Calling all 60-2 Valiant and Lancer owners, info needed

-
Does anyone know where to get or have a pic of the clips for the lower stainless trim that goes along the rocker? Found one side looking for the other.

Anyone here put a 61 grill in a 62 Lancer?
I did! You have to cut a couple of small metal tabs of, one on each side. I didn't take a picture of that but I do still have the tabs. Then you have to drill a few small holes for the upper grill mounts. The side headlight bezels go on with no changes. You have to drill the underside of the hood for that part of the trim.
IMG_7660.JPG
IMG_7693.JPG
IMG_7699.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG

It's almost easy.

Thanks, I was told it just bolted in with no changes, but when I tried I saw the tabs, just wanted to see if someone had done it before I cut them off . I don't have the hood trim piece though. Didn't know about that. Looks great!

I did! You have to cut a couple of small metal tabs of, one on each side. I didn't take a picture of that but I do still have the tabs. Then you have to drill a few small holes for the upper grill mounts. The side headlight bezels go on with no changes. You have to drill the underside of the hood for that part of the trim. View attachment 1715296885 View attachment 1715296886 View attachment 1715296887 View attachment 1715296888
It's almost easy.
Looks great! Do you have a photo garage of your car?

No garage, but my restoration thread, "Lancersaurus". I looked today, I don't think I had to drill holes in the upper, I saw I had but some screws in the empty holes. 62 Grill had more holes. It's pretty easy if you have the grill. IMO the 61 Grill is a lot better looking. My first car, a 62 Valiant, had a 61 Lancer front end on it and it was love at first sight! Never got over that grill.

Id like to find that piece of hood trim. Never saw one before. I have a grill and headlight pieces but someone wrecked the piece that holds the fins on one side, it's hard to fab and m ake it look right. But I like it much better than the 62.

Yea, the top trim really helps the look. I was going to leave it off, did not want to drill any holes, but there were dimples in all the right places and it was pretty easy.

This:
IMG_8914.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG

So you get a new shaft with the flange shown to take the place of the ball and trunnion u-joint. This is the easiest but costs the most. You might can find a vendor to sell you a new joint, but it won't be cheap. Is your Valiant an automatic or stick? If it's a stick maybe a swap to a later slip joint transmission, if automatic and you want to keep the buttons, you don't have much choice.

This:View attachment 1715300420 View attachment 1715300421
So you get a new shaft with the flange shown to take the place of the ball and trunnion u-joint. This is the easiest but costs the most. You might can find a vendor to sell you a new joint, but it won't be cheap. Is your Valiant an automatic or stick? If it's a stick maybe a swap to a later slip joint transmission, if automatic and you want to keep the buttons, you don't have much choice.
It's a manual, joint isn't bad yet, just boot is torn. Would like to just clean, re pack and re boot.
received_290296891638605.jpeg

They used to make a split boot that you could try. I never had any luck with them and they might be impossible to find. Good luck!

They used to make a split boot that you could try. I never had any luck with them and they might be impossible to find. Good luck!
I'll make something work, probably a prop shaft bellows kit for boats

Does anyone possibly have a pic of the gas line from a 62? I'm specifically looking for the routing from the front spring shackle to the tank . Is it a one piece line? How long is the flex piece of hose? Any info would help, any kind of pic showing any part of the end of the line at the rear would be great, thanks

Does anyone possibly have a pic of the gas line from a 62? I'm specifically looking for the routing from the front spring shackle to the tank . Is it a one piece line? How long is the flex piece of hose? Any info would help, any kind of pic showing any part of the end of the line at the rear would be great, thanks
Any 62 experts! I'm almost ready to start this thing just the gas lines.

Attached are three pics of the fuel line in the area you're interested in. Hope they help. Rubber line length is 6-8" from factory.

DSCN0836.JPG

DSCN0838.JPG

DSCN0837.JPG

Any 62 experts! I'm almost ready to start this thing just the gas lines.
I got my 62 Lancer jacked up for pics. I had the tank out last year and cleaned the pickup and put it all back with new rubber line. The pickup up as you see is right on that right side of tank right up besides the frame, and a rubber line goes to it from the steel long line. I will get pics of it all best I can.. NOW got to get the wife to download them!!!!!!! just a minute!!!!

I got my 62 Lancer jacked up for pics. I had the tank out last year and cleaned the pickup and put it all back with new rubber line. The pickup up as you see is right on that right side of tank right up besides the frame, and a rubber line goes to it from the steel long line. I will get pics of it all best I can.. NOW got to get the wife to download them!!!!!!! just a minute!!!!
I
hope these pics will help..

100_2480.JPG

100_2481.JPG

100_2482.JPG

100_2483.JPG

100_2484.JPG

100_2485.JPG

Thanks to both of you very much the pics are perfect!!! You guys are great!!! I'm gonna start bending . Another Exner car will be on the road this summer!

My brake lines be are done except the long one to the rear, weird bend at the end. Can't buy much off the rack for an 0-2 car.

Here in Australia the first Valiants have always been highly regarded for their looks and style - just as it should be for a Virgil Exner creation!!
This is our 1962 S, 225 with three on the tree. One of the shots is with the car parked outside the old Chrysler plant where it was assembled here in Adelaide. Have recently replaced radiator, brakes, locks and exhaust manifold - now running pretty nicely.

E09D91BC-CA59-45BC-B6DA-A849E4EBE387.jpeg

6BBD8AFB-E8FF-4CBA-9215-722D8DFBE140.jpeg

AA886D7C-8577-457D-B22E-7DCB8D5D80DD.jpeg

CBD1DFB4-497C-4A5E-8933-2C35FA28808B.jpeg

6D1ACE72-ADA0-410C-993B-2B8FAC6A31F0.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back