cal trac woes

-

hotrod68

Reaction score
I went to a trans brake in my dart and i'm having one heck of a time with crushing the slick causing it to wad up and unloading the back tires. I've tried switching to the bottom hole on the front of the caltracs and no change. I have the calvert shocks on the rear and have tried full loose rebound to full tight I even switched to a stiff sidewall slick, which helped very minimal. Slicks are 29x10.5w I've went from 14psi of air where i think the rim about drove into the pavment up to 20 psi where it just blew the tire off. I have more then 5 inches of front end travel with qa1 adjustables, I've slowed the front end down and fully losened it. How can I keep this car from crushing the slick so bad? It's very violent out of the hole, The car has been a best of 1.32 60ft before the trans brake but i suck at footbraking. Any info would be great, I'm about ready to back half this thing and put big tires on it

I went to a trans brake in my dart and i'm having one heck of a time with crushing the slick causing it to wad up and unloading the back tires. I've tried switching to the bottom hole on the front of the caltracs and no change. I have the calvert shocks on the rear and have tried full loose rebound to full tight I even switched to a stiff sidewall slick, which helped very minimal. Slicks are 29x10.5w I've went from 14psi of air where i think the rim about drove into the pavment up to 20 psi where it just blew the tire off. I have more then 5 inches of front end travel with qa1 adjustables, I've slowed the front end down and fully losened it. How can I keep this car from crushing the slick so bad? It's very violent out of the hole, The car has been a best of 1.32 60ft before the trans brake but i suck at footbraking. Any info would be great, I'm about ready to back half this thing and put big tires on it
You need a lot better shock and double adjustable at that and whenever you are experiencing too much hit on the tire you need number 1 to be able to tighten up the extension so the hit isn't as hard and then you will need to number 2 control the hit with compression as the only thing that tire wants to do once it gets whacked into the track is bounce back up and tightening the compression will help it stay down. Obviously shock adjustments take time to get each person's car and setups figured out but what I described is the general jist of it. I wouldn't do anything with the CalTracs themselves until you put some good D/A shocks on the car and another thing is you will be faster with a drag radial but maybe you have a certain reason you want to run a slick. The car does not need to be back halved and huge tires to make it work correctly but you will need some good shocks.

Special built converter for your current set-up??

We sometimes run a 10.5 x 30 Goodyear Radial on our 9 Sec
SS Duster with brake. The taller tires seem to help on the sidewall
wadding up. Have you experimented with RPMs on launch.
I also run adjustable AFCO shocks rather than Calvert (Rancho) shocks
once the cars get well into to 10s.

You need a lot better shock and double adjustable at that and whenever you are experiencing too much hit on the tire you need number 1 to be able to tighten up the extension so the hit isn't as hard and then you will need to number 2 control the hit with compression as the only thing that tire wants to do once it gets whacked into the track is bounce back up and tightening the compression will help it stay down. Obviously shock adjustments take time to get each person's car and setups figured out but what I described is the general jist of it. I wouldn't do anything with the CalTracs themselves until you put some good D/A shocks on the car and another thing is you will be faster with a drag radial but maybe you have a certain reason you want to run a slick. The car does not need to be back halved and huge tires to make it work correctly but you will need some good shocks.
Any sugestions on a good D/A shock?

Any sugestions on a good D/A shock?
I would say decent entry level D/A shocks would be Strange, Qa1, Vi King and if you wanted to step up to a upper level tier shock it would be Afco, Menscer....which are custom modified Afco's and what I run now and then also Santhuff's. Just my opinion and some others may also have good input too.

I would say decent entry level D/A shocks would be Strange, Qa1, Vi King and if you wanted to step up to a upper level tier shock it would be Afco, Menscer....which are custom modified Afco's and what I run now and then also Santhuff's. Just my opinion and some others may also have good input too.
Thank you

Thanks. This is really helpful. In the future, I’d like to step up the game when I start running the car. Never a true track drag racer, just a back street kid running the alley ways 30 years ago. Best tire of the day was a McCleary (sp?) or a M&H and you still had to walk the car out a good bit. Or a slick was the other choice.
LMAO!

Thanks. This is really helpful. In the future, I’d like to step up the game when I start running the car. Never a true track drag racer, just a back street kid running the alley ways 30 years ago. Best tire of the day was a McCleary (sp?) or a M&H and you still had to walk the car out a good bit. Or a slick was the other choice.
LMAO!
McCreary. I remember those!

-
Back