Buying all new wiring this winter for the Duster- where to go?

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
I'm buying all new wiring for the Duster this winter. I'm tired of having the electrical demons I am facing right now with the car. So I'm replacing every harness this winter. What are the best harnesses and where's the best place to get them? Do they even make every harness? It's for my '73 Duster 318 auto. Cash is not so much of an issue (feels good saying that for once!) so I don't want to buy cheap harnesses....I prefer something reletively simple to install (basically out of the box and into the car type thing).

Evans supplies Year One, which is where I bought my entire harness for my car (back when I too was saying "money is not a problem....yet.") If you catch a sale code for Year One you can save as much as 25% on orders over $1,000, which is damn near what the entire harness will cost from bumper to bumper. Make a list for other needed goodies and wait for that sales code. The harnesses dropped right in and everything worked as it should. Best peace of mind you can do on a restoration.

Good luck with your project!

Here's how the harnesses break down:

There's the forward light harness, which is the headlights, parking lights, side marker lights, etc....This connects to the bulkhead connector and ties into the dash harness.

Then there's the engine harness, which you can get already modified for electronic ignition and the later dual-field alternator, which has your starter wiring, coolant sensor lead, oil pressure, and the a fore mentioned ignition and alternator wiring. This goes to the bulkhead connector and meets....

The pricey one, the dash harness. This goes from the firewall bulkhead connector up to the dash and has the light switch, gauges, wipers, fuse box, etc. This harness terminates at the left footwell where it continues to.....

The rear light harness, which goes from the left footwell back to the rear tail, brake, directional, reverse lights, and the fuel sending unit.

BTW: If your thinking about adding a third brake light, electric fuel pump, power trunk release, etc. plan it out now and route that auxiliary harness with the new one. Much easier to do now while your pulling up carpet and trim.

Guys, wiring intimidates a lot of people. There's no mystery to it. If you take your time and PAY ATTENTION (no blaring radios, drunk friends, screaming children, barking dogs ...or wive's.) and it's easy. When your distracted or not paying attention is where the trouble starts. Wiring is a circle. Power in, ground out. Clean, tight connections is, in a very broad stroke, about it.

Okay, all I can find for the modified electronic ignition for A body is "
"Eng / Fwd Light Mod For Elec Ign"

And the closest thing listed is for a '70 A body with 318 or 340.

Evan's does not supply Year One.

M & H Wirring is exclusive to Year One. http://www.wiringharness.com/ You cannot buy Mopar stuff from M & H direct. As stated here: http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/Chrysler_Wiring_Harnesses.pdf

I think the Evans stuff has been known to be not as accurate and you may have to re-use some connectors in certain particular applications. The M & H/Year One stuff seems to have more accurate webbing, wire colors, connector molds are better...

Evans supplies Year One, which is where I bought my entire harness for my car (back when I too was saying "money is not a problem....yet.") If you catch a sale code for Year One you can save as much as 25% on orders over $1,000, which is damn near what the entire harness will cost from bumper to bumper. Make a list for other needed goodies and wait for that sales code. The harnesses dropped right in and everything worked as it should. Best peace of mind you can do on a restoration.

Good luck with your project!

Awesome, thank you!!! Third brake light? How does that work?

Add a power feed from the brake light switch back to the third light and ground the light where it mounts. Just a single wire from the hot side of the switch when the pedal is depressed. NOT the power-in side! This way you by-pass the directional switch, which is where the turn signal circuit interrupts the brake light. Adding a wire directly from the brake light switch isolates that function independent of everything else. This way the factory system remains intact.

As for the light itself, I bought a 7" LED unit from a Street Rod parts supplier I found on e-Bay. Here's a picture of mine as I was still assembling my car.
SANY0024-vi.jpg

SANY0016-vi.jpg

Again, if your pulling up carpet and trim to install a new harness, add circuits you may upgrade to. Trunk release, stereo amp,fuel pump,etc....

Evan's does not supply Year One.

M & H Wirring is exclusive to Year One.

My mistake, I knew one of them was exclusive to Year One. My bad....

But still, the prices are within a few dollars. I think it would make sense to deal with Year One and maybe catch a sale if the order is big enough.

Thanks for the links and info Steve.

My mistake, I knew one of them was exclusive to Year One. My bad....

But still, the prices are within a few dollars. I think it would make sense to deal with Year One and maybe catch a sale if the order is big enough.

Thanks for the links and info Steve.

That said, I think Evans will make you up custom stuff to order. If you need something weird and one-off, Evans is probably the place to look at.

Were as I don't think Year One will do custom stuff.

Okay, all I can find for the modified electronic ignition for A body is "
"Eng / Fwd Light Mod For Elec Ign"

And the closest thing listed is for a '70 A body with 318 or 340.

I was looking at Year One's site...still wondering about this though?

I`ve used Year One for three different cars and have always been able to plug in and play. I highly recommend their harnesses.

i am gonna do e-z wireing. its a universal kit for about $150 i think. mor work but you can play with it and make it truley wat you need and make it cleaner(or messier) but cudaspaz and mullinx both used this kit i believe and theirs look great and they said its not to bad. they eliminate the bulkhead so no worries to think about there and have a modern fuse box that you can mount where you would like lol.

I have used the Year One harness.As been stated its plug and play.Whatever you do make sure you compare the new harness to the old.For example on my 1970 Duster it has factory A/C.I had to use that part of the circuit and plug into the new harness.Also Year One was also considering updating the fuse box to a newer style.

-
Back