceeded to file the knicks with a triangle file. repeated that a few more times and in a minute or two, he was in. Blew my mind. Charged me 10 bucks.
this method works so well, had a guy do that at a car auction, took him 2minutes per lock.
not you only choice at all. Call around and find a guy that can do the wiggle the key and file method. Quick and painless.

Or bring the glove box lock into the locksmith, it's the same key as the trunk...
It is, BUT. First off a glove box lock is optional on a Barracuda fastback. Second, it only uses three key cuts not the five that are on the key.

As has been stated, a good locksmith can make an impression on a new key. The years of grime in the cylinder will leave a mark on the key.

I climbed into the very back of the car today, and I can see where the 2 latches are located on the top of that rear plywood trunk divider.
It would be very helpful if someone could post up a photo or 2 of what those latches look like so I know how to go about trying to open them from the inside of the car and not wrecking anything.
Thanks in advance for a photo or 2!

There is only 1 latch, I believe right in middle. I can post a pic in an hour or so....
I climbed into the very back of the car today, and I can see where the 2 latches are located on the top of that rear plywood trunk divider.
It would be very helpful if someone could post up a photo or 2 of what those latches look like so I know how to go about trying to open them from the inside of the car and not wrecking anything.
Thanks in advance for a photo or 2!

-
Back