"C4" suspension code on my fender tag

-

MICHAEL A SCUDDER

Newb
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 340". 9/13/67 build date. I'm in the process of restoring it. On the fender tag under the upper case "C" there is a number "4". Heavy Duty suspension is all I turned up. Is that on all Dart GTS's or is it something specific? Didn't find a whole of detail in the David Wise book I have.
Did these cars ever come with a 1-1/8" front sway bar from the factory? When I bought the car there was one in the trunk along with other scattered parts.

Thanks
Mike

In 67 there was a Rallye suspension package which included 6 leaf rear springs, HD torsion bars, HD ball joints, and sway bar.

PXL_20231015_154258676.jpg

Might be similar in 68?

From 68 salesman's brochure
Screenshot_20231015-101053.png

A FBBO post says C is for suspension 624 is the Rallye suspension and standard on GTS, so C 4 makes sence

Last edited:
1 1/8 sounds big for a stock sway bar, more like 3/4 sounds about right.

Thanks for the response. I bought a 15/16" sway bar kit from a forum member which I think is what is right for the GTS. I was just curious since the 1-1/8" was in the trunk with the stock style 1pc metal sway bar bushings that bolt to the K-frame. Torsion bars look like 7/8" diameter. Unfortunately, the 6 leaf springs were gone. It had a set of super stock springs in it so I just reused those for now.

Thanks for the response. I bought a 15/16" sway bar kit from a forum member which I think is what is right for the GTS. I was just curious since the 1-1/8" was in the trunk with the stock style 1pc metal sway bar bushings that bolt to the K-frame. Torsion bars look like 7/8" diameter. Unfortunately, the 6 leaf springs were gone. It had a set of super stock springs in it so I just reused those for now.
Hemi B-body cars used a .94 which is just over 15/16”.

So the 1-1/8" in my trunk was somebody's add on idea. I'm glad I have what is closer to correct. Motor is date coded and original to the car. Transmission , rear end and third member are not unfortunately but it's still a solid car and a real GTS. Glad forum members are helpful and knowledgeable

No C-4 on my '68 GTS convertible. All 340 cars had the heavy duty suspension so that may have been plant specific for some codes. I do have "624" on the broadcast sheet, however.

No C-4 on my '68 GTS convertible. All 340 cars had the heavy duty suspension so that may have been plant specific for some codes. I do have "624" on the broadcast sheet, however.
My broadcast sheet was missing. All I have is the VIN and the fender tag. Car was built in LA Plant 9/13/67.

My broadcast sheet was missing. All I have is the VIN and the fender tag. Car was built in LA Plant 9/13/67.
That's a different plant than mine, so that may explain the difference. We have two broadcast sheets, fender tag, original owner's manual with origina sale info. We bought it from the second owner so we just have word of mouth on when and how he bought it, but we have his original California registration.

Do you know if yours had the grille medallion originally?

That's a different plant than mine, so that may explain the difference. We have two broadcast sheets, fender tag, original owner's manual with origina sale info. We bought it from the second owner so we just have word of mouth on when and how he bought it, but we have his original California registration.

Do you know if yours had the grille medallion originally?
Yes it is a factory center grille insert car. I have the original grille with broken areas and it had the factory paint scheme so I used it to paint a replacement grille

-
Back