Buying back my '74 Scamp

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
About 4 years ago, I sold my '74 Scamp to one of my younger cousins for $200. He wanted a Mopar to fix up for his first car and I had the Scamp sitting around, at the time I thought "Eh, I can live without it, it's not as cool as a Duster or Fastback Cuda."

When I sold it to him, it was missing the radiator and the carb was missing some parts. I tossed in a like-new Slant 6 Radiator, a Super-Six Manifold/Carb/Air Cleaner setup and a set of cheap wheels with 225/60/15" Tires (with about 3/4 tread) to put on the back. All he had to do was some parts swapping/installing and he would have had a running car he could have tinkered with to learn on.

Here she was, the day I sold her to my cousin.... The only thing he did in 4 years was tear the vinyl top off (it was starting to tear and lift anyway)

So, the last time I talked to him, he was thinking about junking it and using the money to put toward parts for a Dakota he had just picked up. I told him I'd buy it back for the price I'd sold it, and he accepted.

Nothing Fancy. She's a '74 Plymouth Scamp. With Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Sway Bar, 8-1/4" with 3.23's and Sure Grip, A/C, Rear Defroster, Light Package, AM/FM Radio, 225 Slant 6 (which it returns to me with the Super-Six setup I sold with the car). It has a couple battle scars on the passenger side (the previous owner before me must have clipped something and it gouged the fender/door/rocker/quarter).

My thoughts are to pull the gouges on the passenger side, respray her in blue (and change the interior over to blue), install a new black vinyl top, install the Super Six setup, go through the brake/fuel system and replace what it might need and use her as a daily driver.

looks pretty decent in the pic. It sounds like it finally got where it should have stayed to begin with.

It was pretty a nice car, excluding the top that needed replaced and the scars on the passenger side. No Rust, Solid Floors, Solid Subframe Rails, Original Paint, All Original Parts (excluding wheels/tires and battery), 43,000 Original Miles.

I was an idiot for selling it at the price I did, especially to my cousin, he has no ambition nor love for A-Bodies (even though he comes from a Mopar family). I hate to say it, but his Dakota will probably end up in the junkyard, because it needs a little rust repair and I don't see him ever having the urge to fix it.

On the plus side, the Scamp will officially be back in my hands next week. I have a day off work next week, I'm going over there with my '84 D50 Dumptruck (powered by a 273 from a Cuda) and towing her back home where she belongs. I might even drive her around for a while in the original Frost Mint Green paint until I get around to painting her.

It sucks *** when we extend hopes that a young family member will carry the Mopar torch and instead they drop it and set the barn on fire.
I have no kids so when my Wife's brother showed interest in a Mopar build, I wigged out. I've stashed parts for years and was eager to build a cool car for him. I located a 72 Duster in late January 2007 and bought it sight unseen. Over the years it has come a long way but because Jeff lives in Arizona, the project is moving at the speed of snail.

004.JPG

010.JPG

Here is how it sits, all that remains is the interior and a few other details.

JJ 3.JPG

DSCN1615.JPG

DSCN1614.JPG

The rear alone is worth more than 200 dollars.....and the AM/FM radio is also worth more than 200 if it works

my mom's idea of "lazy" is the person that wants someone to give them their food, cook it for them, cut it up, and chew it for them also. ha;;; but she came thru the Great Depression.
glad the OP got hi s car back and didn't have to pay extra!!!!

my mom's idea of "lazy" is the person that wants someone to give them their food, cook it for them, cut it up, and chew it for them also. ha;;; but she came thru the Great Depression.
glad the OP got hi s car back and didn't have to pay extra!!!!

That sounds like a description of my cousin. It reminded me that some other work was done, by me, after he bought the car. I pulled the instrument cluster out and replaced the voltage limiter for the gauges for him.

He "couldn't get it out." Even after I gave him step by step instructions and told him exactly which tools he needed. Lets be honest, tearing the instrument cluster out is one of the easiest things you can do.

Glad you got your car back! Looks like an exciting project. I bought a 71 Duster about 11 years ago. Needed everything. Got the slant running, put some wheels on it, then it started to sit due to other things going on. I sold it to a friend who lived 90 miles away site unseen based on my description and a few pics. He asked if I could store it until he sold a couple cars to make room. Forward about a year and a half later and we're getting ready to move, he promises to come get the car, never does. In the meantime I sold a project truck and got interested in the Duster again. I called him and bought it back for a few hundred less. He never saw the car in person until I had replaced the vinyl top and had the front cap painted then asked me if I wanted to sell it back to him. I still have it!

Last edited:
It was pretty a nice car, excluding the top that needed replaced and the scars on the passenger side. No Rust, Solid Floors, Solid Subframe Rails, Original Paint, All Original Parts (excluding wheels/tires and battery), 43,000 Original Miles.

I was an idiot for selling it at the price I did, especially to my cousin, he has no ambition nor love for A-Bodies (even though he comes from a Mopar family). I hate to say it, but his Dakota will probably end up in the junkyard, because it needs a little rust repair and I don't see him ever having the urge to fix it.

On the plus side, the Scamp will officially be back in my hands next week. I have a day off work next week, I'm going over there with my '84 D50 Dumptruck (powered by a 273 from a Cuda) and towing her back home where she belongs. I might even drive her around for a while in the original Frost Mint Green paint until I get around to painting her.
I would have given you $500 for your scamp and still would if you ever get tired of it. I live in sarasota on the west coast of florida I had a 73 scamp and loved it, now I am restoring a 68 dart gt. PM me if you want to talk about your scamp. Brian (scampman)

At least you saved it from the scrapyard. Fixing these cars up isn't for everybody. You have to have drive, and be able to see the car finished. That's what keeps me going on mine, the vision of it being finished. If you cant picture it, it wont happen. Well, in my case anyway.

An update on this situation.

I own the car again, but I got a better deal on it than buying it back for $200.

My cousin needed tires for his Dakota, he offered to trade me the car for a set of 235/75/15's that I had for my Dakota! DEAL! I traded him the tires for the car (and even mounted and balanced them). Since I traded him my 235's for my Dakota I used it as an excuse to put bigger tires (31") on my Dakota

Dusted....you live not far from me and I have the Dart twin. I have some parts and seems we may need to meet. I am glad you got it back.

Dusted....you live not far from me and I have the Dart twin. I have some parts and seems we may need to meet. I am glad you got it back.
how are you doing on your scamp? it has been awhile since I checked your thread. just wanted to keep up on your progress. I am still intreseted. Brian (scampman)

how are you doing on your scamp? it has been awhile since I checked your thread. just wanted to keep up on your progress. I am still intreseted. Brian (scampman)

I haven't started tinkering on it yet, most of my free time has been going toward getting my Turbo Diesel Dakota road worthy. I'm hoping to start driving the Dakota tomorrow.

If I happen to ever decide to get rid of the Scamp again, I'll let you know. At the moment I'm thinking of fixing her up and using her to cruise around

I haven't started tinkering on it yet, most of my free time has been going toward getting my Turbo Diesel Dakota road worthy. I'm hoping to start driving the Dakota tomorrow.

If I happen to ever decide to get rid of the Scamp again, I'll let you know. At the moment I'm thinking of fixing her up and using her to cruise around
no problem, I was just checking up on it. I just love that color, I had a brand new 74 satellite in 74 when that color first came out. it had the fastest 318 around town, I used to beat chevy big blocks with it. just keep me in mind, thank you, Brian

At least you saved it from the scrapyard. Fixing these cars up isn't for everybody. You have to have drive, and be able to see the car finished. That's what keeps me going on mine, the vision of it being finished. If you cant picture it, it wont happen. Well, in my case anyway.

So I'm not the only person that thinks that way? Sweet! I thought I was the odd man out (in comparison to my friends). My friends look at a pile of parts and say "Ugh, its ready for the junkyard." I look at the same pile of parts and say. "Damn! It's a SuperStock Hemi Cuda" (Example...I wish I had a SuperStock Fastback Cuda) and in that single moment I can see the car in my mind, as it would look complete, down the each individual part

Send me a message sometime man, we might be able to meet. Though sometimes it's hard for me to find a spare moment, I work two jobs and then paint cars at night.

no problem, I was just checking up on it. I just love that color, I had a brand new 74 satellite in 74 when that color first came out. it had the fastest 318 around town, I used to beat chevy big blocks with it. just keep me in mind, thank you, Brian

Nice! My '74 Twister started out the same color too, also a 318 car originally. Extremely weird, that a Twister would be Mint Green with Green & White Interior. I always think of them in High Impact colors, but mine was ordered in Green, though by the time it got to me, it had been repainted Plum Crazy and then I repainted it Rallye Red, now I'm prepping to paint it Plum Crazy again (after I finish the mini tubs and rollcage)

-
Back