bypassing heater hoses

-

mopar4eva

Reaction score
I have 68 dart with 340 magnum with a M1 intake manifold. I want to bypass the heater core. Can this be done and if so does anyone have a picture to reference by or any pointers. Thanks for the help

Use a shorter piece of hose and connect to the two points on the engine where the heater hoses hook to forming a loop.

So pretty much there would be two hoses from water pump to intake ? Can you just plug the smaller hole on the intake and water pump

So pretty much there would be two hoses from water pump to intake ? Can you just plug the smaller hole on the intake and water pump

I believe so, I've never taken the time to do it though.

Someone else can clarify.

It can and has been done by a few members, but you have to be REALLY carefull and go slow or you will crack the nipple on the waterpump.
Performance and cooling wise it makes no real difference to the engine. (just so you know)
It does however clean up the looks of the motor and engine compartment.

It can and has been done by a few members, but you have to be REALLY carefull and go slow or you will crack the nipple on the waterpump.
Performance and cooling wise it makes no real difference to the engine. (just so you know)
It does however clean up the looks of the motor and engine compartment.

He said nipple, yeehaw. That's good to know Greg, I'll probably go that route on my new (to me) engine.

Can you just plug the smaller hole on the intake and water pump

That's what I did. But as stated-be careful when tapping the water pump nipple as it is very thin and will split easily. I tapped just a little at a time and kept testing the plug until it was where I wanted it.

Attached Is a picture of my set up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 328
Here are the pics of my water pump. Orange one is currently on the car and the bare alum water pump shows the threads from an old pump I had laying around. It is a 1/4" pipe thread plug, and I think I was able to just tap the existing hole without drilling bigger, but not positive on that. Just make sure you put some grease on the tap to hold the chips rather than letting them fall into the pump

Attachments

• IMG_20140414_181200349.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20140414_181239290.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 279
The whole heater box has been removed. I cut a piece of aluminum sheet metal to fit neatly on the firewall and painted it. My MSD ignition is mounted under the dash where the heater box was. It is attached to the firewall to the sheet metal I put on.

If you are leaving the heater box in place you could almost just cap the tubes with the rubber caps posted above and it will give a little cleaner look than just the tubes sticking out.

In the past I cut a short piece of heater hose and put it on the water pump fitting and then capped the other end with a unilug lug nut for a 1/2 stud, did the same with the intake fitting.

-
Back