Calipers Sticking on Rotors!! Help

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got the Valiant back on the road with the suspension all done and new rotors, calipers, dual res m/c and 71-74 distribution block from Dr. Diff.

Got all the brakes bled. Drove it and the pedal has pressure right from the top yet feels a little bit hard yet soft.

I can smell the brake material getting hot and the rotors and wheels are getting very hot. Driving at first it felt as if the brakes were applied without pushing the pedal and then it loosened up after a while.

I drove it around 12 miles and they just got really hot.
I guess the best way to describe the pedal is it's like there's a football or something under it yet it stops right when you hit the pedal....barely have to push it.

I still need to do the alignment and the tires are leaning in a little, I wonder if that could be binding the rotors in the calipers??

Would an air bubble in the lines cause something like this??

Wonder if the calipers are just sticking out?
Kind of frustrating.:blah5:

Jack the car up and tru to turn the wheel by hand, then loosen the bleeder and try again. If releiving the fluid pressure makes the wheel easier to turn residual fluid pressure is the problem. If there is no change in resistance the piston is not retracting or the caliper isn't mounted correctly.

From your description it's possible that the acuating rod is holding the piston in the master cyl forward too far keeping the system pressurized.
When you let up on the brakes the fluid is supposed to return to the Master cyl reservoir.

what he sais^^^
From your description it's possible that the acuating rod is holding the piston in the master cyl forward too far keeping the system pressurized.
When you let up on the brakes the fluid is supposed to return to the Master cyl reservoir.

Does it matter which caliper bracket got put on which spindle? Or a better way to say it, is there a left and right bracket or are they interchangeable just by rotating up or down depending on the side you put it on? I didn't think it mattered.

I went ahead an loosened the bleeder screw and the rotor still stays tight.

I pulled the calipers off and used a piston compresser and pushed it back into the bore, put back on bracket with pads and rotor would spin freely, hit the brakes, same thing... would stay tight and have to try and spin the rotor.

I went up to autozone where I got them and the manager was a complete jerk.
Told me the new ones wouldn't be in until tomorrow so I told him I kind of need the car today.
He decided to cop an attitude like this is my fault and tell me to go ahead and look at other stores, he guarantees no one has them, I'll just end up back here so he can order them for me. I just wanted to punch the dude in the nose!

Needless to say, I let him order the set and proceeded to call NAPA in which they will have the new ones in hand around 3pm today.

I will then take the old ones up to mr. attitude to "pick up" the new ones but instead will ask for a refund....sucker!

Hopefully, and by the way the calipers are acting, that they are the problem.

Calipers have steel pistons or phenolic ( plasti-crap ) ?
Can you post a pic of the assembly ?

Once in a while I run across a poorly stamped backing plate that doesn't travel properly without a bit of filing. Depends on the design though.

Hm, I woulda swore there would be a little pressure when you opened the brakes would release.
Must be tight calipers then.
I wouldn't count on new ones fixing though.

Both drag?

Well, got the prob taken care of.:banghead:

After putting the NAPA calipers on it, it drove fine for about 2 miles then got tight again.
I was headed to class yesterday and got about 2 miles down the road and they tightened up again. So, I turned around and headed back home.

Got about 1/4mi from home and just thought about what Trailbeast posted about maybe the pedal is sticking or something so I just happened to put my foot under the pedal and pull up.....sure enough it popped up about 1/4" and all was fine:violent1:

So to recount yesterday, I had to call off work, swapped calipers, and all it was, was the stupid master cylinder had a sticky spot in it.

Drove it all day today and last night with no probs.:cheers:
Thanks everyone who offered suggestions!

-
Back