C/L Price Opinions

-

middleagecrisis

Reaction score
I'm looking at this '76 Dart Sport and curious what others think about the condition of the car vs. fair market price. I'm not interested IF people like Dart Sports or not, just is the price reasonable for the year and condition of the car. I spoke with the owner about the car and the car is rust free with a re-ringed 360 with ~350 miles. He bought it as a 318 car that had been setting for 15 years. The A/C needs to be charged, tires are old and not road worthy. The 904 trans is original and stock, so I'm sure it's not up to too much abuse. I'm in San Antonio and would have to trailer the car back. Thanks!

http://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5482737708.html

I have no idea about the normal price, but being paranoid always makes me wonder what's covered up. The interior will need a bit of work I'm betting those front seats will be rough.. What was forgotten or went unseen when the car went down to bare metal? Are you going to have bubbling over 50% of the paint and about 2 gallons of bondo when you try to clean it up? Body work is probably my least favorite thing the rest is fairly simple and can be tackled while still being able to drive for the most part.. its always good to check up on the history.. which shops has it been to or does he know the previous owner? Like I said I'm paranoid, so at the least I would find out where he got it painted or quiz him on metal prep and the products he used.

His asking price is $8K ?

If yes, my opinion is that the mid-70s Dart Sports should be more in the $6K range as it sits.
Figure that car needs tires, new tranny rebuild and other parts/gaskets due to sitting unused.

The beak front end, the huge bumpers and the heavier chassis reinforcements including door beams means those years are not as visually appealing as the 1970 - 72 Dusters and Demons, and since they are heavier, more weight means less performance in every category.

You could buy it - for $5500 - 6200 and address the issues listed above, but unless you are in love with the car, no way you should pay anywhere close to $8K (way overpriced).

Does he have pics of it down to bare metal? I'd really have to see the paint in person Buford I'd even consider buying it. The seller would have been better off selling with the original paint on it no matter what it looked like.

8k seems high to me being s beak car and knowing it needs tires,Int and most likely a trans. And god knows what else. I wouldn't trust the motor too much either.

IMO, it's about $4K too much for what I see and you describe. Maybe less than that if the work that's been done sucks. It's pretty though. But not $8K pretty.

You'd have to look at it in person. IF the underneath is rock solid and clean, and IF the car under close investigation appears to be very straight and solid (your looking in the trunk, under the hood, on your back crawl'n around underneath), and if YOU love it, can't live without it, offer 7000. But it's not an investment to sell or flip. Better make sure you like it because if you upgrade wheels, tires, re-fresh the tranny, you will be close to 8500. That will make it a keeper unless your willing to loose a little when you sell it.

Nice looking car at $4-5.5K. If not a factory DB car, drop offer by $300. If a SBP drum brake car drop offer by $750. IMO, car needs wheels ($1K), tires ($500), and seat upholstery (>$1000 if out-sourced). If it did not have these knocks, it might be worth $8K. If front seats came out of something else, drop offer by $500 as it will need custom work to re-cover. Paint looks good in photos. Surface prep and materials used are important. If cheap paint used, don't expect much surface prep was done. It would say to me that the car was primped to sell. BTW: Looks more like a late Duster stripe than a Demon. Q: What tranny installed?

Appreciate al the feedback guys! What's underneath the paint and was the cam broke in correctly are my two biggest concerns. I'm definitely looking for a keeper, and not a car to flip. I'm probably going to look at another Mopar tomorrow that's 8 hours closer.

condition? buy a complete project, do all the work yourself, or pay a good shop. mechanicals, body/paint, etc...... then figure what you have in it! and YOU know what the quality of work was. don't want to go that route? buy and take your chances.

price? what a car sells for in general is not the same as in other parts of the country. armchair appraisals? who can really tell what by pictures??????

desirability? less..... majority will pay more for 67-72 car. so what is this model worth? like ANY model, whatever you feel comfortable paying. will you ever sell and get all your money back? who knows.

Nice looking car at $4-5.5K. If not a factory DB car, drop offer by $300. If a SBP drum brake car drop offer by $750. IMO, car needs wheels ($1K), tires ($500), and seat upholstery (>$1000 if out-sourced). If it did not have these knocks, it might be worth $8K. If front seats came out of something else, drop offer by $500 as it will need custom work to re-cover. Paint looks good in photos. Surface prep and materials used are important. If cheap paint used, don't expect much surface prep was done. It would say to me that the car was primped to sell. BTW: Looks more like a late Duster stripe than a Demon. Q: What tranny installed?

If you dropped the price for everything that needed to be done for the car at market value, you'd basically be asking him to pay you to take it off his hands when all is said and done. It's nice in theory but there's a reason why we don't get nearly what we put into them when we sell them.

I don't think it's a terrible start at $8k. Take a stripped out car and build it up. Would you be where he is at with $8k? Probably not. I'm guessing it sells for $6500 in the end but that's only because it's a beak car.

I think its fair, you aren't going to fix one up for less than that including body paint fresh motor trans etc. looks turn key and go I say yes its a fair asking price at least in my area it is. Look at it this way, you aren't going to have to paint it unless you want to, you might want to freshen up things but you can drive it as you do that. I went the basket case route and spent more years working on mine than driving it is all Im saying.

-
Back