Bye Bye Gomer - It's been fun

-
For many years prior to the start of the Indy 500 he always sang "Back Home Again In Indiana". No one could sing that song like he did. Great memories. RIP Jim.

Some time in the 1970's, when I was a young lad, I was gonna watch a ball game. The announcer said that Jim Nabors was going to sing the National Anthem. I said, "oh no, not him". My mom said, "just wait, this will be good". She was right. I still think of him singing the Anthem whenever I hear it played.
Actually, I should have known better. He sang at least once in the Andy Griffith Show and Gomer USMC. Guess it didn't key in.

I remember hearing him sing "The impossible dream". I wonder why he ever did comedy with that voice. RIP

I was always amazed when you listened to Gomer Pyle and then Jim Nabors sing? I thought there is no way this is the same person! RIP.

I remember hearing him sing "The impossible dream". I wonder why he ever did comedy with that voice. RIP
I heard him sing that song too. Amazing. I will always remember watching the Gomer Pyle USMC show and laughing at the way he drove Sgt Carter absolutely crazy. RIP

R.I.P. Gomer. Like watching the Andy Griffith show, and yes he had a great voice too.

I was never a big fan of the Andy Griffith show myself.
However, as a huge fan of the Indy 500 as a kid (and as a bigger kid now), I do remember him singing the "Back Home Again" song.
I happened to be traveling thru Indianapolis this year the week before the race. The song was blaring throughout the airport on the way to the car rental station. Actually made me choke up a bit knowing that his health was not good at the time.
May he RIP, and the voice live on.

-
Back