Californian FABO Members - be safe!

-

JeffisOld

Old, Ugly and generally Disagreeable!
Reaction score
Any members in the DANGER zones from the wildfires please take care of your loved ones and don't sweat the small stuff.

IT IS ALL SMALL STUFF!

There was a pic of a cooked 71 Cuda from the Ventura fire. Lots of classic cars parked on the sides of streets getting them out as the flames approached certain areas.

Fire doesn't care who you are or what you stand for/like. Equal opportunity destruction. Hope all are safe.

Jeff, for the first time since that big fire in Ventura started we here in Santa Maria were impacted in a noticeable way. It's probably 70 miles as the Roadrunner flies to it's starting point, more like 40 miles now. Never saw the sun today for the smoke and it rained ash on us all day. I took the black hemi Ram out for a blast just after sunset to try and blow some of the ash off of it :rolleyes:. Our neighbors to the north in the next county have had the smoke all week. Parts of the fire have run out of fuel due to things like the Cities of Ventura and Santa Paula, but it got to the coast and turned towards Santa Barbara in the brushy hill country. 800 structures so far, no verifiable deaths of humans, lost livestock and 150K acres of brush and orchards. That country it's burning into now is some rough chit. There are some previously burned areas back there to slow it down some. The borate bombers hang out about 1 1/2 miles from me at the airport, all fine and well when it's safe for them to fly. Just to let us know they're here at 12:20am Saturday night they decided to give their DC3 a tune up. WFO for about 20 minutes :lol: it got my attention. Keep those fire fighters safe, all 3000 of them.

sad whats happing in so-cal with these fires! truely a sad skerry deal for those that live there!!be safe! get out for its to late! god bless!

Wow, I am so sorry you folks have to endure this chit!

As we live in the country with the finest standard of living the world has ever known we sometimes lose track that there are some inherent dangers that come along with that. The folks here by me in NC may never see what you folks are going through in SoCal and that's due to the sheer size of our nation. It's easy to lose track of what you are not impacted by! Mr time moving around in the military at least gave me an opportunity to see more and hopefully remember what it's like.

No matter what your religious convictions, take a moment to say a prayer to your God for those enduring the most threatening and fearful situation they hopefully will ever face!

Update. 5000+ fire fighters. The local news people did a lot of talking but shared little information. CalFire did a fine job keeping the fire out of the Santa Barbara area, only 12 homes destroyed. The weather and the added manpower has herded the fire towards the back country. From the 15 seconds they showed of a real time map of the situation, it won't be long before there are a lot of pissed off California Condors. A wilderness area that is pretty much "no touch", anything done in the reserve is supposed to be hand crews only, nothing mechanized and it is rough. No small wonder the Feds gave it to the Condors, nobody else wants it. Those poor folks in the area it began, lucky to get out alive. 50K acres in less than 24 hours when it began. Those air crews have been flyin their butts off. It's Tuesday AM, I started this last night, computer issues. Sky is bright blue, pleasant surprise.

I'm 400 plus or minus miles (SF Bay Area) to the north and the smoke from the Ventura fires is clouding the skys here.

Tragedy from the Thomas fire, more tragedy. A San Diego fire fighter lost his life today near Fillmore. Condolences to his family and friends. 240sumK acres now, western end in the Los Padres National forest, eastern end still threatening the Fillmore area. 8K+ fire fighters. They seem to have a good handle on it around Santa Barbara and Ventura, but that national forest is some rough chit.

There are vast areas that look like the surface of the moon. Was up in the forest between Ojai and Taft yesterday.

Helping to get the electric grid back up and get power back on to residences, farms, communication towers, oil fields, etc that were spared.

Fire is a odd thing. Will destroy a house then totally skip the next. Same for areas in the forest.

Daughter and son in law and his family live in Ventura/Ojai and after several days having to leave their homes, they were allowed back in. Thankfully the fire didn't reach them.

I have been evacuated three times in almost two
weeks. I can build a snowman with the ash on my lawn. It’s been a chess match. Crazy amount of classic cars though parked on the streets. Picture is from my living room in Carpinteria.

77B7B38F-3B07-41C3-B523-96E149CC0CC0.jpeg

I have been evacuated three times in almost two
weeks. I can build a snowman with the ash on my lawn. It’s been a chess match. Crazy amount of classic cars though parked on the streets. Picture is from my living room in Carpinteria.

View attachment 1715121550

Hang in there. I saw stuff in the lawns/yards and was safer than the house. Especially on the ranches in Ojai where you can get a greater distance.

Monday or Tuesday I might have to stay up in Santa Barbara to help ID electric poles to replace to get power back on. Hope I can get back before xmas.

Sounds like it got into the Sespe Wilderness area, a foot traffic only area. Condors get their ground squirrel BBQed for a while. We had a little one start up yesterday afternoon near LA, in my neighborhood LA is Los Alamos. From the looks of it, it may have been out in the oil patch. They had it covered in short order. Rail service up the coast is on hold, passenger and freight. United Airlines suspended flights at Santa Barbara airport. Ventura evacuations were lifted. As DartGames front row seat shows, Santa Barbara area still has major issues. 260k acres it was closing in on last night. 8000+ firefighters, some of which were at Tractor Supply Co yesterday buying expendable equipment. Local news had a fire expert on the news last night, he had talked to a firefighter that stated "the fire is burning INTO the wind. That isn't normal".

Yesterday, they let people back into the Ventura city neighborhood above Foothill blvd that had so many homes lost so close together. Replaced around 100 electric poles there, so power is back to homes that are ok to receive it.

Going home from work Saturday saw these cars being hauled out. The start of a massive clean up...

IMG_0652.JPG

Last edited:
The Ventura area that was hit hard

Sad to see this mustang. It survived, just toasted heavily in the front.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0638.JPG

Local news had a fire expert on the news last night, he had talked to a firefighter that stated "the fire is burning INTO the wind. That isn't normal".

There is a phenomnom were the smoke and heat create it's own weather inside the fire zone. Ex... The prevailing wind can be blowing west at 15mph yet inside the smoke zone, it's blowing east at 30 mph. It similar to a wind shear event IIRC.

They say it's still burning. I just got back from the southern reaches. From 101 it looked like it missed things I figgered would burn for sure and got things I figgered were safe. Didn't see a lot of fire crew traffic on the move, and I know many of the firefighters have returned home. God bless them all!

-
Back