caliper to spindle mounting bolts(Kelsey Hayes)

-

Kevin Ed

Reaction score
Ordered bolts to fasten caliper to spindle on factory 4 piston Kelsey Hayes system. Bolts arrived but when I went to install them I found them very loose in the caliper holes. Calipers are fully rebuilt Cardone units, all holes measure the same. Was told this is ok and to just make sure I tighten them up good. In my mind putting a bolt with a shoulder that measures .429 into a caliper casting bolt hole that measures .464 makes me nervous especially being part of an assembly that keeps me alive. Can anyone tell me if these are acceptable tolerances?

I agree, i'm starting to think the same way, loose bolts just don't work for me tight or not. Have a machinist friend that might be able to help me out if I can't find a good source to purchase the correct bolt. Bolts are grade 8. Thx for your input .

Glad to help, I'm trying to find his info. If you have a machinist buddy, it might save you some $$
I agree, i'm starting to think the same way, loose bolts just don't work for me tight or not. Have a machinist friend that might be able to help me out if I can't find a good source to purchase the correct bolt. Bolts are grade 8. Thx for your input .

I appreciate that, not really trying to save $$$ just need bolts that are safe . I did some research, there was a few guys doing them but have since stopped. Another one of those parts that should not be a problem to get but turns into a .....................

His name is Jason, @hemidart67 good Canadian guy! :thumbsup: :canada:
I appreciate that, not really trying to save $$$ just need bolts that are safe . I did some research, there was a few guys doing them but have since stopped. Another one of those parts that should not be a problem to get but turns into a .....................

Glad to help. I hear ya, it's cool but hurts at the same time realizing these cars are over half a century old lol. Snag up what necessities while you can.
Thanks again Steve, I find I need all the luck I can get when trying to find certain parts for a 53 year old Dart. Lol

Just a thought, if bolts are not available you could have some steel sleeves machined. IMHO safer than buying machined bolts vs OEM forged bolts

Also post a wanted ad.

Could i ad my .02 cents to this topic if i may.
Some of you may know me as having rebuilt literally dozens of these KH disc brake components.
Sometimes i didn't get all 4 of the factory original "shoulder bolts" as they officially are known as in the trade.
Yes, when that guy manufactured them, i bought a few sets from him, as needed.
When they became unobtanium again, what ya gonna do?
I put a few sets together with one, two, maybe all four bolts, with Home Depot, grade 8 bolts, and never lost any sleep over it.
Gotta do, what ya gotta do, to get a set of brakes, back on the road again.
And let me tell you, before my Air Force years i was a machinist in a tool shop for a couple of years, so i have previously been in the industry.
So use some grade 8 bolts, but the caliper onto the spindle, use some self locking nuts, tighten them down, then don't worry about it, loose any sleep over it.
Put it back together, have fun, enjoy the driving.

In all these years, nobody, has ever gotten back with me, with problems, if all 4 of those caliper mounting bolts were installed with Home Depot ones during the rebuilding.

Jim V.
hemi71x

EDIT.
Ya, at one time in the distant past, i also looked into getting those bolts repoped.
Even getting a minimum run of them made, it just didn't pencil out cost wise to peruse it any further than getting estimates.
Just way to expensive, and i never would have the time in trying to find buyers for such a limited market for them.

Last edited:
Just a thought...
Screenshot_20221020-201149.png

Early mustangs used the same KH caliper.

I don't know if these are the right ones but worth a call.

OK, I get that also and quite obviously everyone has a different opinion. These bolts aren't just a little loose, they are very loose and anyone who knows anything about shoulder bolts knows they are there for a reason, support and strength. I suppose there are those that trust lock washers, loctite and a good torque bar to fasten but im not one of them. These are the brakes that save your life , there are no compromises. I will have a set of grade 8 made up that fit snug into the caliper holes like they should and sleep very well knowing. Thx for all your input and help trying to find them.

Just a thought...
View attachment 1716000876
Early mustangs used the same KH caliper.

I don't know if these are the right ones but worth a call.
Those don't work.
I thought of that, years ago.
MOPAR'S are fine thread bolts, and those Ford's are course thread.

At one time i thought of drilling out the spindles, and then Heli Coiling out the bolt hole to course thread size, to use those Ford bolts, but i never persued that thought, other than thinking about it.

Last edited:
OK, I get that also and quite obviously everyone has a different opinion. These bolts aren't just a little loose, they are very loose and anyone who knows anything about shoulder bolts knows they are there for a reason, support and strength. I suppose there are those that trust lock washers, loctite and a good torque bar to fasten but im not one of them. These are the brakes that save your life , there are no compromises. I will have a set of grade 8 made up that fit snug into the caliper holes like they should and sleep very well knowing. Thx for all your input and help trying to find them.
Ok, that's cool what you want to have done.
Personal preference, what it boils down to.
Your lucky that you personally might know a guy with a lathe to do things for you.
Get back with us with the costs to try and have something like this done, at a professional machine shop, at their hourly rates.
You will be in for quite a surprise out there in the manufacturing world.

Your right , I am lucky I do know someone who can do them up properly and has the knowledge to do them right. I would have had him do them originally but I don't like bothering him for one off small jobs like this. My mistake, I assumed the ones I ordered would be correct. I will get back to anyone interested in regards to my cost to do them. I don't expect them to be cheap but I don't expect eye opening surprises either. Should be interesting to quell the curiousity.

I have a drawing for the K-H caliper mounting bolt. I would also be interested in buying at least 1 set of 4 bolts if you have them made right. message me.

-
Back