Buying My First Muscle Car 1973 Duster 340 Interior Pic

-
It's that simple? Wow, actually that sounds like a lot of fun!
I can't even believe I'm telling a young man about this but YouTube has just about everything there is on every car made. There's all kinds of stuff we can show you and that YouTube can show you. I can't tell you how many times I've asked questions here and people have helped me through some very difficult stuff...

You're missing out on all the fun part of only one of these cars by letting quote mechanics work on your car. You'll find that you doing the work yourself is what it's all about. Then when things go wrong or breakdown you know how to fix it because you put it in there. There's many things we can teach you here we will walk you entirely through every process every nut and bolt of that car. Not a problem don't panic remember"don't run down there and bang one sheep walk down and bang them all!" As in take your time get the car and we'll help you with the rest. Make sure it says Rush free as possible that's your biggest tasks right now and as cheap as possible. If you have a phone and you're doing this from your phone let us know what time you're going to be there so we can read all the pictures that you're going to take of it. You can spend an hour or two there if you're putting out thousands of dollars in cash. Take pictures post them here on the internet and will look them over for you. We got to know when to be paying attention though we have lives...

I can certainly do that! So, from what I understand, the car will be worth buying if it has very little rust, the body looks straight, and the car runs. Is there anything else I should look for? So far I will take lots of pics of the interior, under the car, hood, and the trunk as well as the top of the car. Will also take a pic going down the side of the car.

I can certainly do that! So, from what I understand, the car will be worth buying if it has very little rust, the body looks straight, and the car runs. Is there anything else I should look for? So far I will take lots of pics of the interior, under the car, hood, and the trunk as well as the top of the car. Will also take a pic going down the side of the car.
You know it Rust bubbles look like and you know what a bundle wagon looks like. If you don't rust is big bubbly ugly nasty rust LOL
Or it's been repainted over a crap ton of Bondo and looks all wavy and ugly. Look at it during the daytime absolutely never buy a car at night. look behind all the wheels look underneath the doors look inside the trunk very well all in the wheel well if there's a Tire in there pull it out and look where the tire hole is look down the sides of the fenders inside the trunk all over inside the trunk bring a flashlight or use the one on your phone...

And if it doesn't have a 340 in it it's by far no longer worth $5, 000, but if he's willing to negotiate that doesn't mean it's not worth buying....

And if it doesn't have a 340 in it it's by far no longer worth $5, 000, but if he's willing to negotiate that doesn't mean it's not worth buying....

Oh, if it doesn't have a 340 it's not worth the $5,000? And how much rust is too much rust to the point it's not worth repairing? Also, he said the rust spots are where the spare tire goes.

Also take a small magnet with you and test over the usual rust spots that you've been told about in this thread. Not a strong magnet - something like what might be used on a white board. If the magnet isn't attracted to the body in the spot you're testing, then it's probably full of filler and been painted over.

5K for a running 340 duster, even if it was born with a 318 is still a decent deal, the car looks good, it in my opinion it is a nice starter car.
The pic in my aviator was a running 318 with everything bad for $800. Everybody said that was not the normal going price, I got it cheap, but spent 8 years to actually make it a real decent car.

All, did 340 engines get stamped under the drivers side head like in 67 273?

Did 340s ever get stamped under the head? Assuming the engine IS a 340 that would be a quick and easy check.

Sorry never had a pre-1970 340, they may have been stamped.
It is easy enough to look at the casting number over the starter, to verify engine size.

5K for a running 340 duster, even if it was born with a 318 is still a decent deal, the car looks good, it in my opinion it is a nice starter car.
The pic in my aviator was a running 318 with everything bad for $800. Everybody said that was not the normal going price, I got it cheap, but spent 8 years to actually make it a real decent car.
See, that’s what I was thinking. If the car runs then I could still have fun with it while I work on a 360 engine to drop into it. Would you still think the car worth it if it does indeed have a 318 for $5000? Also, you said the number is on the pan rail?

See, that’s what I was thinking. If the car runs then I could still have fun with it while I work on a 360 engine to drop into it. Would you still think the car worth it if it does indeed have a 318 for $5000? Also, you said the number is on the pan rail?
I know you wanted a car like this for a long time but is this actually the first one you've ever looked at? Isn't there a few others you can look at? at the very least even more expensive ones just to get some kind of perspective? You know people are always asking way more than they think they're going to get..

I know you wanted a car like this for a long time but is this actually the first one you've ever looked at? Isn't there a few others you can look at? at the very least even more expensive ones just to get some kind of perspective? You know people are always asking way more than they think they're going to get..
I have been watching craigslist and classiccarliquidators.com for at least three years now. I’ve never let myself get serious, always thinking I needed to raise my income first and putting money into my index fund. I’ve always looked for the future and never let myself buy anything fun. Now, I have some exposable income ($10,000) and have had my eye on Barracudas and demons around the $30,000 price range. However, I just recently discovered I have $4,000 in collectibles due to a mistake I made with an apartment complex (long story) and my credit is 560-615 which means I can’t get a loan (I’ve tried two classic car loan websites and both rejected me no matter the $10,000 down payment and/or co-signer.)

That’s my story :)

I have been watching craigslist and classiccarliquidators.com for at least three years now. I’ve never let myself get serious, always thinking I needed to raise my income first and putting money into my index fund. I’ve always looked for the future and never let myself buy anything fun. Now, I have some exposable income ($10,000) and have had my eye on Barracudas and demons around the $30,000 price range. However, I just recently discovered I have $4,000 in collectibles due to a mistake I made with an apartment complex (long story) and my credit is 560-615 which means I can’t get a loan (I’ve tried two classic car loan websites and both rejected me no matter the $10,000 down payment and/or co-signer.)

That’s my story :)
I started with a $2, 500 budget and bought a $1, 700 Car 2 hours away. And had no rust. a motor that supposedly ran but never seen it run till I got home. It was a total mess with interior out. We rented a U-Haul truck and my girlfriend now wife follow me back home and that was $250 for a one way deal on the U-Haul. I found a 4-speed and bellhousing about three and a half hours away for $800 and my wife went and got it. I never even tried the automatic transmission that it came with. I also never tried that 7 1/4 rear end. I found an eighth and a quarter for a hundred bucks and for 200 more dollars was able to have a Sure Grip put in. Piece by piece I built a car that I've always wanted..
20140319_143329.jpg
20140311_185437.jpg
20140311_185429.jpg

And there she is that fateful day I brought her home on the U-Haul trailer 2 hours south...

I think I've reconfigured the car more than five times in the last five years. I even put a pink 318 in the car for my wife with an automatic I rebuilt for a summer a couple years ago. I don't feel your part of the car unless you built it yourself.

I think I've reconfigured the car more than five times in the last five years. I even put a pink 318 in the car for my wife with an automatic I rebuilt for a summer a couple years ago. I don't feel your part of the car unless you built it yourself.
That is so cool! Do you have pics of the car when you were done with it? Did you know how to do all of that stuff before you got the car? My skill is most likely 0. I know more or less how an engine works but 0 idea of how to do really anything on a car except put oil into it and put a spare on it. I think I would have to do all of this stuff in my parent's backyard as I live in an apartment right now.

That is so cool! Do you have pics of the car when you were done with it? Did you know how to do all of that stuff before you got the car? My skill is most likely 0. I know more or less how an engine works but 0 idea of how to do really anything on a car except put oil into it and put a spare on it. I think I would have to do all of this stuff in my parent's backyard as I live in an apartment right now.
What it looks like now?
IMG_20190404_202345.jpg

A little Bi-Mart rattle can paint and a lot of saving for part by part... I sanded it down to bare metal and cleared it. I'll paint it in a few years it's still a work in progress but I'm going for a drive tomorrow...
IMG_20190413_101157.jpg

Last edited:
What it looks like now?
View attachment 1715321297
A little Bi-Mart rattle can paint and a lot of saving for part by part... I sanded it down to bare metal and cleared it. I'll paint it in a few years it's still a work in progress but I'm going for a drive tomorrow...
View attachment 1715321298
Woah!!! :O that is so cool... see, id love to do something like that. Maybe I could buy this Duster and use the money I save to put back into it. Again, I’ve never done anything like this. Would this project be a good starter for me? Or would it be too much? Did you know what you were doing when you bought your first Duster?

Good taste in cars in this thread.

I have no idea why people act like only the flat nose dusters are worth anything. The 73 and up cars showed what Chrysler could do with limited technology and tough government mandates. They made a car that could excel for the times and even today they are just well designed cars.

I recently acquired a 74 318 that I am fixin to swap in a 360. 360 even stock form is such a good engine.

These cars are simple cars and if I could build them, then anyone can.

20190403_182237.jpg

Good taste in cars in this thread.

I have no idea why people act like only the flat nose dusters are worth anything. The 73 and up cars showed what Chrysler could do with limited technology and tough government mandates. They made a car that could excel for the times and even today they are just well designed cars.

I recently acquired a 74 318 that I am fixin to swap in a 360. 360 even stock form is such a good engine.

These cars are simple cars and if I could build them, then anyone can.

View attachment 1715321306
Oh that’s awesome! I would love to do the same thing. It’s just, I’m not sure what makes a good project car and what doesn’t. Before I got on this form I wanted to buy a car that ran and didn’t need any work. Now, you guys have inspired me to get a project car and build the way I want and something to be proud of. I shared a craigslist ad that just popped up a few days ago that is well within my reason to buy moneywise but am unsure if it has too much rust. From the pictures in my limited knowledge it looks like it has a lot. Yes

So far from what everybody is telling me I think the best and most fun thing to do would to buy the car get a stock 360 and stroke it to a 409 I believe? Either way it would be a fun learning process I think it’s just the bodywork that would give me the most problems as I am very limited on tools. I’m guessing I would just have to save up money to put it into a body shop.

Bear in mind my car isn't the average car built on these sites. My car was purchased for me 10 years ago as a birthday gift. After 10 years of working on the car this is how it turned out.

My car started off in the condition of the one you posted on the trailer. Here's how it ended.

dsc_1078-jpg.jpg

dsc_1110-jpg.jpg

dsc_1068-jpg.jpg

Now bear in mind I dumped a ton of time and money into it and also have great knowledge of how to do automotive work. But everything can be taught.

Riddler

Woah!!! :O that is so cool... see, id love to do something like that. Maybe I could buy this Duster and use the money I save to put back into it. Again, I’ve never done anything like this. Would this project be a good starter for me? Or would it be too much? Did you know what you were doing when you bought your first Duster?
Did I know what I was doing? Well that's a yes and a no. I've learned so much along the way of what I would have done and what I could do. I know one thing whenever I got in a tight spot I could ask this forum a question and get one crapload of answers. Here's where to be careful with the Forum... There is a crap load of people who are more than willing to cyber spend all your money. Take all the answers and pull them together and figure out what's going to work best for you. There will always be somebody saying by this expensive part because it's quality. Or buy this expensive apart because I did and I don't want to feel like a fool for buying it so expensive so if you do I'll feel better about myself. But they don't say that. That's where having some patients comes in. Don't just go run out and buy the first thing that somebody says. And you got to get off your butt and go look at these cars. Drive that hour and go look at that first car then drive over and go look at this car that you just showed on the trailer. Maybe not buy either one of them at least you have your eyes on what people want and what condition the body is in. Then you're gaining experience. Go out and put your hands on these cars touch them look at them sit in them. Look under the hood look under the trunk lid look under the car look inside the door jambs look at how the gauges work. please don't take this offensively because I have a 30 year old son but don't be a millennial and try and do it all from the computer you got to get your hands on the stuff that's part of the whole fun of the process is getting your hands on it...

-
Back