Buying quality parts becoming impossible.

-
No exaggeration. I bought 3 new fuel pumps for my previous pickup within several years. These parts are all junk, straight off the shelf.
It’s our faults. We were warned decades ago by all of the old timers time and time again, “ Buy American”. “ Buy American. “ We laughed that off.
Now there’s never any turning back, regardless of what changes we are led to believe to be taking place. We are in too deep. We have allowed the rich to con us. Time and Time again. We know this stuff kills the American economy.
Where do all people go to shop ? Walmart. Walmart is China. We as people are hypocrites and we have hung ourselves. We are in so damn deep, we have no other choices to shop or work for that matter. The only jobs in this country is being a damn truck driver. Hauling all of China’s **** around the country. It’s our faults. We screwed our selves. It’s not gonna get better. The rich are investing too much into this cheap junk, cheap labor. It allows them to make a lot more money. Our labor is too expensive. People feel they’re entitled to $30 an hour with full benefits and do the least they can to earn that wage. “ I’ll just show up and collect a check.” Not everyone, but it’s too abundant today. The rich have found ways around all of this and we continue to buy into their bs. It’s our faults !!! Rant over, lol !

I have a great parts store owned by a friend that worked with me in the mines 40 years ago. He has sons that will take it over when he gives it up. You would not believe the stock that he keeps and he has staff that knows what you are talking about too. He has about 15 delivery trucks and supplies a lot of the shops in Northport and Tuscaloosa. I was amazed when I was building my 67 GT and decided to replace steering box while engine was out. I went in and asked if they could get me a steering sector for a 67 Dart GT. Without missing a beat Virgil asked 6 cyl or V-8. I asked what difference it made and he said V-8 had closer ratio so I asked if he could get me one and he replied that they had both in stock and were the same price so which one did I want.

After 3 master cyls for my 84 Gran Fury I got one from napa it worked perfect. One bad brake cailper for my pickup. One bad brake caliper for my son's Thunderbird.

I go in with a part number from their web site. Say this is what I need. Them: for what vehicle. Me: what does it matter I need this part with this part number. Them: I have to look it up by vehicle. Me: fine Vehicle is a 1975 Plymouth Duster with a 1989 318. Them who makes it. Me it's a Plymouth. Them I don't see a listing for a 89 Plymouth Duster. Me it is a 75 with a 89 engine. Me: I need a bosch Oil filter p/n ST3402 short filter. The torsion bar is in the way for the longer filter.

My main issue is that quality replacement parts are hard to find. Yes you can get NOS or even a good used part but, a lot of parts, not all, you buy at OR, AZ, AA or Nap is junk. These days It’s a balance between quality and price. It’s either priced high or china cheap and occasionally a good score. When I can’t find an quality part, I’ll go by the warranty because you might have to to replace it. Brakes are not part to skimp on. Same goes for my power equipment and some tools. The service industry going down the tubes but, that’s a topic for another thread. BTW I got the cylinders from Cass today and look like a quality part.

I purchased my 70 Dart about five years ago, finding good parts at a good price is pretty much like this roulette table. And the only color I can bet on is green....

I go in with a part number from their web site. Say this is what I need. Them: for what vehicle. Me: what does it matter I need this part with this part number. Them: I have to look it up by vehicle. Me: fine Vehicle is a 1975 Plymouth Duster with a 1989 318. Them who makes it. Me it's a Plymouth. Them I don't see a listing for a 89 Plymouth Duster. Me it is a 75 with a 89 engine. Me: I need a bosch Oil filter p/n ST3402 short filter. The torsion bar is in the way for the longer filter.
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

-
Back