California Dart finds its way back home after 24 years

• Thread starter Deleted member 39531
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 39531

New here, hello. Good story, my first car was my Grandparents' 1968 Dodge Dart. It made its way through a few family members before it finally came to me. When I was 16, the Dart became mine with a new set of Rally wheels and Good Year Eagle GT tires. At the time I didn't really appreciate what I had and in the incredible original shape it was in, minus a rebuilt engine. I drove it around for a few years dissatisfied with the reliable slant 6 wishing I could put a big block motor in it and turn it into more of a street rod like what the neighborhood boys had. I even tried putting air shocks in the rear to give it more of a rake but I didn't want it enough to sink my hard earned summer job and birthday money I'd been saving forever to buy a new car. Finally I saw an opportunity and asked my Dad to sell it for me. Bye bye Dart, hello Japanese import. Years passed and so did my Grandparents. I began thinking about the old Dart, regretting that I had so easily given away a piece of family history especially now that my Grandparents were both gone. Every now again I would try to track down the car but had no luck, always wondering if it was still out there somewhere. Recently, I noticed an ad for the same year car and took a peek. It looked a lot like my car. For laughs and because I was feeling sentimental, I enlarged the photo when what to my surprise was my old license plate number staring back at me. I nearly lost it. Luckily my husband shares a soft spot for my Grandparents and said we should try to get it back. In my mind I wouldn't have found it if it wasn't meant to be. And so begins the return of an old member of the family that was away for too long. :D

I am looking for leads in So Cal that could help refurbish and install a motor in it and maybe a parts resource for ongoing replacement needs. Please advise if you know any. It's not going to be a show car, we can't make this a money pit, but I'm hoping to return it to its former clean daily driver glory.

Thanks!

Awesome story! Glad to found your old car....got any pictures? BTW....welcome to FABO!!

You are in the right place for parts and help both, and these guys are very fair about their prices.
(well, most are) :)

Awesome story, glad the Dart is back where it belongs. That's really cool.

The guys on this board are great. You've come to the right place for advice and help.

New here, hello. Good story, my first car was my Grandparents' 1968 Dodge Dart. It made its way through a few family members before it finally came to me. When I was 16, the Dart became mine with a new set of Rally wheels and Good Year Eagle GT tires. At the time I didn't really appreciate what I had and in the incredible original shape it was in, minus a rebuilt engine. I drove it around for a few years dissatisfied with the reliable slant 6 wishing I could put a big block motor in it and turn it into more of a street rod like what the neighborhood boys had. I even tried putting air shocks in the rear to give it more of a rake but I didn't want it enough to sink my hard earned summer job and birthday money I'd been saving forever to buy a new car. Finally I saw an opportunity and asked my Dad to sell it for me. Bye bye Dart, hello Japanese import. Years passed and so did my Grandparents. I began thinking about the old Dart, regretting that I had so easily given away a piece of family history especially now that my Grandparents were both gone. Every now again I would try to track down the car but had no luck, always wondering if it was still out there somewhere. Recently, I noticed an ad for the same year car and took a peek. It looked a lot like my car. For laughs and because I was feeling sentimental, I enlarged the photo when what to my surprise was my old license plate number staring back at me. I nearly lost it. Luckily my husband shares a soft spot for my Grandparents and said we should try to get it back. In my mind I wouldn't have found it if it wasn't meant to be. And so begins the return of an old member of the family that was away for too long. :D

I am looking for leads in So Cal that could help refurbish and install a motor in it and maybe a parts resource for ongoing replacement needs. Please advise if you know any. It's not going to be a show car, we can't make this a money pit, but I'm hoping to return it to its former clean daily driver glory.

Thanks!

I'm in So Cal. Pm me and I can give you local Parts leads as well as getting work done.

Awesome story! Glad to found your old car....got any pictures? BTW....welcome to FABO!!

I'll post some this weekend, need some time to figure out the site. Thanks for your interest!

Posted a few pics in the gallery. More to come.

Thanks!

There are a few local Mopar shops that can do that professionally in north Los Angeles (SFV, Simi, Santa Clarita).

Great parts source is the Spring and Fall Fling car shows and swap meets at Woodley Park in Van Nuys. And belonging to a car club for networking. CPW club meets in Granada Hills.

My advice is to make a list of parts and item needed to convert you /6 to a big block.

Paying a professional shop to swap in a big block into a /6 car is going to be very expensive for parts and labor.

Most every part of the drivetrain and suspension will need to be replaced and swapped out. Just the parts cost alone is going to be very daunting. I'll take a guess at $8000 to $10000 in PARTS ALONE in the drivetrain and suspension.

-
Back