Calling All Stereo Heads, Help!

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have never been into radio's, heck never could hear them over whine of a gear drive or open headers any way. So that being said, I have had my 69 AM radio converted to FMR-1 (AM/FM/MP3). It was designed for 4 speakers and has 8 speaker wires and I have them connected according to the instructions. The front speakers are Memphis and they work as they should. The other 2 are mounted in the Kick panels and they do not work. Here is what the instructions say:
To achieve such high power

levels, the FMR-1 uses a bridged amplifier design where neither speaker

lead is ground. Both wires actively drive the speaker so speakers with one

side already grounded as used in some original applications must not be

used. The FMR-1 performs best with speakers of 4 ohm impedance, a

SPL rating of at least 90 and a power rating of at least 30W (50W for full

output).

Now my Kenwoods have a ground and a positive male connector, but so do the Memphis speakers and they work. I have tested the wires and both are hot. I have tested the speakers and they do work. Since this is has nothing to do with camshafts or blowers, I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1684.JPG

Have you tried to adjust the front to rear balance control setting?
That very well my be the issue. The situation is, I have a thumbwheel AM radio and you have to roll it up and down twice to access the fader/ballance and I really am not sure Im doing it correctly. I have sent an email to the installer in hopes that he can tell me if Im doing it right. I think you may be spot on though...
Thanks,
Martin

they used to bridge F and R on old Pioneers. ie. "for 4 speakers use this, for 2 speakers, use that..." try and use each hot lead as the positive channel of a 4spkr system and bring all grounds back to radio ground. I cant recall if there was a bridge switch on the radio to tell it to use 2 hots per channel. Someone confirm this before he blows his system please.......

they used to bridge F and R on old Pioneers. ie. "for 4 speakers use this, for 2 speakers, use that..." try and use each hot lead as the positive channel of a 4spkr system and bring all grounds back to radio ground. I cant recall if there was a bridge switch on the radio to tell it to use 2 hots per channel. Someone confirm this before he blows his system please.......
Will try today thanks
Martin

Will try today thanks
Martin
Ok guys
Got it figured out. It was the balance controll. I just didn’t know how to access it with this conversion. Thanks KitCarlson
You were right
Martin

Last edited:
Glad to be of help, I try but am not always correct. I figured that you were careful with the wiring, and had the instructions. Since the fronts worked, the problem was most likely fader settings.

-
Back