caliper to spindle mounting bolts(Kelsey Hayes)

-
I don't need a drawing sir, fortunately I have one factory bolt to go by and that is all I need. I conversed with my friend for quite some time on this subject, were on the same page, safety #1. I will let you know how I make out, will be a couple weeks i'm guessing.

Glad to help. I hear ya, it's cool but hurts at the same time realizing these cars are over half a century old lol. Snag up what necessities while you can.
Hey Steve, Everything falling into place bolt wise. Working to get those bolts replicated professionally plus another member has a set for sale I can acquire if the manufacturing venture doesn't work out. Its all good.

Good to hear, I tagged you in another thread where a good known member has some for sale.
Hey Steve, Everything falling into place bolt wise. Working to get those bolts replicated professionally plus another member has a set for sale I can acquire if the manufacturing venture doesn't work out. Its all good.

Could you make a spacer to take up the slack? Seems like that would be easier, quicker (cheaper), and just as strong as the proper shoulder bolt.

Good to hear, I tagged you in another thread where a good known member has some for sale.
I think thats the member that reached out to me Steve , even sent a pic, they look new. Responded if this manufacturing venture doesn't work out I will indeed buy them. Thx for the tag my friend. K

Could you make a spacer to take up the slack? Seems like that would be easier, quicker (cheaper), and just as strong as the proper shoulder bolt.
It would have to be a sleeve in order to work and given that is also a process it presents question marks. Again, no compromising on your brakes.

Thx again Steve, Those are the ones. Hoping their still available if my current direction doesn't work out. My machinist friend seems quite confident we can do them correctly and for reasonable cost. Here's to hope :)

Are you going to get the bolts heat treated and oxide coated?Any idea if you are going to be making multiple sets or just some for yourself?

Are you going to get the bolts heat treated and oxide coated?Any idea if you are going to be making multiple sets or just some for yourself?
Wish I could answer your questions but unfortunately at this time I can't. My machinist friend just got my one sample recently and will get back to me after he has assessed what's involved. I've never rushed him in 25 years and don't plan on changing that, I would expect I will have my answers in a week or two. I can't answer for him but I personally don't see the point of processing a grade 8 bolt further? What would be the point?

Wish I could answer your questions but unfortunately at this time I can't. My machinist friend just got my one sample recently and will get back to me after he has assessed what's involved. I've never rushed him in 25 years and don't plan on changing that, I would expect I will have my answers in a week or two. I can't answer for him but I personally don't see the point of processing a grade 8 bolt further? What would be the point?
No worries I wasn't rushing anything I know how long the process takes as I have made multiple sets before..I was just curious as to what material you were using and whether it was going to be hardened..I understand if you can't answer that.

Ok, that's cool what you want to have done.
Personal preference, what it boils down to.
Your lucky that you personally might know a guy with a lathe to do things for you.
Get back with us with the costs to try and have something like this done, at a professional machine shop, at their hourly rates.
You will be in for quite a surprise out there in the manufacturing world.
Good day sir, Took quite awhile to get those bolts done and am happy to say they turned out perfect. Unfortunately I probably won't be getting any more done due to numerous reasons but main reason being the time it took him to get them done for me. Machinist is a good friend but he lives 1.5 hours round trip from me and chasing him down to get more made up is not in anyones best interest ,especially mine when it came to the time to manufacture. I think you will find very high quotes to do them but not because of the difficulty but rather large machine shops just can't be bothered, not enough money, simple as that. If anyone is interested when he finally got around to doing them he used oversized grade 8 bolts to duplicate the originals(only way to maintain oversized shoulder with 7/16" fine thread), took him a little over an hour to do four and charged me $60. I'm telling you this to give you an idea of what is involved if you need to get a set made up for yourself. Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't help more. Kevin

Send me your email or phone # and I will send you a pic. Im computer challenged when it comes to certain procedures but im working on it.......................

Thx for the offer but i'm going to be ok .Lol. I have another good friend that has stated if I don't sit down with him to learn the basics he's going to de-friend me!!!. As funny as that sounds it is true, everyone should be in on the basics including me, its the only way to communicate in some instances. Thx again. K

It's not that big of deal I don't need to see them that bad.Its not secret I just figured myself and others would like to see pics
Once I figure out best way to post pics i'll post them anyway just to show the finished product. They are exact replicas of originals right down to the ends not being threaded. Color is gold/brass because that is the natural color of the grade 8 bolts he used. Will probably just paint them flat black anti rust before installation. Take care. Later

-
Back