California EPA

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Hey you California guys...question. A friend of mine (Facebook) was asking me for some input on a 67 Barracuda he was looking at. I gave him a few tips on what to look for. Someone chimed in with something I hadn't seen too much talk about on the forum. He asked "will it pass smog?" The car is located in California. It's not much of an issue where I live, we have no vehicle inspection here. Has this been much of a problem out there with our passion for the older cars?
Norm.

yes , vehicles 1976 up are required to a smog test every two years before the reg/lic can be issued , that is if your vehicle pass the test . and has the right smog equipment , yes a visual to check for proper smog equipment . even if your vehicle passes with out it .

Cali. Has been known to do Smog Check's as far back as to 1965 on Transfer of ownership...
Not sure if that has changed as of yet?

And smog check's 1976 and newer.

the 1965 rule was base on twenty year old vehicles . that was revised to the current law on smog tests , a vehicles four years old or less , smogs are not required . these are gas powered vehicles , trucks with diesels have another type of smog requirements . california just made them put after burns on the rigs exhaust to burn up the particular matter from the exhaust or buy a new rig , estamtes cost for the unit installed is 14k , yes 14k . or you can only put 2500 miles on your rig a year . alot of rigs got sold off , just look to the northern states for them , trucking co's scraped alot as well . just thing of all those turbo's getting scraped , should have been buying them up , lol .

I registered my 1967 Barracuda about 2 years ago. I brought the car along, but the DMV guy didn't even look at it. One thing that always helps is if the car was previously registered in CA, which mine was.

My 68 Roadrunner had a PCV system and the carb was factory set to run lean, but that was about it for smog. No emissions tests were ever required. However, even back then, I don't think you were allowed to modify the car to increase smog. Fortunately for many, CA wasn't very strict about enforcing the rules.

Just transferred a 69 Dart from West Virginia, no smog check required, THANK GOD!. ,to SO CAL.

He won't have to pass smog. '75 and older are smog exempt and don't get checked, not even for a transfer of title.

I've purchased a dozen pre-smog vehicles in that last 8 years or so, my '74 Duster was the newest one. None have needed a smog check. My Challenger had a Florida title too and was verified at the DMV. Couple of '74's, a '72, 4 '71's, etc. Oh my '71 satellite had a Washington title, also had to be verified in person at the DMV.

-
Back